Driving in Kazakhstan

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Kazakhstan? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Kazakhstan?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Kazakhstan: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Each individual drives differently, of course, but a general assessment on driving in Kazakhstan, particularly Aktobe, I would say that the differences are seen in three ways: how people respond to the traffic systems themselves, attention to the most common ticketed offenses, and a tendency for heard mentality.

The traffic systems here seem to be pretty much what you would expect- road signs with indications, lane markers (some of the time), and a general flow. Although, it is only common to find lane markers on roads that are heavily used (by visiting dignitaries) which cause confusion and allow drivers to make their own lanes depending on how they feel they can get to where they are going the fastest. I love how KZ decided to drive on the "right side of the road" instead of the British left system. Makes my life easier)

People in Aktobe are most concerned about avoiding tickets like in my country of America: driving with lights on, stopping before the line in an intersection, watching out for pedestrians, speeding, and several other smaller infractions. What some have trouble with is giving space for pedestrians. Yes, they might have stopped but they don't wait long enough for the pedestrian to obtain a safe distance from the car. If someone where to stumble or drop an item the driver wouldn't have enough time to respond. Some drivers drive too fast and this is seen everywhere but I have notice more aggressive driving here when a motorist wants to pass you and there is little room or the way isn't given. Generally, the speed limits here are too slow.

When I refer to heard mentality I am referring more to the way in which drivers will use any avenue to advance rather than waiting their turn or giving way. This is also the case when cues are formed, at a movie theatre for example. People bunch up and try to state their place in line when all there really needs to be is a physical line made. When I drive with my wife who is Kazakhstani, I notice that she hesitates when entering some traffic situations to ensure that the other drivers see her. It's a safe play but sometimes I feel that other drivers read hesitation or slowing down as an opportunity to cut out in front. This example is most easily witnessed entering a traffic circle. 

If I was traffic king for a day I would upgrade the traffic light systems and lane markers. In one intersection here in Aktobe there is a massive LED TV blasting advertisements but the traffic light is set off to the side- barely able to be seen with the competing ads. In the US, nearly all intersections have hanging lights above the lanes they direct. This ensures safety through clear information. The pedestrian crossings here are great but they are not all illuminated and should have more attention drawn to them at night.

Funny fact: nearly all black Lada's circa mid 1990s are driven by young men who think they are professional race car drivers.

When I was there, everything was familiar. And the flow of cars, and that the behavior of the passers-by. After moving to America, I realized that in every country, in every city even has its privileges, and its dangers. Just need to get used to this.