Driving in Albania

Hi,

What do you think of the way people drive in Albania? How different is it from your home country?

Respecting the road safety rules, driving etiquette such as general courtesy, speed excess… what are the characteristics of the driving style in Albania?

Share with us the difficulties one may face when driving in Albania: peak hours, road conditions, accident, etc. and your advice to drive safely in the country.

Thank you in advance for participating,

Maximilien

Driving in Albania is, by far, the most stressful part of living here. While main roads are generally in an ok condition, many others are badly potholed. No one follows the roads rules. People double park everywhere. Pedestrians step out onto the road without checking for traffic. It's terrible! The only saving grace is that once you're outside of Tirana there really isn't that much traffic. Unless it's a Sunday in August and you're heading to the beach. In which case, good luck to you.

I've recently started driving in Albania, changing from right hand drive on the left of the road in an auto in Australia to left hand drive on the right of the road in a manual... As if they were not big enough changes to get use to!
The main things I notice about local driving is that indicating is options, staying in allocated lanes is also optional, round a bouts are free for all and good luck with them as no one gives way and it beacons a mixture between ease your way and push on through to get to the exit required..
The other post here is spot on about double parking and pot holes !!
People seem so surprised with mixed reactions when I have stopped to give way or let them cross the road/street..
But with all that said having your own transport is hands down better than catching the buses which are like people sardine cans on wheels...