Tattoos and Costa Rica

I searched the forums but didn't find any references. How are people with tattoos (not racist or vulgar) perceived in Costa Rica? My hubby and I both are military, upstanding members of society and we are both tattooed. Will this be an issue?

I would say tattoos are popular here. They even have tattoo conventions, which are really fun and interesting! They cost less here than other countries where I've gotten them but the health standards are high. I like Viuda Negra in San Jose and Tattoo Arte Corporal Infinito in San Pedro. I also have a guy in Grecia who's great!

It will not be an issue of any kind for you.

Awesome news. Thanks for the responses.  :D

Interesting information about the tattoo industry there.  We have been to many Tattoo conventions and always enjoy the artistry and people. Thanks

I think in general it won't be a problem. But I think most Latino countries - from my experience - and to some degree it's still true in some of the USA's more backward states - have people who look down on tattoos and think if you're tattooed, especially heavily tattooed that you are some kind of trouble maker or misfit.

I know this from people I know in Mexico and I see a similarity between Costa RIcan culture and Mexican culture.

That said, I don't think it will be a major problem; but you might get an occasional "dirty look" or "backing away" from some of the more conservative people in some of the more conservative traditional areas.
Just sayin'.

As an example of this kind of conservative thinking I've seen restaurants that post signs outside, in Puriscal, San Ramon and east of San Jose' (in some mountain town) that say something like (translated) "Do not make a scene by kissing or being romantic in our restaurant!" Always makes me laugh, and being the rebellious type I am always wanting to do it just to see what happens. But I wouldn't actually do it because I wouldn't really want to offend anyone or be an "ugly American".