Cars - leasing, long-term rental, other?

Hi everyone,

My husband, children and I are moving to Mauritius in October and we are beginning to look into getting a car. Having read numerous posts in this forum and spoken to a few friends living in Mauritius, we are 99% likely to go down the leasing/long-term rental route rather than buying.

Can anyone recommend reliable companies and give us any idea of costs, and what is covered in those costs? Also how long these things take and what paperwork we will need. We don't particularly care what make of car, but we want something that is comfortable, reliable and big enough for a family of four.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I invite you to check our business directory > car rental section

hope this help,

Julien

Hi, Yes you are correct a lot of us rent our cars, I pay Rs15000 per month for a Nissan March - lots of us have these cars although I would say maybe too small as a family car but ideal as a second car. My friend rents from the same guy I rent from, she has 4 children and she drives a Nissan Duke which coasts her Rs27000 per month, her husband drives a Nissan March for getting to work and they use her car when they are all together. My rental covers everything needed I just have to put petrol in :)

If you buy a 2nd hand car here, they hold onto their value very well and seem to sell on again with no problems -  in hindsight I should have bought a car when we arrived 4 years ago, for all we have spent on my rental, it would have covered the cost by now. Yet in England 2nd hand cars lose value quite quickly but the reverse here.

Some friends bought new cars by using a loan or savings and have paid them off in 2 years, so this is another option.

When you get here there are many FB pages for local mums only, most of them give information/advice/buying/selling to each other etc - usually ladies only groups. Most of them are secret or closed groups so one of your friends here will probably add you to them.

I found it quite difficult when I got here using a small car, but I love it now, nippy and fits into the smallest of parking spaces, also lots of us use Automatics as there is a lot of stopping and starting, dogs, goats, chickens on the roads especially where I live :)

Good luck :)

That is really helpful, thank you very much Rosiewestie, lots of food for thought there....

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is not allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory, thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hello have you find out about the car yet? i can get you anycar you want just name it.

Thanks Soam we have found something now.

we welcome fdi, if u can't make 35k, stay in europe..

hello have you already got a car?

Thanks, we have a car now.

its ok in case you need one day just let me know,i have an acquaintance who rents car at a fair price,he has both automatic and manual.

Thanks, will do.

Hi,
I am looking into renting or leasing a not too expendive car long term. Any advise?