Indian moving to frankfurt

Hi I am moving to Frankfurt in September for a couple of years with my wife and 2 year old daughter. My workplace would be near Friedrich Ebert Anlage, Frankfurt am main. Need advise in terms which area should I look for a house where I can get Indian neighbourhood with families and what would be approx rent cost for a 1 bedroom flat / apartment. Should I be taking an unfurnished flat and buying furniture from there or would a furnished accomodation be advisable. My budget is 1000 euro to 1200 euros per month. What would be utility and heating charges per month?

Also some advise on good kindergardens and approx costs will help. 

I am a pure vegetarian. How easy or difficult would it be to find groceries or veg food

Which clubs can join to know more expats which would include Indians as well.

- There are no "Indian neighbourhoods" in Frankfurt or elsewhere in Germany. The number of Indians is too small for this. You could possibly have one more Indian family in the neighbourhood, but I would not base the decision for/against a flat on this.
- In German, living rooms are counted as rooms (but not kitchens and bathrooms). Thus I assume what you call "1 bedroom flat" is a 2 room flat, not a 1 room studio (which would be too small for a family). Your rental budget of €1000-1200/month is plenty for this, you could also look for a 3 room unit for more space.
- Furnished places in Germany are rare and very expensive. If you stay over a year, you should buy your own stuff.
- Utility and heating charges depend on the unit and your usage, but should be in the range €100-250/month.
- Kindergarten spaces are rare and there are long waitlists. Furthermore, they are all in German language. Publicly subsidised ones (which is most of them) cost €200-400/month.
- It is easy to find European vegetarian food and ingredients, but not Indian (for which you need specialty stores and pay higher prices). Please note that Vegetarian in Europe includes eggs and cheese (and sometimes even seafood) - if you want to avoid these, look for Vegan food, which is harder to find.

Thanks Beppi. so what would be good areas for an expat / english speaking neighbourhood.  Based on my research i have found nordend, westend are good areas to stay and will be closer to my workplace as well. Kindergarden would be a big worry for me if I dont find it easily.

There are also no "english speaking neighbourhoods" in Germany, as most foreigners are from Southern/Eastern Europe. Most Germans can muster some English, so you'll be o.k. for survival, but you must learn German to have a better social life.
As I said, kindergartens spaces are rare and long waiting lists of several months to several years exist, so register your child as soon as you know where you'll live. There are some international or private child care options that may be available at shorter notice (and much higher cost).

Hi,
i recently had a Lot of Indian clients, and
most of them stay in Europaallee.
A good link for newcomers is
newcomers.com
and there will also be a newcomers festival on 13th September where many schools, companies are going to take a part. I will also be there.
Have a nice day

Thanks for this information

Thanks for this. Didnt get the link but will try to be there on 13th september. Would be great if you could connect me to some indians there.

newcomers-festival.de or .com

Hi Rahul,

It would be best if you take accommodation on the outskirts, it will be economical. since your office is approx 750 kms from main station you will be able to commute to work easily.

there are many Indians in Frankfurt, scattered and there are a few Indian associations that you can join. Are you a Gujarati or ?? Once you are in Germany I will put you in touch with Indians in Frankurt.

Kindagarten will depend on your residence so you need to fix that first. Its important that you and / or your wife join a German language course.

Being a veg is not an issue and also there are many Asian shops that sell everything including spices and food items. Plus there are many Indian restaurants plus a veg one Suvarna Bhavan near the main station.

Thanks. Your message is very helpful and comforting.  Which would be the good outskirts areas. I am a marwadi ( as good as gujarati). Will be of a great help if you can help me join Indian associations. Already joined a german langugae course.

Thanks a lot

I live near Hamburg so am not very familiar with Frankfurt. you can check with the company you are joining they would also be able to help in giving websites. this site i found on google : frankfurtrentals.de/

i will check with my friend in Frankfurt also and let you know.

I think others have answered well. There are of course English speaking foreigners and Indians in Frankfurt like in all big German cities but no neighborhoods where they predominate. One will have to look for these specific contacts. Food including a wide range of veggies and fruits are cheap and easy to find anywhere. There are also many ethnic shops selling foreign specialties. Some are Indian, Sri Lankan or Pakistani but Turkish and Chinese are more common - yet even a big Turkish shop is likely to carry a good selection of Indian foods. Like Beppi mentioned, furnished accommodation is rare and expensive. There are cheap places like Ikea for new furniture but also flea markets and second hand shops for used stuff. Also, most cities have a pickup service for larger things that don't fit in the normal garbage (Sperrmüll) and one can literally find lots of good furniture being set out on the street. For hygienic reasons I would not suggest getting a mattress this way for example but many Germans with lack of storage space or because of an upcoming move can't be bothered to sell their unwanted stuff even if in perfect condition. If one finds things in a second hand shop, the chances are good that the proprietors collected it from the streets themselves. Although it might be culturally strange for an Indian, even a well off German is likely to take a lamp or nightstand or something from the Sperrmüll if they happen on something they need. There are also websites where people offer or look for free stuff which is a good alternative to buying or throwing away things in a materialistic society.

Thanks beppi, ryan, jdave and tommin. All this information will be extremly helpful!

Hello Rahul,

hope all is going fine with your move to Frankfurt.

once you are in Frankurt let me know i will connect you with fellow Indians and Assn.

regards jd

Hi, I have reached Frankfurt. Could you please connect me to some Indians here in Frankfurt. Thanks

Hi welcome to Germany and best wishes for a happy stay.
you may contact Kalpit Jahla mobile nr  *****************
regards jd

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Number removed - please use your private message system to send phone number
Rahul H Mehta wrote:

Hi, I have reached Frankfurt. Could you please connect me to some Indians here in Frankfurt. Thanks

Welcome to Germany :) I hope you enjoy your stay in Germany. I would personally suggest you to visit "samtog" website in your free time. As you will find information on Indian Grocery stores, language school (if you would like to increase your german knowledge), Tax structure and other information, which will help your to settle down in Germany quickly :)

THanks. I will do that.