Safety in Ethiopia

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Ethiopia?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Ethiopia and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi,
Regarding your post relative to safety  of expats in Ethiopia, well i would say that it's not so safe enough especially in Addis Ababa because my 2 cellphones were snatched by local people sometime in 2012 and 2014. I was so frightened of what happened to me. Again, another siuation was, when I visited my interships students last April, 2 street persons moved closer & shouted at me saying foul words. Expat like me should be well respected because i am here to educate professionals in post graduate programs & undergraduate programs. I would suggest that policemen visibility along streets of Addis Ababa be in proper order at all times or 24/7. Thanks

Things have changed in Ethiopia, and definitely in Addis Ababa. I have been traveling and living here since 2005. There is a tension in the air, and I have felt recently that there is a resentment against foreigners living and working in Ethiopia. Bad economics, and strain political issues may be to blame.

In May of 2013 I was 'Hung" (mugged) less than a quarter mile from the gate to my home at the CMC. I blame myself, in part, because I had become to "comfortable", feeling as though I was in my own neighborhood, and had let my guard down. I was strangled from behind (choke hold) as another came around to my front. To be honest, I could have killed, or severely injured both as I had my knife in hand, but I hesitated. I was in Ethiopia, without my wife, alone, and planning on returning to the States. I hesitated, and because of this, I woke on the sidewalk, wallet, passport, cellphone, dog tags, wedding ring, masonic ring, and scrap meat I had bought for some strays gone.  No assistance offer by anyone on foot, or passing by in their cars. After four hours with the police, the only physical issue I had was a swollen throat. The following morning, after a visit to the U.S. Embassy (conversation there was by phone only as it was a Saturday morning I was told I could return on Wednesday as the embassy was closed for holidays the Monday and Tuesday), I spent several hours at the Bole Police Substation. They had suspects I had to face, and was re-interviewed by the police. As I would not bare "false witness" I could not accuse them with complete certainty. I did tell one young man, that being older than him, I would be in heaven to greet him at the gate, and if he was guilty of this crime, I promised to destroy him in front of God.

This spring, while working at our company, had had trouble with the "neighborhood" boys/gang. This culminated in one pushing and threatening me. I did not retaliate, as the situation would have become something more then it should have, but the "laying of hands" on a foreigner is something that never happened here in the past, so attitudes have changed.

My advice to anyone is keep your eyes open. Be guarded with your trust. Be aware of your surroundings, and what is happening around you. Trust your gut/instincts, and do not put yourself in a position where something can happen.

I still love Ethiopia. It is my adopted home, and the home of my extended family. This could have happened anywhere, I mention my experience to underline that things have changed, and there is a silent desperation in some of the people in the city. I see too many foreigners visiting who seem to be oblivious to what is going on and they are likely to become a target.

Hi

Ethiopia is a safe country. Addis is very safe but normal common sense should be applied as is the case anywhere in the world. Ethiopians s are a great and friendly, welcoming people.

I feel very safe living in Addis and go anywhere and everywhere with no real safety concerns and travelling outside of Addis is also safe.

There is a lot of poverty so don't flash your wealth, It is also a religiously conservative country and if you respect this in your dress and behavior you will be fine.

Dave

I have lived in Addis for 17 years in all, including past 13 years. Every day I walk the streets and ride the  minibus taxis. I find it very very very safe,  far safer than any UK or USA city. Far far safer than other African  capitals.  I do not sense any kind of change or tension  in Addis.

I worked in Aksum as an assistant professor.  So far during my stay there, I feeel that it is safe and can walk around safely.  Majority of the people are friendly and humble.  So far I haven't encounter a safety problem.  Though most of the time students are aggressive, but they don't attack.  They just complain a lot for they wanted a higher grades, even if they don't deserve it.  But this can be tolerated and can be handle.
The good thing about the place is it is cool and you don't need even an electric fan. Also you need to be adjust to their food.  There's not much to choose but its a healthy diet.

I concur with the advice to be 'street smart' wherever you are, including Ethiopia. I am now on my 4th cell phone in 4 years and have been robbed on the bus but in terms of personal safety I feel very safe and secure in this country. To put things into perspective, I come from a Caribbean island that may be deemed a tourist paradise but have lived through the experience of someone breaking into my home there, entering a bedroom where I lay asleep, and stealing my laptop. Be sensible, be polite and do not behave in a manner that would attract negative attention - anywhere. Cities can be impersonal places but I fell in the road once and everyone near me rushed to be of assistance. Young people (male and female) get up and offer their seat if the bus is crowded.  Age and gender differences may apply, I am not sure.

Hello maam, I am dr. Ana a Filipino, I just got accepted as a professor for masteral students in the northen part. Please give me some vital information as to how to live and be safe. I am alone and I am apprehensive as to the situation in the university. Please miss any information will be of great help for me. Thank you.

Which city/town?