Safety in Ecuador

The other thing I think is possible is EC's less than harmonious relationship with the US so it is sort of diplomatic level of dissing the country.

US State Department has issued a world wide warning for all citizens to be very cautious and vigilant and avoid large crowds.  There are no specific threats and this warning is in effect until February.  It does not appear to have anything to do with El Nino.

This is a world wide warning. It has nothing to do with Ecuador.

Jim/Luz wrote:

This is a world wide warning. It has nothing to do with Ecuador.

Ecuador is in this world, so it includes Ecuador, just nothing specific.  Most USA citizens ignore these warnings anyway, as many live on Mindanao despite warnings for the last 20 years.

Mugtech is 100% correct,

Things in Ecuador will are changing and not for the better. One of note is the fact that now that Cuba has new relations with the U.S. a mass exodus of immigrants has been leaving Cuba. They are flocking to every country which allows them freedom of movement, Ecuador is one of those countries.

We recently had lunch at a local friends restaurant, they have and do employ several Cuban workers. She said that in the past two weeks she has had over a dozen Cubans, as well as other immigrants come in looking for work. She said her husband, the cook even hired a Cuban doctor to serve as a cook... She says this concerns her because, an influx of migrants looking for short term work, can result in more employee theft and the possibility of robbery She says many are looking for quick cash to continue their travels North.

We also have seen this over the past week, our rental apartment was available and we had eight Cubans call about renting it, in a single day. Many Expats may not be aware of this but, many Ecuadorans do not care much for Cubans.

Also, as Saudi has clearly stated it will not adjust oil prices to help Venezuela, which is driving people out of the country. Our friend the restaurant owner also stated that as things get worse in S.A. many people will flock to Ecuador simply because of the dollar. She also pointed out that the U.S. is foolish, and should change the policy of giving citizenship to any Cuban who touches American soil.

It is no longer a matter of will something happen, it is happening. 2016 will be a turbulent year for many S.A. countries, it would be remiss to have an "It won't happen here" attitude. 

For those who actually live in Ecuador, it simply means renewed vigilance and to continue doing the things you are doing. As always, information is key, and being in tune with your surroundings.

GMC(SW) wrote:

at a local friends restaurant, they have and do employ several Cuban workers.  (The co-owner) said that in the past two weeks she has had over a dozen Cubans, as well as other immigrants come in looking for work... She says this concerns her because an influx of migrants looking for short term work, can result in more employee theft and the possibility of robbery.  She says many are looking for quick cash to continue their travels North.

We also have seen this over the past week, our rental apartment was available and we had eight Cubans call about renting it, in a single day....

She also pointed out that the U.S. is foolish, and should change the policy of giving citizenship to any Cuban who touches American soil.

Common sense tells one that the U.S.-Cuba normalization will attract even more Cubans to U.S. soil.

As of 2013, there were over 1.1 million Cubans living in the United States, most of them in Miami's Little Havana and several counties in south Florida.  Florida is 90 miles from Cuba.

Since the early Castro Days, most Cubans have been able to enter the U.S. on special humanitarian passes, outside the normal immigration limitations that apply to folks wanting to enter the U.S. from other countries.

Data source:  www.migrationpolicy.org

cccmedia in Quito

GMC(SW) wrote:

We also have seen this over the past week, our rental apartment was available and we had eight Cubans call about renting it, in a single day. Many Expats may not be aware of this but, many Ecuadorans do not care much for Cubans.

There is a closed thread called Cubans Need Not Apply which gives more incite into the Ecuadorian attitude towards the island fugitives.  Cannot imagine the xenophobia will be decreasing.

GMC(SW) wrote:

Saudi has clearly stated it will not adjust oil prices to help Venezuela, which is driving people out of the country (Ven). Our friend the restaurant owner also stated that as things get worse in S.A. many people will flock to Ecuador simply because of the dollar.

Well, that makes sense... given that the inflation rate in Venezuela is over 800 percent.

Source:  Cato Institute at Johns Hopkins, reported in October (2015) at forbes.com

cccmedia in Quito

As far as I know the post was taken down.  It became a little too nasty.

MGLuke wrote:

As far as I know the post was taken down.  It became a little too nasty.

Was not taken down, just closed.  One can read all the off topic at one's leisure
CUBANS NEED NOT APPLY.

Sorry don't know the blogging lingo.  Learning as I go.  Thanks for the clarification.  Now I can go back and re read all the positive comments made  ;)

Thanks for the information. I may check it out, I can assume what it may contain.

I always thought things a little on the nasty side could be interesting, or at least entertaining. Depending on the audience, of course. Never been thin skinned myself, a good rap from time to time keeps me sharp..

GMC(SW) wrote:

Thanks for the information. I may check it out, I can assume what it may contain.

I always thought things a little on the nasty side could be interesting, or at least entertaining. Depending on the audience, of course. Never been thin skinned myself, a good rap from time to time keeps me sharp..

It was a thread from 2012 which someone brought back to life and then made it about the USA, which is why it was closed.  There is also a tale on the cultural shock thread about a dark Ecuadorian who was shunned by other native not so dark Ecuadorians.

I was replying to the comment that this warning was " dissing Ecuador". The warning was not directed to dis Ecuador. It was as stated a "world wide warning".