License

How old do I have to be to get a motorcycle license in Puerto Rico?

Anthonyrios wrote:

How old do I have to be to get a motorcycle license in Puerto Rico?

Based on this and another article I read, you need to be 18 to drive a bike. The test consist of 20 questions and a 7 maneuver test.
http://www.bikerspro.com/statelaw
The article talks also about helmet and other law requirements.

For cars I know that you do not need any test if you have a valid driver license from the states, but not sure if that applies for motorcycles.

If you have a motorcycle endorsement from the states, you can surrender your license and the endorsement will also apply in PR. So you will basically will have a driving license with motorcycle endorsement.

Unfortunately not true. Just got my drivers license in Aquadilla. Had to hand in my Illinois licence and was told I have to go to Majaguez to get my motorcycle licence. My M-licence did not transfer. I have to take both written and practice test again. Sucks.

Anyone interested in playing tennis? I am 60 years old and have played for 30 years. I live in Quebradillas, close to Isabela. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Chris - perhaps I'll check back with you about tennis after we get there - we are also planning to move to Quebradillas! Aiming for October/November of 2020.

As for a PR driver's license, well... I'm here to learn as much as I can about the transition. I'll be renewing my California license here just before we move, so I think I'll hang on to it for a bit while we rent and decide for sure how many years we will stay 😉
This site has been a huge help in knowing all I'll need to be prepared for!

Chris we live in Quebradillas however we don't play tennis.  I don't know of any courts in Quebradillas.  Maybe you live in a complex that has one.

Hi Kirsten (I assume), smart move to renew your licence. Make copies. May be you can get away without a P.R. licence, although you are supposed to get one within 6 month and it is also the major form of ID used everywhere. You will also need a driving record from the state your old licence is from and you might want to get that already. Then there is a medical exam and an eye exam - mostly a scam to make money - and you need a passport (bring a copy) or birth certificate and pay for 'stamps' .  We went to Aquadilla and had to register online for an appointment 2 weeks ahead.

Good luck with the move!

I never needed a driving record or a passport.

sandrarduncan wrote:

I never needed a driving record or a passport.

Fairly new change

Yes, i started my process last week in Aguadilla and have my Drug program tomorrow morning.  Once It i complete, I can give details on the process. ..I paid 43$ to the doctor secretary to do an eye exam and have the form completed as well as for the stamp that is required called Comprabente.  The driving record from Georgia is the hard part as they only mail it.  I did a little thing thru the app by screenshot the record and printed them in color and hoping they will accept it. Stay tuned

About the license:
As police in PR wasn't really diligent in any regard, they didn't care about PR vs USA licenses.
So I was told back in time I first came that's ok to keep your usa license. The gov. Office was actually being very difficult and unwilling to change ids.
Now, as each little part of PR is running things its own way - in one part you have to wait line since 4:00 am. By the time the gov office opens - line is swirling around building and parking lot. Yet only first 75 people in line will get the DL. Others has to try next day at 4:00 again.
In other parts it might be more smooth.
Same is about requested materials.
Some ppl walked away with their DL from states. Some didn't. (After living here some time this won't be a surprise for you).
Now if you don't change your DL within 3 months and get pull over - you can be taken to court.
Fortunately for me - I was just in USA recently ;)
If you have PR ID - you have limitations in elections.
If you do - you can get (if stars aligned) some documents online.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Regardless of driving license, if you live in PR permanently you are not authorized to participate in US elections, if discovered you will be in trouble.

Thats true

is this thread still active? i'd like to ask the requirements on how to get a motorcyle license in Puerto Rico. Can't find anything on the internet :(

@Sarah Vee

Hello Sarah Vee, this thread has been inactive since 2019. Please consider opening a new thread on the Puerto Rico forum should you not get any response.

All the best

Bhavna