Solo Lady Traveler

I'm so excited to see and visit Bangkok this December, but I'm having mixed feelings now upon reading about the scams and bad experiences in there while on their vacation. I'll be traveling alone and that worries me. Any advise?   :(

Some negative things must come up for some travelers but in general Bangkok and the rest of Thailand are very safe.  The scams seem a bit limited; maybe a tuk-tuk driver would take you to see a jewelry store you really don't want to see, or a taxi driver might not run the meter when they always should. 

I'd just be careful of meeting random people online because they could sound really nice but that seems a better way to get scammed than anything that would come up in traveling.

As for ideas of what to see and do I've only recently looked at some local Expat.coms, the kind of thing this site is set up to promote (the "blogs" page at the top), and they might have suggestions.  You'd have to like the reading since it would take some paging through them to get to the content.  I write a blog about tea but that wouldn't be helpful, unless you happen to be obsessed with tea; you'd be looking for local lifestyle / travel theme blogs. 

You might consider a trip out of Bangkok if time allows since it is nice here but you miss a lot of what's in Thailand staying in this city, maybe off to an island somewhere would be nice.

Why do you travel alone (solo) ?

Without knowing that, how to advise you ?

Don´t worried about it, You reading the bad stories, but the million and million good stories from people, don´t get post online.

About Scam !!!
I do think that any people that know 1 + 1 = 2, be fine here, the scam are so easy to spot, and i do think one have to be not that smart to get scam here.

If someone come and tell you the place you going to is close, but he/she can take you to other place, and you do that, before going and check if that place is closed, Then yes, you Might get scam.

If a Tuk Tuk driver offer to drive you for free, BUT you have to stop at a few shop to look, and you do that, Then yes, Maybe you get scam.

If you think you can buy a Rolex Watch for 2$ on the street and you think it is real, then yes again you get scam.

And so on.

I be living here for 4.5 years, and never got scam, sure some have try, but as i say, they so easy to spot.
Sure i have probably pay 5-10 baht more for some item over the years, Then a Thai person, but i am fine with that.

Stop worrying and come have a good time here, it is a great country, have many great and nice Thai people here.

You can all ways search for a traveling companion, Maybe a female if that make you fell safer.

And as one write all ready, if you have the time, go see the country side of Thailand, The small city.

Hope you have a super great trip here.

Kindly

remedy to Thailand scams in two easy steps:

1.  don't trust or speak to tuk tuk drivers.

2. if a Thai approaches you with a smile and speaks fluent English; run for your life.

problem solved.

if you were a guy i'd add not to trust or get too intimate with bar girls.

enjoy.

and don't take girls/guys you just met back to your room/apartment, because while you are asleep they will take everything of value.

Arrange yourself a fulltime boytoy, so you have a local on your side assisting you with everything and also carrying your luggage. There are reliable agencies for that.

Gravitas wrote:

and don't take girls/guys you just met back to your room/apartment, because while you are asleep they will take everything of value.

True. You should avoid sleeping with strangers.
Just have sex then kick them out of bed.

I think this page has all information you need bangkok.com/information/  :)

Hi, If you're coming alone to visit this Dec. Welcome and enjoy your trip. Regardless where you're visiting, trust no one and avoid walking in dark areas at all cost. Don't be flashy with your cash. You'll be fine.

hi
welcome to bangkok. Don't be scare.
you just don't trust people easily and don't walk alone in the dark area.
Which area that you will stay?

Hey there,

I'm also a solo female traveler in Thailand and have been just fine. It's pretty obvious if someone is trying to scam you, so just be aware.  The fact that you read other accounts of fraud will now have you prepared in case someone tries to do the same to you...

I'd say the biggest one is tuktuk or taxis. ALWAYS find out how much before getting in and agree to a price. If you get to the end of your trip and then try to haggle you can't just walk away if you don't like the price...and always haggle.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct