American cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in the USA?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of the USA and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Not living in the US now for 9+ years I think my favorite food or actually the food I miss the most is a 20+oz. bone in, grilled to medium rare (leaning on the rare side), well marbled, rib eye steak (cowboy ribeye for us in Denver) with grilled asparagus and a baked sweet potato.

Bob K

American cuisine is just about anything but the one American specialty that stands out is the "All you can eat salad bar" at many restaurants.  Salad Bars are meals in themselves or are added to a bigger meal.  Even pizza restaurants offer salad bars.  I just returned from Panama and there are very few salad bars there.  The ones I saw were one trip only and very limited in choices.  I think the "All you can eat salad bar" is a true American Cuisine.  The US has the best food quality in the world and FL always has delicious tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce.  After eating horrible bitter onions in Panama, the Georgia Vidalia onions have been great.  (and no, I do not care if they are GM products).  YUM!

Since I am a vegetarian, all my recipes are made with soy meat substitute, so I just use a few Morningstar Farms soy patties to make taco meat, barbeque, burgers, and anything else that calls for meat.  I am grateful for the US food industry for the innovations in food products.  It is easy to be a vegetarian in the US, not so easy in other countries.

The poster above seems to get their vegetables from a small farm according to what they say, but on the end of the post they added " I am grateful for the US food industry for the innovations in food products.  It is easy to be a vegetarian in the US, not so easy in other countries."

What you did not add, or realise is that America has so much produce because most of it is GENETICALLY MODIFIED!!

No European country, or Canada, or Japan, or Australia & New Zealand allow this method of growing plants unnaturally because there is a VERY BIG question mark over if this method has a detrimental effect on the person who eats it!!!

What do l enjoy in America?
A good Mexican or Indian dish.

Frankly, britmick, I don't give a damn about your agenda against US foods!!!

BTW, I buy my veggies at the local grocery store or Walmart, not at a farmers market.

britmick*****************IF YOU QUOTE SOMONE, GET YOR FACTS STRAIGHT AND QUOTE THE ENTIRE POST***********

britmick wrote:

The poster above seems to get their vegetables from a small farm according to what they say, but on the end of the post they added " I am grateful for the US food industry for the innovations in food products.  It is easy to be a vegetarian in the US, not so easy in other countries." ******* WHERE DID I SAY I GET MY VEGETABLES FROM A SMALL FARM?  YOU LEFT OT THE REST OF MY POST: (and, no, I do not care if they are GM products) YUM!  ***********IT IS FUNNY THAT YOU LEFT THIS OUT WHEN QUOTING ME.

What you did not add, or realise is that America has so much produce because most of it is GENETICALLY MODIFIED!!  **********I FELT NO NEED TO ADD THAT AMERICA HAS SO MUCH PRODUCE BECAUSE IT IS GENETICALLY MODIFIED.  I DO NOT CARE.  I KNOW IT IS MODIFIED AND I SUPPORT IT.  GM FOODS ARE HELPING TO FEED THE WORLD.  YOUR ASSUMTIONS ARE UNCALLED FOR HERE.

No European country, or Canada, or Japan, or Australia & New Zealand allow this method of growing plants unnaturally because there is a VERY BIG question mark over if this method has a detrimental effect on the person who eats it!!!  ****************YOUR OPINION.  MOVE TO ONE OF THOSE COUNTRIES.

What do l enjoy in America?
A good Mexican or Indian dish.

I also enjoy good Mexican and Indian dishes, especially when then they are made with American genetically modified foods.

Let us play nice kids

YES the US does genetically engineer lots of produce as well as meats and poultry.

I am not sure it is all for the good.

Bob K

Priscilla wrote:

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in the USA?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of the USA and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Please start a new thread to discuss genetically engineered foods.  This one is about American Cuisine.

The USA is fortunate to have access to cuisines from around the world. Every town has at least on Chinese and Italian restaurants More and more places have Mexican restaurants as well. This is especially true in the west of the US.. These cuisines have been in the US for a long time and usually offer an American version of these cuisines that have been adapted to US tastes. Favorite international cuisines in the US also include: Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese (including sushi), Greek and French. Other lesser known cuisines may also be found. These include; Ethiopian, Brazilian, Iranian, Israeli and may more.

I live in the Pacific Northwest; in the Seattle area, Eastern Washington and now in the Willamette valley of Oregon. The most popular of local eateries is the Brewpub. Beer is a passion. Portland Oregon was one of the birthplaces of the independent brewing of beer called the microbrew movement. The Brewpub is often a casual dining experience that will feature burgers, grilled cheese other sandwiches, french fries, salads and the like. The brewpub will feature an array of beers on tap and many also brew their own small batch beers. Another type of brewpub features more creative cuisine and often identified as a gastropub. At gastropub you may find Jerusalem artichoke soup with black truffle oil, sea bean salad with salmon caviar or a gourmet American Kobe burger with grilled chanterelles and micro greens. OK, I made up most of the gastropub menu, but it goes something like that. Pairing beer and food is a fun and satisfying exercise with little of the snobbery of wine and food pairings.

Pacific northwest cuisine is often draws on cuisine from around the pacific rim and other international cuisines. It focuses on fantastic local food products like fresh seafood in season, abundant seasonal agricultural products, locally grown beef and lamb. Wines from the region are often featured in this cuisine.

Hello everyone,

Some off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

This topic is about what you like to eat in the USA, what are the local specialties/dishes ?

Can we please stick to the topic and share your views on that  ;)

Thank you in advance for your contribution, :)
Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

Some off topic posts have been removed from this thread.

This topic is about what you like to eat in the USA, what are the local specialties/dishes ?

Can we please stick to the topic and share your views on that  ;)

Thank you in advance for your contribution, :)
Bhavna

Good job :D

Bob K wrote:

Not living in the US now for 9+ years I think my favorite food or actually the food I miss the most is a 20+oz. bone in, grilled to medium rare (leaning on the rare side), well marbled, rib eye steak (cowboy ribeye for us in Denver) with grilled asparagus and a baked sweet potato.

Bob K

How do I spell drool....make mine medium well, thank you very much :)

I'm very picky about American food. I love, loved to eat Jersey tomatoes. I think they are the best. Sweet potatoes from California are the best. I really don't care for their beef, too much coloring added to make it look blood red and that's not good for your system. I like Italian and Caribbean cuisines. I also like a bit of spicy food.

Val

Hello, I am a mother and my family is the most important thing in my life and of course I try to find many different and interesting recipes, which my family likes. Furthermore, every season I make different meals from some seasonal products. And I want to say that you can find photos of my dishes on fixthephoto.com . So, I hope you will enjoy, xoxo

Hello

My name is Gomes, I'm from Africa / Angola, I'm a soccer player and student, I'm from a very poor family. I have a great dream of being a great football player and studying to help my family get out of poverty.

I need you to help me live in the United States, to play football or to work and to help my family.

I do not have family in the USA, I need someone who lives there to help me with the expenses.

if you help me I promise that I will work to help my family.

whether it's working or playing football, which is the thing I know how to do very well.

These are the contacts of my brothers: +244 922326745 / +244 993390416

In US you find world cuisine, every city/town has mexican, chinese, india and italian restaurants.