How do I access my dead husband's Moroccan bank account ?

My husband ( English, as I am ) died in April this year, leaving money in a foriegner's bank account, in Meknes. The account is in his name ONLY ;it was not a joint account . He did not leave a Will and I do not have Power of Attorney over hisfinancial affairs. I have no idea how I can access his account to withdraw money. Have you or anyone you know been in this situation ? How did you/they resolve the matter ? Can anyone help or advise me ?

I have already been in touch with the British Consul in Rabat, who cannot help me other than to email me a list of solicitors. I have contacted all the English-speaking solicitors in Tangier who are on the list . Only one of these solicitors has got back to me. I sent her a list of questions a month ago and I have, as yet, received no reply - despite having sent her reminders saying that I am still waiting to hear from her. I've even spoken to her on the phone to remind her !! I am truly frustrated and very anxious.

I am currently in Spain but will be coming over to Morocco ( Tangier and Meknes ) in October to try and sort out the matter. In the meantime,can anyone tell me what I need to do to access my dead husband's bank account ?

Malutka Whiski

Hi,
Usually the procedure is like this in Morocco:
You have to go  to the bank agency where the deceased opened the account. They have the opening contract and luckily if  he subscribed you as beneficiary in case of death
all you present is the death certificate and a proof of identity. If it's not you need also your marriage certificate if he didn't name another beneficiary.
My condolences, good luck

Thank you for your message. Sadly, and unfortunately, my husband didn't leave a Will ( BIG mistake ! ) and, therefore, did not name me or anyone else as beneficiary. So, yes I guess I'm going to need a lot of luck to sort this one out !

You are welcome. There is always a solution just don't give up!
In this case you need your marriage certificate and the death certificate.

Sorry for your husband I  thing all you need it is proof it your husband  marraigned certificate and and death certificate and birth certificate if you have any kids will help too . If I was you call or go near you moroccan Embassy  in your country they well give you more Information

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately,my husband and I did not have any children.

I have spoken to the Moroccan Embassy in London and they can offer no help.They say I must speak to a solicitor in Morocco but I am having no luck with that either. I feel as if there is some big secret that no-one wants to divulge to me.

Since your husband did not make a Will you will need to rely solely on the inheritance laws in Morocco. Some nations have a list of compulsory heirs, such as spouses and children, who cannot be left out of a Will and who have clear rights of inheritance even in the absence of a Will. So all is not lost.

It's unfortunate that you have not had any response from lawyers you've contacted to this point, but don't give up. You may find that a Death Certificate, your Marriage Certificate and your personal ID are all that may be necessary in order to have the bank release your late husbands funds.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

My condolences for your lost. I don't know if this is possible but can you not contact the bank and explain the situation and make an appointment?
What the previous poster wrote sounds fair to me too: you need to go in person to the bank and bring your id or passport, your marriage and death certificate and someone who you trust and can translate for you, if needed.

Every time you open a Bank account in Morocco you get asked in case of death who should be the beneficiary, most of the time people just put Next of Kin which I am sure he did. Just go to the Bank yourself and sort it out, no need for a Will, a lawyer and none of that stuff....You are the Next of Kin

First step to take is to come to morocco your self and represent your self to the bank, introduce your self and show the proof of who you are because dealing with matter over the phone u wont get much help. get an appointment face to face with manager of the bank and make sure u have someone to interpret for you during the meeting and ask all of your inquiries and take it from there. most manager are trained to know how to solve those matter and will advise u apropriately.
unfortunetly in morocco we are so behind in dealing with issue over the phone.
if you are not satisfied with his answer then take it to next level like notary or honest lawyer to advise u in this matter better.

Make sur you record anything you do while u r sorting out this matter.

i do hope you get this matter solved.

my condolences

Hello , I am a member here, on the ex pat site for morroco . My name is Sir paul Craven Robinson ...you may access my profile here and send me a link . I will look at your situation for you and see if i can help .

Regards Paul

did your husband left a check book?
then all you need fake his signature take the money and run
hhhhhhhhhhh

pacosan wrote:

hhhhhhhhhhh

If you have nothing sensible to say about the topic then please do not bother posting at all.
Thank you.

No, there is no cheque book or bankcard as my deceased husband's account is not the normal Foreigners' Dirham Convertible account. It is a special account that foreigners must have in order to receive money from the sale of a property in Morocco. It is only possible to withdraw 25% of the total every year and this must be done in person at the bank.

pacosan wrote:

hhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks for giving us an insight into the morocan way of thinking, but we already knew this. Taking things and then doing a runner is a national sport there.

Hello,

The foreigners are subject to the inheritance law of their country of origin, thus the bank, through its legal department need to be provided with the inheritance certificate that proves that you are the sole heir of your husband estate (notarized or drafted by a commissioner of oaths of your resort) and duly legalized by the competent moroccan authorities (consulate or embassy), besides the mentioned supporting documents  (death certificate, marriage certificate, passport copy), all this should be in certified/notarized copies or duplicata of the originals as simple copies are not accepted in administrative procedures, and should follow the same legalization process described above (if you are British then FCO+ Moroccan consulate/embassy) before being translated into french.

The process of treatment might be long as most of the banks have their legal department centralized in Casablanca. but you should have this with you in your next visit and follow up with the bank, either by phone, email, or establish a power of attorney for someone locally to follow up or/and complete the procedure on your name

Hope this helps

Regards

Hasnae