From Working Years to Retirement Years

It's hard to believe that my husband and I have been in Cuenca for five years now.  We've been married for 26 years (married in 1989).  We were both still working and when we thought ahead of our retirement dreams, they did not include living as expats abroad.  Mind you, we loved the idea of traveling abroad but the problem is that when you stop working, you have time but no money (when you're working you have money but no time!)

So when our retirement became a reality (not just a dream), we knew we needed to make some changes -- we downsized from a home into a condo -- which worked for about three years.  When the market crashed in 2008, we knew we needed to make some more changes -- changes that we hadn't anticipated -- literally living abroad.

So that bring us to Cuenca.  We arrived in August of 2010.  For information about our expat experience in Cuenca, see our blog at

grimmsecuadortraveltales.blogspot.com.br/.

Hasta Luego!

CuencaSun wrote:

we downsized from a home into a condo -- which worked for about three years.  When the market crashed in 2008, we knew we needed to make some more changes -- changes that we hadn't anticipated -- literally living abroad.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Mike and Patty.

If the article currently on your website's welcome page is at all representative, your website is a winner....Cuenca -- It's Like the Good Old Days of the 1950´s by Dano.

Since you folks are new to this forum, you didn't know to add www. to the front of your URL in order to make it a clickable link....

www.grimmsecuadortraveltales.blogspot.com.br/

Thank you for bringing us to this new (to many of us) source of information and insights about Ecuador.

cccmedia in Quito

Top reasons recent Expat arrivals left the United States or Canada, as listed by Dano in the Grimms' website featured article, Cuenca -- It's Like the Good Old Days....

6.  Can't afford to retire back home and live how we want to

5.  Frustrated with the government, politics, etc.

4.  Medical costs

3.  The downward spiral of society

2.  Tired of always being at war

And the #1 reason Expats left home for Ecuador....

1.  Not going to spend another #%!&# winter -- or summer -- back there!

Dano's bonus reason:  the Kardashians.

LOL.........about the Kardashians............need to add Trump as well......... :lol:

Dear Sir/MIss;
Hola;Como te estas ud?
Hi.How are you?
I am from Iran.I am 48 years old.I was graduated from university in course of electronic field.
I heard alot about ecuador that there is paradise.
Thats why i make decition to know more about Ecuador especially quito.
I would like to start my new life with new job there.
I appreciate you if you could advice me about there.
My Em:ttechno1(at Sign)yahoo(dot)com
PLease write me ASAP.
Best Regards
Naraghi

Hello Naraghi,

It is unlikely that you will be a able to find work in Ecuador.. All of the jobs are  given to qualified Ecuadorians rather than foreigners. Unless you have a work contract with promise of a job before you leave Iran, not only will you be competing with native Ecuadorians for work but also the thousands of Venezuelans looking to find work and immigrate to Ecuador. Unless you have a highly specialized or needed technical skill or are a health care professional most all other sectors of the economy are not looking for foreign workers

Ecuador is primarily a retirement destination for pensioners with a guaranteed income. If you need to support yourself by working Ecuador is not the right place for you.

Unless you are proficient in Spanish you will not be able to enter the Ecuadorian work force.

If you can get a tourist visa it would be advisable to go spend time in the country and see what your options are

Dear Sir/Miss;
Thank you for your advise.
As we know that I have to speak Spanish fluently after that I have to looking for jobs.
Actually It takes couple of months.
At this time I must support my self .
1 -I don't know could I find a economic place for living and normal life even attend in school Spanish.
I was wondering if you could answer there.

2- I would prefer start my job there after a while but I don't know which of these are best for there.
Actually I don't know which of them are necessity and make money.
A-Double glazed window
B-Decorative stone
C-electronic shop(repair Tv-mobile-laptop-etc)
D-Production Mushrooms
E-Production ISogum (thermal insulation:it use instead of Asphalt on roof and Toilet and etc)

could you please give me more information about there?
Maybe my answers would be hard for you and I don't have Expectation answer all of them but I appreciate you if you answer them Patiently.

These is best help from your side to me.
My eml is :ttechno1(at Sign)yahoo(dot)com
Best Regards
Naraghi

I am looking forward to hearing you asap.

I think your best bet would be to talk to the Ecuadorian consulate where you are now located (in South Africa?) and they may be able to resolve some of your questions.

It may be possible for you to get a professional 9-V visa, if your university is on this PDF list found at this link and conversation:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=454402

For that visa I would clarify the requirements with the consulate.  Your proposed business C might just possibly qualify as practicing your profession, stretching definitions a bit - it's always worth a try.

Just my opinion, besides C the only other businesses that might work might be D and E but if you don't speak fluent Spanish and have permission to work they are not options.  A and B I would not consider.  A, because the climate does not require much if any double-pane glass or insulation unless you are in an exceptionally hot area and using air-conditioning (perhaps some coastal areas but the market would be small).  B, because that's a labor-intensive area and labor in Ecuador, especially mostly unskilled labor, is cheap and pays next to nothing, and there's already plenty of competition from native businesses.  You don't specify exactly what your role would be with decorative stone so it's hard to give you a good answer.

I have to agree with previous posters, especially this statement:
"Ecuador is primarily a retirement destination for pensioners with a guaranteed income. If you need to support yourself by working Ecuador is not the right place for you."

But if you have a dream, a vision, and are willing to pursue it you may be able to make it work although the path will be difficult.  There are foreigners in Ecuador who have businesses and are making them work.  But even with fluent Spanish and plenty of money to start a business, it may prove to be a difficult challenge, and failure is always possible.

Atra,

I appreciate your PM to me asking detailed questions about possible business areas in Ecuador and what may or may not work there, and about your academic qualifications.

Even if I lived in Ecuador (which I do not) I could not predict what will work in one area and not in another, nor am I qualified to predict any business success - not for myself, and certainly not for others.

I would suggest you ask your questions (if any different from what you have already asked) in the open forum, in the hopes that someone who has experience in the areas you mention would reply.  I have already exhausted my "expertise" in the answers I have given!

If your academic degree is from a university on the list then you are a possible candidate for the 9-V visa.

I appreciate your efforts to get detailed information over the internet and from this blog - but I would urge a preliminary trip to Ecuador on a tourist visa - there's no substitute for "boots on the ground", especially if you are not getting answers from your home embassy.