Best Place for Expat

Yes you do need to explore the country some.  Either on one extended visit or multiple visits to various areas.  Planner has told you about the la Romana area.

Here on the north coast (sosua/cabaret area) which is about 4 hours or so from la Romana we have a huge Expat community and a good mixture of locals, tourists and Expats.  We have 5 major super markets (between 5 min and 25 min from our home) including la Sirena, Playero, and Super Pola..  One part time movie theater. and multiple beautiful beaches with all they have to offer.

Bob K

thanks for the detailed reply bob. you gave me a good headstart.

Glad to help.  Keep the questions coming

Bob K

if you don't mind a simplistic question, bob, here is one: in a community where there are "lots of expatriots", do the expatriots actually get together?  are there places where expatriotes hang out?  i am not a drinker and have never been to a bar.  i was married to one woman for nearly thirty years and neither of us were bar people and we rarely left the house because we had to look after four kids.

all my contacts in santo domingo are dominicans. my thinking was why go to another country if you want to be with your "own people"?  now i am wondering whether i would be better off having contact with my own people and minimizing my involvement with dominicans.

so, are expatriot communities friendly and gregarious, or is it like in the states where you can live next to your neighbor for thirty years without knowing that he is lying dead on the floor for a week?

Why limit yourself to one or the other group? Enjoy them both!

Yes and yes.  As planner why not enjoy both.

My wife and I are not bar people either but have a large group of Expat friends from many countries as well as Dominican friends.  We get together for BBQs, dinners, excursions, beach days, out to some bars (not for drinking as such) but to share company and listen to some good live music, volunteering at different charities and so on.  We keep pretty busy.  It is an active community here.

Bob K

so where is this place with all these expatriots barbequing and bar hopping together?  and are these people retirees? vacationers? how do they get to know each other?  where do the barbeques take place?  anywhere people feel like it?  (as the planner might suggest).  who organizes the group to all go to bars together?  how does all this work?  and how do i get into this group?

First you need to be in the area!   Then you slowly get to know people ,  ask around,  show up when things are going on.  For example , in Puerto Plata lots of people go to Big Lee's on the Malecon.  Friday evening is a big night there.   

I am sure there are  such things in almost all areas of the north coast.

Planner you are such a woman!!!!! your answers to the ex-pats are amaizing and logical!!!!I cant wait to meet you in DR some day!!!!  ;)

Ahhhhh  thanks honey!   I do my best.   Just let me know when you will be here happy to meet and get to know new people..

Like Planner said you first need to be here.  Then keep an eye and ear out. There are always events around that people show up at and you will meet lots of folks.

As an example this weekend one of the restaurants features National Swiss day (owners are swiss and just happen to be my next door neighbors). They had piggy races then a very nice dinner with lots of authentic swiss items on the menu and a live band.  The place was packed with expats from 5 to midnight. When ever we go to one of their events we always meet people.

Another bar on the beach had a great live band and lots of folks there as well.

There was a street festival this past weekend in Sosua and the place was packed.  We went along with 8 others.  Ate our selves silly :D

And on and on and on. 

Also volunteering is a great way to meet new folks.

Bob K

Bob you are soooooo right.  Once you understand the culture and some language then volunteering is a great idea. Find something you enjoy or are passionate about and  go volunteer!!!!! Great way to meet new people.....

March o April 2016, Sosua/Cabarete first, going to check neighborhoods.

Hey Planner,

That is awesome that you can rent a four bedroom for that price in La Romana. Do you know what a one bedroom there would go for?  I've stayed in DR for a month at a time here and there. Next time I go to DR I will definitely need to check out La Romana. Also I would not be bringing a car, would that work in La Romana?

Prices vary a great deal.  I know of a 2 bedroom apt for under 200 a month in an entry controlled building. 

Taxis are  it expensive here, about US5 across town.

To Marcvon:

Jarabacoa has a nice climate. Especially at night where it cools down. You also get cooler weather at night if you are next to the mountains like in Bonao. The night time weather is amazing. The town of Jarabacoa is very small. That means nothing to do at night. Walking and biking culture is not exactly what you get when the streets are all torn up and no lights on at night because there is no electricity. Drivers don't follow any rules of the road so that is an unknown. Until you know the area you are living in it can look dangerous. But it usually is not. It just looks that way upon first inspection.

If you want anything besides locally grown food then the only choice is a tourist/expat city like Sosua/Cabarete or in/near Santiago or Santo Domingo where you can have access to organic food. Otherwise, all you get is what locals eat. Which is not bad if you are into a Dominican dietary regimen. I don't know how people eat that multiple times per day for long periods of time.