Music in Dominican Republic

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Dominican Republic? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

The culture here is all about music and dancing.  Babies are born dancing.....seriously I am pretty sure they are.....

The "national" dance is merengue, born in the DR.   Second would be bachata.    Dominicans also listen to and love salsa,  balladas,  bolero and the truly awful (to me)  reggaeton etc.   But go to most any dance club and it is  merengue bachata and salsa with a little bit of reggaeton thrown in. 

The order and proportions will change depending where you are. For example the north coast and Cibao valley love their merengue tipico.  Go to  Santo Domingo and it is much more Salsa and Merengue classico.......  Other places - La Romana for example way more bachata is played.

Dancing is a national sport.  You will find people dancing everywhere, anywhere and anytime.... it breaks out in Supermarkets,  in front of colmados (corner stores)  on the street and in peoples houses......   any Sunday  drive the "Malecon" and you will see cars with big speakers blasting, chairs,  coolers (got to have the presidente and rum)  and of course people dancing......

Yes  merengue and bachata  bachata can be head every where and everyone dances all of the time (except me...I have 4 left feet)

All recorders, stereos, car radios, and such only have two settings .. very Loud and extremely LOUD. I am amazed that all 40 year old Dominicans are not deaf.  Actually they may be deaf which explains why in normal conversation NO ONE speaks in a normal tone of voice but instead they seem to be screaming at each other :D:D:D

Bob K

Hello Kenjee!

The music of the Dominican Republic is primarily influenced by West African traditions, and native Taino. The most popular genres in the Island, and internationally known are Merengue and Bachata.

Merengue is a musical genre born in the Dominican Republic. There is also a sub-genre called Merengue típico (I particularly like this one a lot) which is mostly played in the country side with rudimentary instruments. The modern Merengue we are used to listen, has incorporated some electric instruments and it has some influences from Salsa.

Other native music genres are Música Congos del Espíritu Santo which is mostly influenced by the African descendants, as well as "Palo" rhythm (this one is quite amazing and also one of my favorites) drum and human voice are the principal instrument. Its roots are in the Congo region of central-west Africa. Kinito Mendez is one of its top representatives.

Juan Luis Guerra, and also Johnny Ventura are known as the best Merengue masculine singers in the Island. The feminine starts are Milly Quezada and also Miriam Cruz. Victor Victor is best know for the king of Bachata.