Renting a car while waiting to buy

I am arriving in Malta in a week and had planned on buying a car as soon as I arrived but I have just learned that the regulations have recently changed and that to register a car I would need to have at least applied for an e-card.

So I guess I need to rent a car for a month or so before I can get that process underway.

Does anyone have a recommended car rental company, I want something really cheap, not like I am going to be doing much mileage!

I could book online cheapest seems to be about EUR40 a day but I have noticed that they all have a prepaid fuel policy (you pay in advance for a full tank at 3x it's real cost and no refund on return) which substantially pushes up the 'real' cost of rental and I wonder if I book in Malta after I get there I can get the usual 'full-to-full' deal.

TIA
Rob

look for a car leasing company rather than car hire you may get better prices

As I might be in a similar situation about a year from now: Rob, do you know if you can lease a car right away, i.e. before you have all the paperwork regarding e-card etc. in order? I'm asking because I was planning to rent a car for the first month or so, too (despite all the rental companies' rip-off scheme with pre-paid fuel), as I will most likely stay in a temporary apartment before finding a place to stay, work, etc. I guess that's also the reason why the question was originally posted?

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

I will most likely stay in a temporary apartment before finding a place to stay, work, etc. I guess that's also the reason why the question was originally posted?

No my situation is different, not looking for work and already have a place signed up for the next 12 months.

Sorry Rob, I was referring to whether the requirements for leasing a car are the same as for registering a car - I wasn't referring to your situation. I edited my question before posting it and now realise it turned out a bit confusing. Probably time to go to bed after all...
So to clarify, my question should read: do you know if you can lease a car right away, or do similar requirements apply for registering a car of your own and for leasing a car? (In my home country, the latter would be the case.)

ah ic ...

After looking at leasing a bit more I was thinking the same thing as you..

Rob

I don't know in all honesty you would need ton talk to the car lease company but they advertise to tourists etc so one would assume you can do it straight away
- activegroup.com.mt/EN/content/160/Malta_Car_Leasing

Thanks, Rob (robpw2 - just realised, both of you are Rob...). Will definitely check out the link in more detail when I'm less tired :)