Moving back to Venezuela (for a good reason)? What do you think?

Hi Guys,

I am a Computer Engineer. Originally from Caracas, currently living in London (since 2011). I got married and have 2 kids. Lately, I've been thinking what it seems a crazy idea but here it goes.

My salary in the UK is a descent one. don't want to brag about it but it will help to give the best advice. I currently earn GBP50.000 per year. We pay taxes in UK, which means after all taxes, national insurance (seguro social), insurance policy for my family, I would get cash GBP 2750 monthly.

I've spoken with my company directors, and they are happy to allow me remote work for 1 year (subject of a 3 month trial). So I might be planning to go back to Venezuela for 6 month - 1 year and work from there. The key thing is that because I won't be a permanent employee anymore, and I won't be resident of the UK (for taxing purposes since I'll be out of the country for more than 6 month) they would pay me 50.000 / 12 = 4166 pounds per month cash into my account.

I've been in Venezuela every year since I moved and we always enjoy (everything is just cheap when you bring dollars). We have an apartment in Baruta so we won't need to pay for accommodation. And I still have my car there.

Considering the cost of living, we can afford a 'luxury' life with only 500$ ~ 350GBP. If we stick to that amount which translate to VEF200.000 monthly  (I know, is too much!!  - as today 1$ == 424 VEF), I would still be saving 3800 GBP monthly!!! If we stay the whole year that would be an outstanding more than 40.000GBP net savings. That would take me ages to save up the same amount in UK!

On the other hand I am concerned that I would be targeted soon (my wife and kids are blond that any malandro would recognize straight away as a foreign). Everytime we go there I am in paranoia mode! But we are not talking about 1 month, it is 1 year. I might be paranoid but come on, I don't want to get killed or kidnap or if anything happen to my family I wouldn't forgive myself.

That money would be used for a mortgages deposit for a house in UK for me and my family.

What do you guys think? What would you do?!

Your situation is enviable but I advise you to consider this very carefully.  I think you should first, change the language to Spanish at the top right hand of the page, go to the América del Sur forum and see all the Venezuelans who are now trying to leave their home country.  Second, post your questions about returning to Venezuela now and ask them what they think.

Thank you Osage!

I followed your suggestion! Thanks for the advice!

Hi,  very simple.

Leave your Rolex and your designerjeans in the UK. Let your pounds be paid to an account in the UK which you can handle online, come here and do as I do: live as normal as posible. 'Do as the Romans do'. Well, in this case like the folks in Baruta. Behave like they do. Go and meet your neighbours in the licorería every now and then and NEVER EVER tell anybody about your income. Just some white lie that you do simple internet jobs for a few quid a month.

Open an account in a local bank like Mercantil.

After that you contact me in private and I'll tell you how to get your monthly amount to that bank. Just write to me

Greetings

Ulrich

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not share emails on the forum.

Well, your decision should be made based on priorities. Weight in Life vs. Saving, Healthy Lifestyle vs. Very Risky Situation. Unfortunately, Venezuela is not at its best moment. Everything gets worse day by day, and if that's not enough, you might want to add food and medicine shortage. I don't think is a good idea, but that is just my personal opinion. You might try another country in the mean time, Peru is a good option, as well as Costa Rica. Don't go blind regarding the money. Right now, in Venezuela they even have shootings Police vs. Malandros at daylight, malls aren't safe anymore, and whatever time of the day is just as dangerous as nightlife was a couple of years ago.

So, my advice is think thoroughly before taking any decision. ;)

Good Luck!

Don't come. You'll be only putting your family in risk. There's no food here and public services are wrong. Yes, Baruta is a decent place but all of Vzla is a dangerous place now. How are you gonna feed your family for one year here? If your wife is from Europe I think she will want to leave in the next four weeks...

Thinking pessimist, there is not money enough to pay a kingnap, but if you are positive; maybe they will kill them, then you will spend only 10 USD in black market for the sepulture...it is even better business!

Even considering all the many negative points you'll be much better off in Venezuela than in Germany.

I escaped from there 21+ years ago and I am very happy here. No slavery here.

If you after your move receive something like a small pension or similar from there you'll be a King here.

I can tell you how to get it here

Ulrich
Porlamar

hello i'm from guyana, im need help to track items through the post in-transit through Venezuela,
i wish if someone can help me, i dont know spanish so its difficult to navigate the post office info.
thanks
kay

majosephurt wrote:

Don't come. You'll be only putting your family in risk. There's no food here and public services are wrong. Yes, Baruta is a decent place but all of Vzla is a dangerous place now. How are you gonna feed your family for one year here? If your wife is from Europe I think she will want to leave in the next four weeks...

Hi there,

I did not receive notifications from this thread so I am replying now, after 4 months already living here.

Risk - yes, there is always a risk. So far nothing have happened to us. We've heard histories of course. And things are bad so we don't usually go out after 6pm. All our errands are to be ran at not peak hours.

Feed - well, you will be surprise of what £40 can buy you here. We might not find EVERYTHING but for sure we find what we need. Nevertheless to say that baby formula that costs in UK £13 here costs only £1 when bought to bachaqueros and only £0.2 when we do the Q in locatel.

Wife - yes, certainly things have changed for her. She is not independent anymore. However, she knew what she was signing for before we came and her motivation is that we are going to own our very own home in London after this. So she is happy.

manper wrote:

Thinking pessimist, there is not money enough to pay a kingnap, but if you are positive; maybe they will kill them, then you will spend only 10 USD in black market for the sepulture...it is even better business!...

Same 10 USD you will never get for thinking that way. There is no reason to get "kingnap" if you live a normal life like the rest of almost 30 million people that dont get kidnapped every year. Remember, I am to remain only a year.

Ulrich wrote:

Even considering all the many negative points you'll be much better off in Venezuela than in Germany.

I escaped from there 21+ years ago and I am very happy here. No slavery here.

If you after your move receive something like a small pension or similar from there you'll be a King here.

I can tell you how to get it here

Ulrich
Porlamar

Yes. That is absolutely right. I know a guy in Margarita who is Italian. He lives from his pension as a King. He said the same nearly 300 euros he gets each month, would only allow him to survive back in Europe.

Thanks for your help. I have some friends which are always exchanging their BSF so I got a deal with them - 20 points less than dolartoday. So no a problem and very straight forward. I use an online tool to transfer from GBP to USD at a very competitive rate.

I am only using 5% of my income to support my family here in Venezuela and can say we almost have a luxury life. Meaning that every month I am saving 95% of my salary. In fact, for the last 3 months I have managed to save more money than I did the last 2 years.

I don't know, overall I am very happy with the decision as so my family. I got to work from home so I spend 100% of time with family. Thats 9 hours more per day with my kids than it used to be. Friends are happy family is happy. Bank is happy!!

Its a sacrifice, a sweet n sour one.

Great!

Pleased to read this.

If you want to have 95% of DolarToday let me know in private.

Greetings

Ulrich

Ps: If you ever come to Margarita (and you surely will) call me: xxx
We meet here every Saturday on the beach to enjoy a good beer and to speak english. We: 2 british, 1 american, 1 venezuelan, 1 Guyana citizen and me, German, and several others who come occasionally, canadians etc.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. I'm a 32 year old British male, who is thinking about moving to Venezuela for a couple years with my (Venezuelan) girlfriend. I'd love to stay in contact, and hear about your experiences!