Visas and taxes

Please forgive me but i cant find the answer I need. I  dont want to discuss the merits of being illegal vs legal. Ive already read thru that can of worms in previous posts :joking:
We are moving to the DR. And dont know if we ahould get a Permanant visa or a work visa. We will be paid from the US to our US bank account as we work in the country for an American company.. We want to be legal but like any good Ethnocentric American I want to pay the cheapest tax rate possible.  What would you recommend and what is the tax rate we can expect?

You don't want a work visa, that needs a sponsoring employer here.  Get a regular residencia showing income to qualify.

Tax rate is no different at all.

Any idea what tax rate would be if paid from an american company currently based in the US. Originally thought would be nothing since we will have been there less than 3 years

Nothing to do with years.  Dominican law is territorial, if your feet are here it applies.  Now, I dont know anyone who reports foreign income. Just saying.  Tax rate is scaled marginal rate is 24%

That is correct min rate is 24% and can be higher if income is higher. Also it is charged monthly not on  a yearly basis.

You will get a break on your US taxes though.

Bob K

I just read that after 3 years of residency worldwide income (financial investments) is taxed. Also, there is no double taxation agreement with the USA meaning you will have to use these two tools: foreign tax credit and foreign earned income exclusion on your usa tax returns if applicable.

I don't know where the 3 year deal comes from but:
Here every $$ you earn is taxable
No matter where you earn any $$ it is taxable (reportable) in the US.  Yes there is an exemption for the first amount earned but you still need to file.

Bob K