Music in Costa Rica

Hi,

Music is said to be a universal language. Indeed it helps to discover and better understand the culture of a country.

What are the most popular music genres in Costa Rica? How about traditional music and instruments?

Who are the local artists you would recommend?

Where can you listen to them: are there any concerts or music festival held regularly?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Kenjee

I love many, many forms of music, but this is not the country for you if you really want to hear good music. Costa Rica does not have their own music. Costa Rica has adopted the Mexican style of music as their preferred music. Costa Rica does not have unique musical instrument they can call their own. They like to believe that the Marimba is unique to them, and it is not, even though they have several people actually making Marimba's in the country it was invented here. The music they play here on the Marimba is either Mexican, or from Columbia. The only place to hear an orchestra playing the classics is to go to San Jose, the capital. At one time there was a radio station I listened to playing a great variety of music. But then gain, the Ticos didn't listen to it so they closed the station to be replaced by another station playing more Mexican music. This is not a musical country. Its not part of the culture, unless you like Mexican ballads, or Mexican Polkas. Music is as good here as is the cuisine here! Good luck in your search!

This is a perspective of a younger generation, so it may differ from #2 because of my contact with different social groups.  I hear a lot of cumbia being played on the bus radios, and taxi drivers that I've ridden with will play classic rock or 80's pop rock.  Both hair dressers I've been to played 80's hits and love songs on their radios while working (the demographic being women in their 30's).  There are a lot of metalheads in the central valley and you'll find tons of rock bars in San Jose and in Heredia.  There is even a small goth scene in San Pedro.  I would say music is not only important, but vital to Costa Rica's younger generations. 

Traditional music is Cimarrona, of course!!  It is this hyperactive, fast paced trumpety music that is usually accompanied by dancing people wearing large handmade masks of demons, monsters, or famous people.  There are of course many traditional Costarican songs, my favorite being "Patriótica Costarricense" (a song praising the natural beauty of Costa Rica).