Driving in Jordan

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Jordan? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Jordan?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Jordan: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Didn't find any of the mentioned. People have no respect and albeit I love to drive, I understand people who refuse to, because it is dangerous. Rules? Not that I see. Saw many deadly accidents on the street in situations where I thought, how could he possibly even do that?

What I hate most to see is when they put their toddlers full of pride out of the sunroof during driving. Ya, great. Just hit the breaks and your kid is at least serious injured if not worse. Or the graduates sit on the windows hanging out, honking the whole time. (OK, not that they really achieved something, but seems they were so surprised that they got through exam, they have to party for the next days. Fireworks included. No kidding). A guy I know lost his friends last year during those celebrations. The girl was driving and the car flipped. All 4 were dead.

Many times you see Babies carried on the front seat, even on the lap of the driver!!! Haven't seen a baby seat in one of the cars. Also not for children. One car with a middle class family had ELEVEN people in a car! I took pictures of it... It were three adults including a nanny, the rest from toddlers to teenagers. No, it was not a van.

Worst example: I saw a mother in an expensive SUV with two kids, age around 6 and 9. Both kids were STANDING OUTSIDE on the STEP of the SUV while she was DRIVING!!! How can ANY mother do something dangerous to their children?

Albeit I don't understand how they don't see the danger, I think it is a lack of education. Especially how to place children in the cars, to buckle up, to use a signal (literally no one does), not to race especially in small streets where kids are playing and many things more. Not to park in the third lane of the street, just because the second lane is already blocked with cars who should not park there and you don't want to look for a parking lot. (Really, does anybody here know how to park a car?) They park on the street in front of the shop/supermarket/bank and they don't care if traffic builds up because of them. They do the same even in malls where you have plenty of parking, but he has to block the entrance. And because no one puts a fine, nothing happens.

It seems, traffic signs in Jordan are just a suggestion. No one cares about it.

And the traffic police they do sometimes their work but most of the time they don't.

And if you tell them their responsibilities in traffic or what they did wrong then they deny and put the blame on you.

Indeed I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, this is the way it is around here.

Dying laughing! Frustrating when you live here, humorous when you get to leave  :top:  or just visiting.

driving a car miserable in whole Jordan... no rules no respect... but i can advice you, if you drive your car, ask the car driver who is next to you before you turn right or lift, then he allows you.....

Ufff, I can talk a long time .... :)
During my driving lessons in Poland, my instructor taught me about limited trust to another driver .... Here I have to forget about it! Everyone cares for himself. Unlimited untrust !!! Most of the local drivers do not have a clue about traffic regulations . Rounding out the problem are madmen 'from' the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
There is no 'drive culture'. Road signs or traffic lights is not 'command' but 'suggestion'.
Hazardous blocking traffic lanes is the norm, even for a roundabout or a dangerous intersection. Especially at larger supermarkets or restaurants. Why they should not to go to the underground parking? Because it will take 5 minutes longer ... I do not know whether this is due to the lack of respect for the rights of another human being, pure stupidity or only because of the lack of proper supervision ...
As for the road, I saw worse. But in comparison to other countries in the region (listed UAE, Saudi and Qatar) are by far the weakest. Roads very poorly marked. There are no designated lanes and even provokes it to "wild ride". The lack of any care of the roads. The road is built, the money paid and is forgotten. It happens, unfortunately, with most public investment in the country.
Subject to a long debate ....

Oh don't get me started about the driving and road conditions in Jordan lol. for starters there is way too many vehicles and terribly designed roads (if that's what you can call most of them). The lack of respect is totally stupid and as mentioned above by another poster is the stupidity of people that drive with small children on their laps, hanging out of windows or sunroofs, Do the cops ever do anything? every time we see then they are either too busy talking on their cell phones or just stood there smoking.

Another thing that is annoying is the amount of people or should I say idiots that think it's cool to drive whilst having a cell phone stuck to their ears, We actually saw one woman putting on her make-up while driving on airport road, the same woman caused a accident and her car was upside down on top of the central barriers, In my opinion it serves her right, but it's usually innocent drivers that get hurt by people like this. Why doesn't the government invest in building a better iroad nfrastructure instead of all these high rise apartments that are now everywhere (most empty)?. Its one big concrete jungle, the road signs are terrible and the few traffic lights that you end up stuck at for ages are just a waste of time with all the other drivers beeping horns and trying to cut into the smallest gap. At the end of the day it all boils down to one thing  which is IGNORANCE!

Oh and I also happened to pass some idiots driving a small Toyota pick up truck with 2 horses stood on the back and actually driving at speed on the road near to where Ikea is situated. I mean are people really too stupid to see the dangers of their actions or am I missing something? lol

Wow this is a big question but come on guys it's not as bad as all that.  No driving in Jordan is not like driving in the UK although I have to say in recent years and the lack of police on UK roads, we're fast catching up with developing countries - I mean we really are going back in the UK.

I've driven in Jordan for a long time, safely and accident free.  Mainly because if I don't feel alert I don't drive.  Basically I look at it this way .......... in 2040 (if I live that long) we might be flying in tiers in tiny little space cars and so you would have to be aware of whatever is happening above, below, to the left, right and underneath you and thats the answer to driving in Jordan.  OK so the guy in the right hand lane wants to go left but he does put a hand out and jiggle it and the donkeys and sheep on the trucks quite like the fresh air, along with a few kids (human type).

The traffic does move in the direction you want to go and you just have to poke your nose in and go with the flow.  I love driving in Jordan but the overriding factor for me is if you hit a pedestrian you could be bankrupt.  We are responsible for paying their hospital bills and in the event of a crisis, supporting their family for the rest of ours and their lives so I would say that driving in Jordan is probably safer than driving in the UK because the clowns here just don't give a damn because they have insurance that says they don't need to.