Music in Turkey

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Turkey? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

I have been told that the music that makes me throw my arms up and click my fingers is Ankara music.  I don't know what it is about it, but it is quite distinctive in its rhythm, quite masculine and very lively. It makes me want to dance. Just Google Ankara music, and see what comes up. I haven't quite taken to the the singing style in women's voices. Mostly, I don't find it melodic. Like cats crying!

Hello Trumunro, l need to correct you for the Ankara Music :) yes it sounds so Lively and many people cant hold theirself when hear it. But, it s not traditional Music for Turkey nor any country. İt has became popular since 2000. İf you understand their Lyrics, you would think that they created  by an idiots at toilet or somewhere people can deeply concantrated. Otherwise it s impossible to put that words at that order :) Songs are complately meaningless. Anyway, lots of people like them becaouse their rhythm l understood that :)

Turkish traditional Music are Turkish Art Music (Türk Sanat Musikisi) Turkish Folk Music and Türkü. Some popular instrument are bağlama, zurna, kemençe. However there are more than 100 Musical instruments are played (only) in Anatolia and Turkish Nations. Not easy to write here their name:)

Traditional musics are lost their popularity, so theré are not that much singer around unfortunately.

Yes, I understand that Ankara music can be nonsense, but without the words, the rhythm is good.
  I have been to a Turkish classical music concert, where my fiancé's cousin plays drums. I did love the instruments and the male voices, but the ladies, although with beautiful voices, they warble too much.
  Can you tell me; The singing voices seem to  mimic one of the instruments. What instrument would that be?  It is quite a skill that seems to be essential in much Turkish music.

Hi

I guess it would be Ney. Ney artists called as Neyzen. Instrument was used at Mevlâna's Dergâh.  Details may explained at wiki.
https://tr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ney

Cheers

Aqu

Thankyou so much, Aqu. You're a font of knowledge!

trumunro wrote:

Thankyou so much, Aqu. You're a font of knowledge!

Not at all Trumunro :) By the way I m not that much wise men about Music :) Just share what I know.

Cheers.

Aqu

Traditional music aside, I was kind of blown away by the Heavy Metal scene in Istanbul. There is a good number of cover bands that do pretty good renditions of Western Metal classics ranging from Metallica & Guns N' Roses to more contemporary Rammstein and Audioslave.

Certain cover bands like Killing, Razor and Boozer's Boogeymen tend to play real well and you can find them playing any given weekday or weekend either in Taksim or Kadikoy!

Bring it on!
Z

Also, one exceptional name that came to my mind when we talk about instruments is the the contemporary music instrument inventor Görkem Şen who is credited for inventing 'Yaybahar', a non electrical wind/string instrument that produces synthesized sounds. It's worth checking out. You can google up the name and search up his videos!

Enjoy
Z