Driving in Nigeria

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Nigeria? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Nigeria?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Nigeria: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Abuja is not a bad place in terms of driving when u have seen some other places like Lagos. However when it rains I have the impression that women become more nervous that the usual

Hi in Lagos , it all depends if you re an expatriate or not ... If so you HAVE to hire a driver as Nigerian rule is the unfair one is the best one !!! They pass red lights , they try to pass you with rude manners and they have no really limit in speed , accidents too often
Also in case of an accident you can ask the driver to deal with them , they can argue rather fast then , Lagos is dangerous and a place to not drive alone

If you can drive in Athens then you should do well on Lagos roads ;)
However, on a safer note, I'd advice my expat friends to get an experienced local driver.
Peak hours from the Island to Mainland 4pm to 8pm and from the mainland to the island 5am to 11am (weekdays).
DUI offenses are still difficult to detect by the Road Safety officials.