What's the latest development for a foreigner to rent a house.

Hi,
Seems like a lot of new discouraging news transpiring in Indonesia.
1. The import duties.
2.  Foreigners work permit issued max 6 months only?
3.  Renting a house, thus, only can be for 6 months.

Appreciate your filling in on these unfavourable changes that are currently being introduced. 
Yet, the country has issued new regulation on entry visa to multiple new countries.
Also, encouraging overseas Companies to invest.

I'm confused.

Thanks for your input.

Hold on!  What's this bit here:

“3.  Renting a house, thus, only can be for 6 months.”

Are you suggesting that property leases in Indonesia can now only be for a period of 6 months?  If so, where did you hear that?

“2.  Foreigners work permit issued max 6 months only?”

Actually, that depends on the job function/title of the person being issued the work permit. 

The idea behind this is that lower level jobs given to foreigners (because a qualified Indonesian could not be found), should be temporary and that the employer should continue to seek a qualified Indonesian to fill the position on a permanent basis.

Hold on!  What's this bit here:

“3.  Renting a house, thus, only can be for 6 months.”

Are you suggesting that property leases in Indonesia can now only be for a period of 6 months?  If so, where did you hear that?

I think what "myjak" means is that someone is actually not in the position to pay more than 6 months in advance if KITAS is granted for 6 months only.

That makes sense, property owners now need to show flexibility on payment terms if they want to keep their tenants or looking for new tenants.

I see your point Tom, but only if the six month work permit cannot be renewed.  I don't recall reading that after the first six month work permit expires, it is not renewable.  Moreover, what really would be the difference it all work permits were like they used to be...12 months?  Was that ever a reason to only want to rent a house for 12 months aside from those who knew their job was a temporary assignment, or were uncertain about their longevity in Indonesia?

Aren't there plenty of short term rentals available for "temporary" expats?  In my neck of the woods there are.

I am a Bule from Melbourne Australia.

I had no problem renting a beautiful  house in Jakarta only meant I had to pay cash for 2 years upfront while I have only an annual retirement kitas.
They never said I can only Rent for one year because of my annual kitas.. Money talks all languages  Thank God.
I really think here, You may only be allowed a work permit for 6 months if that's the case  maybe you cannot fund yourself  without a job  I feel sorry for you Indonesia is a wonderfull place   You say in your profile you are an Indonesian Citizen  so ask the question   You do not need a work permit. unless you have changed your notationally
Good luck anyway all the best
Howard

It's not my interest to find a job.  My interest is more on renting my Villa in Jakarta since I do ask for a 1 year advance payment, however, I was told to change that to 6 months now that the new law has been issued that foreigners or expats visa is only granted for 6 months at a time.
Thanks for your response.
I am in Italy.

You need to split things here.

A retirement visa or KITAS is valid max 1 year only and one need to extend it.

Today, things change if you are smart so never commit to pay upfront 2 years or longer.

In fact you should not be to happy that you paid upfront for 2 years.....

This in regard to expats come for work in Jakarta that the law is only 6 months at a time.  Nothing to do with retirement.  Therefore, as to rent out my Villa, does a 1 year minimum condition is irrelevant and should be changed to 6 months only or not.
I am not one who paid upfront for 2 years as it is my property so you seem confused.
But thanks for your time to respond.

Is actually there any official or legal relationship between the tenure period and one's visa?

Myjak, you are totally free to rent out your house for whatever lease duration you desire.  Lease durations are not tied to visa durations.  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Hy Myjak,
Its your Villa you can choose how long the duration is.to a tenant .Its all about negotiation what suits the renter and what suits the owner. I have three Villas in Jimbaran Bali.which I rent out on a regular basis, sometimes for a week, sometimes month by month. 6 monthly and also yearly. Its about what suits both parties. Naturally short time is much more expensive. I was lucky I suggested to my landlord I was happy to pay for 2 years upfront for a suitable discount
I received a discount of 40% for the second year provided I do maintenance as required. I have a great relationship with my owner. Its all about negotiation. Plus my Indo wife and 2 sons have security of tenure  and the landlord
Headache free at least for 2 years
Good luck renting your Villa...Howard

I never said anything about a law (there is no such thing)

What I highlighted is that people now need to be more flexible when it comes to advance payments.

Fact is that a number of foreign workers only get work permits for just 6 months thus they should not pay more in advance no matter if the work permit will be extended or not.

Fine if one get a good or better deal if willing to pay 1 or 2 years upfront, today I personally would not do that.

That's my point, happyhour!  My friend who leased out an apartment in Jakarta said she was lucky to rent it out just before the new 6-months visa for expats were issued that now it's not going to be easy to rent out my Villa.  I did already for a yeas and now needing a new tenant.

Another is that now we could only make transactions in Rupiah? 

Then the importation tax has been increased almost double? 

At the same time, VOA are extended to many other new countries. 

Sorry to mix-up the different of topics but what's going on?

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. 

Ubudian, if you remember me, I'm Milan from the old forum?  I'm still living in Milan, Italy.  My dearest hubby departed last year so I need to rent out my Villa which I did already for a year only.  Now it's time for a new one asap.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

Kind regards, Roy

Thanks Roy.  Hope all is well w you.

You're welcome and yes all is well in sleepy Bunutan!

I did invite you to my Facebook but you declined.  Anyway, now you now it's me, Milan, or my real name on FB... lol... good to know you're all well.

I don't "do" Facebook.  Sorry!   :(

I'm on Lombok and five year retirement visas have been available here at least for a couple of years, I'm in the third year of mine.  Immigration Agents don't promote them because it is a cheaper one time payment and agents don't like to loose their higher annual fee.
It seems the laws are not syncronized in Indonesia, all laws are passed in isolation of other seemingly related laws for example regardless of the duration of your retirement visa  (5 years) driving licenses are still only issued for one year.  I guess its the autonomous nature of the government departments
Adrian

Hi Adrian,

You wrote, “Immigration Agents don't promote them because it is a cheaper one time payment and agents don't like to loose their higher annual fee.”

I think you meant independent visa agents, but why not?  Who sponsors your retirement visa?  Normally a visa agent does that for you, as well as processing the visa application.

Google PT Bali Ide as I know they handle visa sponsorships as well as act as agent for other expats on Lombok.

Or, contact my old friend Gemma via her home-stay web site:

http://www.mimpimanis.com/

She's located just outside Kuta, Lombok and she and her Balinese husband Made are wonderful people, and they both “know the ropes” better than most.   

But of course you're absolutely right that there is precious little conformity with the laws here in Indonesia.  It's been that way for all of my 17 years here on Bali…and I don't ever expect any change in that regard.

Cheers!  -Roy

A 5 years retirement KITAP is available but you can not right away apply for it.

One have to start with 1 year retirement KITAS first and usually only after extending  5 years the retirement KITAS you then can obtain the retirement KITAP.

Only (mostly) travel agents holding the different licenses can sponsor retirement visa not all visa agents.

Once you obtain the retirement KITAP valid for 5 years you are entitled to obtain a driving license for 5 years.

"A 5 years retirement KITAP is available but you can not right away apply for it."

Something new Tom?

Back in my "visa days" I went directly from a sosbud to a retirement visa the very first year they came out...and it was most assuredly a five year visa.

Roy, perhaps years back it was the case that you right away could get a KITAP Lansia (because it was a new thing?) but today it is not possible. If I am not mistaken, the regulation already in place quite some time.....

Anyway....we are now out of topic here.

Maybe Adrian should open his own new thread if he has questions.  :/