Driving in Australia

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Australia? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Australia?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Australia: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Different Nationalities will have different reactions and problems to the Driving in Australia.

My initial reaction coming, from the UK, was how bad they drove. They overtake on the inside, don't stop at pedestrian crossings, don't always indicate, drive in the overtaking line all the time, and many other things that we are not used to.

However, if a driver comes from some other countries, the Australian drivers appear almost perfect.

Generally good I would say.
Speeds are pretty low and can be frustrating to start. Speed fines are a killer! Couple of km's over the limit and nearly $200.

Beware the "P" platers. These are the worst and most reckless.

I'm 60, driven all round Oz and travelled the world. On average the Australian driver is pretty good but there is an underlying, hypocritical tendency for them to be on the aggressive and inconsiderate side. But, whatever percentage it may be, the BAD Australian driver IS without any shadow of a doubt, the WORST, most dangerous driver in the world. These are the ones you must beware of when YOU are on the road. This should have been dealt with by effective education programs many decades ago, but it is an obvious revenue raiser due to the amount of money raised by infringements and the number of people employed in an attempt to control the situation. Its a sad loss to the families who lose loved ones due to errors of judgement of a few. Take care, always.

Does it really matter if you follow the road rules while driving? Bad drivers all over the globe are always ready to give pain to other .

Coming from driving over 1000 miles a week in Europe , I find the Oz drivers  slow , but i can understand this when you see there speeding and other motoring  fines , Most of the Asian drivers are crap but that is the same in the uk, In the city i find them very patient and especially good at pedestrian crossings. They think they have heavy traffic ! they should try London !

Hi!  Yeah, it's PRETTY different especially depending on which state you are in.  I'm originally from NYC.  Here, people drive on the opposite side of the road, for one.  In Victoria the drivers are polite and really nice, always giving the right of way.  There are more "roundabouts" in place of traffic lights, I mean, thousands of them.  I know here in Melbourne, we also have "hook turns".  I don't totally understand them as I don't drive here and hope to never do so :)   More on hook turns here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn  I also find the traffic in Melbourne unbearable, I don't think people use all the available public transportation as much as they should.

I landed in Sydney from Germany. Was driven from there to Armidale NSW. 550 km. With virtually no cars on the road, it took 7 hours. Thats when I decided I will not be driving long distances. I will die of boredome or fall asleep behind the wheel.
Australian don't drive, they "hold" a steering wheel. You don't have to think, calculate or anticipate. 100 kph is so slow ! That's what I did in second gear back in Germany.  Everything is regulated so you don't have to think. The best is; Speed limit is 100 kph, a sign post reads the bend coming - up can be taken at 95 kph!
If you are caught exceeding the speed limit by driving 120 kph, you will be on national news broadcast for "speeding to such excessive limits.
Was pulled over by highway patrol on the New England Highway.  Got into a conversation with the cop about what is the greatest cause of accidents on this highway. Head on accidents and cars leaving the road, crashing or rolling.
Cause: Drivers falling a sleep, 1, Two: Mobile phones, Three: Driving under the influence. Four: Speeding.
This is when I told him that if I'm crawling at 100 kph, I will fall asleep. Out of boredom I'll start playing with my mobile.
Then all cops come with the excuse that Aussie roads are not of quality. Agree, on certain country roads the speed limid should be 100 kph, that what they would be in Europe as well. But to up the speed limid on a 6 lane freeway from 100 - 110 kph is a joke, why bother making the 110 signs, the increase is not worth the signage made.
They profess speed kills. That is true it kills everywhere. Their are more accidents here than in Germany. Why? Not the roads.  Young people would always try their luck at going faster and if the never drive any faster that 100 kph the do not know how to handle speed. This causes accidents with the youth.
Driving long distances I feel like a zombie holding a steering wheel with the speed control at 100kph sitting ever so patiently waiting for a overtaking lane because I have an Aussie in front of me doing 90kph.

Agreed! :) I think everything is slower here.  People talk more and slower and they walk slower too, but I'm from NYC and I only have one speed according to my husband.  But yeah, the low speed limit is needless in sooooooooo many cases.  Stay awake out there!