1-month internship without a visa

Hello,

I read in the blog that if the internship is shorter than 3 months and you are from a visa-free country, then you do not need to obtain any work documents. Is this legally true/right, or is it just a common practice?
I have been offered one month internship in Malaysia and I can visit the country for up to 90-days visa free. If I take this internship and just entry the country visa-free and work for that month, can I officially say that I'm doing an internship? e.g. if they ask me in the immigration, or when I will declare my income when I go back to my home country? I know that the company is giving me an official contract and I am getting paid a small amount.

i.          VISA APPLICATION FOR INTERNSHIP/STUDY/WORKING

For internship/study/work, applicants need to approach their Malaysian sponsor/company to apply for the entry permit with the Immigration Department in Malaysia. The Consulate* will only issue an appropriate visa once the approval from the Immigration Department is granted.

*in Lithuania

Thank you for your answer!

However here (link below)  it states that if the internship is shorter than 3 months, no visa is needed... I also just looked at the embassy page and the work permits seem to be for long term work.

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/mal … aysia.html

I tend to believe that information taken from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website is probably more up-to-date. It is always best to consult legal channels such as Embassies or High Commissions. I tend to agree that for one month its not worth the hassle and the company wont want to make any arrangements. Tax on income would need to be paid in Malaysia not your home country, I would imagine the remuneration is low enough not to qualify for any deduction. If you are hoping for a permanent job, it would be good to understand whether you have the qualifications for an employment pass and whether the company is able to recruit foreigners i.e. has sufficient paid up capital. Your language skills may well be useful in Malaysia as there are a number of call centres based here.

I would ideally like to stay in the country permanently later but indeed, I would do it only if I obtained the proper employment pass. Thank you for the information.

Hello whalee and Gravitas!

Thank you for your interest in the Malaysia Expat Guide.

Following your remark, we have just made necessary corrections to the article "Internship in Malaysia".

Feel free to post your comments on the article if you have more information in this regard.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Best,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

Hi,

Im in a bit of a situation and any help would be highly appreciated.

So im currently doing an internship here in KL and im on a social visa. Now unfortunately, Sudan citizens (which is where im from) Get only one month free visa to Malaysia, and Its quite stressfull to be leaving every month.

Any ideas on how to apply for an internship visa from within malaysia?

Thanks!

Its too late as it should have been applied for before you arrived. If you apply now you alert immigration to your situation and you may also have a problem returning if you do a visa run. It would require your company to make the application. Its actually their problem for not following legal requirements. So while you might want to get them to sort out your problem, they may not even be able to, because they don't qualify to have foreigners working for them. They have to be a registered company at ESD (see link below). That means they have to have sufficient paid up capital to match the type of company they are.

There is a visa that's available for internships if your company want to fix the problem. Its called a Professional Visit Pass (PVP) Category III. See Page 24 on this guide.

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/esdguidebook.pdf