Housing in Puerto Rico

I was wondering how hard it is to find affordable housing in PR? I'm looking to move for a year. I have three cats and need a two to three bedroom place.
Is it easy to find a place where you can have pets? How much should I expect to pay? Damage deposit, etc.?
Thanks! Jeanne

Hi - I have a 3 bedroom in Rincon.  Really cute! No pets until after first year though.  It is $600/month + utilities.  That ends up being another $100 - $150.  We paid 1st, last, and deposit, so $1800 to move in.  There appear to be quite a few rentals between $500 - $1200 for long-term lease.  You can look on craigslist.  That is where I found mine, no problem.

good luck!

Hi! Price will vary depending on the area of the island you looking at. The metro area (San Juan) will be more pricy than the mountains or the western area. As etilley mentioned craiglist and clasificados on line will be a good starting place to look.

I haven't figured out quite where I want to settle down at. Maybe you have some suggestions? The most important thing to me is being close to the beach  and the best snorkeling. if it's all the same, somewhere in driving distance but not in the city. Thanks!

Is the no pets for a year rule common? Mine would be coming with me. I'd be okay with paying a pet deposit.
Thanks for replying!

funhogjeanne wrote:

I haven't figured out quite where I want to settle down at. Maybe you have some suggestions? The most important thing to me is being close to the beach  and the best snorkeling. if it's all the same, somewhere in driving distance but not in the city. Thanks!

I would recommend the Luquillo, Fajardo, Ceiba, Naguabo, Humacao area. All close to Culebras and Vieque Islands, you can also purchase or rent in the island.

BTW I will be in Ceiba, Sugarbird lives in Fajardo and Frogrock lives in Humacao, Gary in Juncos

It seems like it is not common.  It seems like most places ask for a pet deposit.  My landlord knows that I may leave after a year, so he doesn't want new tenants coming in and there being any sort of damage.  Definitely look at craigslist and, ugh, I can't remember the name of the big property dealer here.  I think it's better, honestly, to deal with locals though.  I just prefer that route. Maybe the name of the property dealer is Island rentals, something like that.  Also on fb, look at Jackie Paddock's group Rincon Concierge.  There's info on Rincon there.  Before coming here, I was told to not deal with locals as much.  i completely disagree.  The local people I've worked with have been very, very helpful.  Good luck!!  Also - I don't know if I said this.  I agree with Rey about those other locations too.  Steer clear of San Juan.  Ick.  Unless you like bigger cities ;)

funhogjeanne wrote:

What brings you to PR? If you just want a tranquil 'Caribbean' life, with snorkeling thrown in, you might want to consider the southwest - say Cabo Rojo or Boqueron - or the offshore islands of Vieques & Culebra. On the main island of Puerto Rico the surf is a lot calmer on the south (Caribbean) side of the island than it is on the north (Atlantic) side. If you want a more exciting, Latin American life, then you're better off in the metro area. Just my two cents.

I know Rincon is supposed to be good. I was thinking of Fajardo since what I like to do most of all is snorkel and it sounds like there are good spots there. Big cities - ick.

Thanks!

funhogjeanne wrote:

I know Rincon is supposed to be good. I was thinking of Fajardo since what I like to do most of all is snorkel and it sounds like there are good spots there. Big cities - ick.

Thanks!

SugarBird and I are in the area of Fajardo and Ceiba and we like to snorkel. I think she also mentioned another lady that likes to snorkel but I don't remember who or if in the area or not. There are a lot of locations of the Fajardo coast, Viequez, Culebras and a bunch of other spots I don't remember their name.

Try "caja de muerto"  of the coast of Ponce for snorkeling, one of the best destinations in the South coast. The have a ferry that sails off from Ponce:

"La Guancha Paseo Tablado, the boardwalk, is a fun stop where you can loiter with lively local Ponceños-the teen scene, elders and the toddler-mamma set. The pier here is the departure point for a regularly scheduled weekend ferry to Caja de Muertos (Coffin Island or Dead Box Island), a small island of pristine beaches, an old lighthouse (built in 1887) and a marked snorkel trail (under construction). Ferry services: Saturday, Sunday and holidays from 9am and return to 5pm."

Nice! That was one I hadn't heard of before.

For snorkeling the is also Gulligan's Island in Guanica behind the Copa Marina Resort. I think it is 12.50 to be taken out on a boat for the day and lunch can be delivered while you are there. They also have a shower to rinse off afterwards

That sounds fantastic!

I am looking for a furnished 2 bedroom rental starting oct 1 in the Dorado area. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

- clasificadosonline.com/VacRentals.asp

Use Google translator.....of a frien that knows Spanish... ;)