Help! Planning on moving to Canada

Hello, I need your help!
In the summer of 2016 I want to move to Canada, get a job and live there permanently. I want to move to the Greater Toronto Area, because my girlfriend lives in St. Catharines.
I would appreciate any help you can give me, especially with the first steps, as I have no idea what I'm up against :)
First thing is probably getting a work visa?
Anybody who has gone through this process and wants to share, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Moritz Kahlke,

Welcome on board :)

We will invite you to please check out those articles :

- Immigrate to Canada
- Working in Canada
- Accommodation in Canada
- Find a job in Toronto
- Working Holiday Visa

If you are looking for information on living in Canada we will invite you to download the Canada expat guide to find all you need to know to settle and live in Canada :)

Thank you

Maximilien

Hi Moritz,

Getting a work permit first of all requires that you have a job offer on hand. Yes it does seem like an uphill battle. I've experience it before but what I've gone through which was a couple of years ago may not exactly be the same. Previously there's a process called LMO (Labour Market Opinion). I engaged the service of an immigration consultant to help me navigate through the red-tape that we have to put up with CIC. The amount borne for that service is 500 and is normally covered by one's would be employer. It is minimal and about 500 - sometimes an employer makes you pay half of it so as to have you equally committed in the process. Duration can be as long as 6 months to get things going. However that's all change now. Its now called LMIA (Labour market impact assessment) - basically they want to see how you and your job sits with the place you are going to work in. Assuming if there's an excess amount of locals who are in that field living in that area who are out of job, then the likelihood of you getting your work permit approve is very low. I am not sure how long this takes. I also heard that with the new process there's actually a fee charge by CIC to the employer which is about 1000. This also puts off a lot of would be employers. Again, its advisable to engage the services of an immigration consultant/lawyer. Typically you should be the one to find a consultant/lawyer rather than your would be employer. But also make sure by asking them if there can come to the middle with the fees.

Hey Maximilien, thanks! I will have a look at the links you gave me :)

Hey Philip, thank you for your answer :)

The problem is, I don't have a job offer yet. I have tried to find a job from Germany, but it seemed nobody was interested, since I didn't yet live in Canada. I don't think I can find a job without being a resident first. That's why my plan was to go to Canada next Summer and then start looking for a job. Is that possible?

I have heard of talking to an immigration lawyer is a good idea. Do you think I should approach one already? Can they help me while I'm still in Germany and one year from moving to Canada?

Hi Moritz,

Approaching a "valid" immigration consultant / lawyer would be advisable. Note: Be aware there are some consultants/lawyers (typically the lawyers does this more) that charge a fee for mere enquiry. E.g. 200 for a hours phone call. Honestly, I feel you shouldn't need to go there just because you only want to know what your options are and how to go about with the process. The only time you should pay a fee is when you sign a retainer agreement with them so that they will be your representative in filling up the forms.

A valid consultant/lawyer should be registered with the Canadian immigration council http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio … fy-rep.asp

Location shouldn't be a problem for the lawyers/consultants. Consultants are usually more down to earth and level headed than the lawyers FYI. But do ask them upfront on how they will communicate with you. There are some savvy ones which will be able to even do Skype calls with you. But typically old school ones will use email and phone only. I engaged mine via the phone and email all the time. She was based in Toronto while I was here in Halifax.
I do know of another who does Skype if you need to.

Of course, this is beside the issue of you needing to find a job offer first. And yes, having your boots on the ground does help you land job better than you not being here in person.

Where are you from?

Well. The truth might be hard. If you come with a tourist visa no one will give you any work. If you don't have a job offer you won't get a work permit. That also depends on your skill set. Some programs like federal skilled workers are worth taking a look at. Personally you can find all you need online. Some of those consultants or layers just take your cash for nothing. Look into sponships as well. Good luck

Gordon, I'm from Germany.

Antonio, thanks for the info. Yeah, it looks like it's going to be tough.
I did the test online to see if I was eligible, but question 3 or so is already a question about some language test that I don't have and haven't looked up where to do yet, so I don't know if I'm eligible yet.