Driving in Sweden

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Sweden? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Sweden?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Sweden: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Turning from roundabout from the internal lane ...  only weak point of Swedish drivers :-D

About driving in Sweden.

When it comes to driving, Sweden is actually one of the safest countries in the world with the fewest amount of fatal accidents relative to population.

Some basic regulations, may differ from other countries:
- You drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Law, even when sitting in the back seat requires wearing seat belts when travelling in a car.
- Headlights must be used 24 hours a day.
- You must be aged 18 or older and hold a valid driver's license.
- Speed limits range from 110 km/h (65mph) on main highways, 70 km/h (43mph) on smaller roads, and 50 km/h (31mph) in towns and cities.
- The legal alcohol limit in Sweden is stringent, and alcohol should be avoided completely when driving.

I'm lucky enough to be quite well travelled and, aside from oncoming traffic in the mountain roads on St.Lucia, I don't think I've found drivers more terrifying than here in Sweden. I assume years of driving Volvo tanks has made the populous unaware/uninterested in vehicles around them because they are completely and utterly unpredictable. Roundabouts feel like they were introduced a fortnight ago with no explanation to anyone and I'm beginning to thing indicators don't come as standard on Swedish vehicles.
I think road users attitude/ability here, in Stockholm området at least, is probably down to the native personality trait of "no one else matters but me and my bubble", that or the inability to look away from an iPhone for more than two minutes anyway.

Driving in Sweden, the real problem are the metallic poles installed to the axe of the road between two sense, on the road with one way if you have a tractor in the front of you wich is runing with 30 km/h until the road become in two way on the same sense you cannot pass him this is very bad, and in the case of an accident on the road with one way only you have to wait for hours until they come and remove some metallic poles in order to pass this accident area this is very stupid and very bad.