Living in Sohar

Hello
We are from Scotland and my husband has been offered a job in Sohar.  We lived in Abu Dhabi 20 years ago so we do have some knowledge about living in the Middle East.  We are interested in renting a property in the Palm Gardens Development and would like to find out more about living there or can anyone recommend a good place for a western expat to live?  We would like to find out more about life in Sohar?  We do not have young children so we are not looking for schools but we are interested in finding out what there is to do e.g. social and sporting facilities etc.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi
My husband and I live in Dawood complex which is just up the road from palm gardens. Although not as busy as Muscat, sohar is a nice place to live. When I was looking at palm gardens, I was informed that the rent was 850 riyals for FF.

Hi how much is the Dawood Complex for a ff?

For a 4 bedroom you are looking at 650 (unfurnished) and 3 bed furnished its about 550

Hi, thanks for the reply. How about a two?

They don't have 2 bedroom villas, you would then be in a flat and I have no idea how much they are sorry.

Well u can try Sohar Residence Complex which is same like palm gardens but about 15 km far from palm gardens towards sohar port.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi friends
Are luxury flats (2 BHK) available near Al Batinah International School/ Sohar Royal Hospital? How much do they cost?

Hi, I just received an salary offer to move to Sohar, It´s 1234.500 OR as basic salary plus 575.500 OR for fixed allowance per month.
I´ll be taking my family with me, so what I really need to know is if that ammount of money is good enough to live in Sohar, Oman with my familly.
Can anyone give me an idea on how much do I need to have a decent life in Sohar and be able to save money for the future? I'm needing real examples of the costs because I have friends that live in Muscat and comparing with that city they tell me that´s really low. I´m trying to set up a budget example on monthly expenses but it´s kind of difficult because most of the pages refer to Muscat.
I have two children and eventhough the company is giving a school benefit at the end I'll have to put down from my own salary around 300 OMR per child. We are not looking for a luxurious lifestyle, but at least We´d like have a confortable life and as mentioned before be able to save money. A family of 4 how much money needs to spend per month on grocery shopping? also most of the apartments or houses for rent come unfurnished, So We'd have to make a major expense just to furnished the place to live. I need to have the most real scenario in order to evaluate the real costs and if it's profitable to move so far.
Thank you very much to anyone who can help me out.

I've been living in Sohar for nearly 5mths.

Well, i may not list down all the expenses in detail as cost of living may very much varies from individual lifestyle. However, for a decent living, my monthly expenses including house & car rental, food, utilities and entertainment is around OMR900/mth.

hi
how are you
Sohar is normal place to live and work
if he have good offer he can join there
you can find all things
what you like to know more about
that city same as normal middle east city

Hi

I lived and worked  in Sohar 7 years ago and my father over 35 years in Oman for PDO I loved Oman it has its own beuaty, they are lots of things to do and places to explore, We often drove scross the border at weekends into the UAE the montain scenery is fantastic, gou will meet lots of expats from the UK and various other countries wbo wlll guide you, but be careful if you are like me you will fall in love with Oman ,I would trade my British passport for an Omani one tonorrow if I could that is how much I love Oman, so enjoy every minite .