Driving in Cyprus

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Cyprus? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Cyprus?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Cyprus: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

100 times better driving experiences than in Malta for sure..... at least here my missus will drive  - she refused point blank to do so in Malta  - that says a lot.

Many years ago (about 40) a friend of mine went to Malta for a holiday. When he got back he said he'd had a great time driving around the island.

I said 'oh that should have been easy, they drive on the left don't they?

"Well the English do" he said, "The foreigners drive on the right and the Maltese drive in the shade".

A friend once made a folk song called 'Driving in Cyprus'' you can hear it on YouTube. Google 'driving in cyprus song youtube'.

Driving in Cyprus is a doddle compared to Malta  - 6yrs of Maltas drivers it taught me that... lol

the vast majority of cypriot drivers are oblivious to other road users or  their own safety. start with the way cars are parked.

cant disagree with the parking thing.. londonchap - nor the oblivious driving techniques - nor the inching foward at crossroads and lights ...however still 100 times better than Malta in my experiences

You quickly learn to check all round before setting off when the traffic lights change to green as many times at least one or two vehicles keep on go through when their light has changed to red! Must say I am impressed with the policing of the Disabled Parking Spaces, especially in the supermarket car parks.

driving in malta a 100 times worse than driving in cyprus  toon!!!!!. a very poor reflection on their government and police.

what government and what policing?  = anything goes in malta - the maltesers own expression - not mine or any "foreigners" -------- "we are maltese we do as we please"

police are a waste of time - wardens target foreign and K plated hire cars - - - the laws exist but are rarely if ever enforced...

but on the plus side of Malta at least they got it right for fines and penalties =as they are registered to the car so no matter what happens when the car tax or insurance or mot is due it has to be paid, there and then, to continue with renewals. Any penalties outstanding = NO RENEWAL   

Does anything like that happen in Cyprus...

is their a mechanism to prevent non payment of fines and penalties?

i believe fines have to be paid, as for tax, insurance and m.o.t.,s i am not sure, judging by the state of some of the vehicles, and under age motor cyclists it seems doubtful toon.