Suggestions for good communities to live in

Guys,  your replies have really put my mind at ease. I land tomorrow evening. Can anyone suggest the best areas to live in SD? I heard Cazicazgos is good? Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all of you.

you aren't saying what for are you coming to D.R. and where exactly are you planing to work, or whatever the reason is. Therefore it's hard to suggest some places blindly, which can be at the other side of the city from your work.

Apologies. We're relocating permanently. I'll be teaching at one of the international schools. I have interviews, so not sure which one yet. I'll continue with my PhD then lecture at one of the universities. My wife is a certified trainer. So I want to see all the different areas but don't know where to start.

Gascue, Bella Vista, or Los Cacicazgos then are good places to consider.

Until you know where you will be working this is a tough one.  Living on the wrong side of the city can  give you a 1 hour commute morning and night!  Yikes. 

If you can stay in an apartahotel until you have secured work - it might we worth the extra cost!  You cannot imagine how bad the commute can be in Santo Domingo!

By the way some of those schools offer housing or will subsidize costs.

Can i ask u what u will be teaching? We r planning a move to the north coast, over the next year and our daughter/fam will be joining us. She is currently 2/3 way thru her PHD in Psychology.

Which part of SD is good to live in if you want to be near all the good restaurants, cafes and some shopping too?

Fantastic. Thanks Dr.tuttle!

Really. I'll hold up until after the interviews. Thanks a lot

Yes, the schools with whichI have an interview all offer accommodation. So I'm holding up renting until I receive an offer. Thanks!

Hi, I'll be teaching common core subjects; math, social science and English at one of the international schools or lecturing at one of the universities-.which ever pays best. I also work for the University of Richmond Virginia as Associate Professor Spanish teaching BA and MA courses online.

Good restaurants,  cafes and shopping..... well it depends a lot on what you like and what you want to pay.  In the Colonial Zone some great restaurants but expensive in tourist zone. Cafes too....  shopping not much all touristy.

Shopping is in the Piantini Naco area - some good restaurants there too but some are expensive.....

What do you call the area near Agora mall? When you leave Agora you go left along that big street, not galleria 360, the other street. Not back up the highway. When I drove this street there were all kinds of little restaurants and cafes and looks like some nice smaller residential buildings too. What's the name of this area?

Agora Mall is in el Pianti.

But north of there is  Arroyo Hondo Viejo.  Arroyo Hondo nuevo is more expensive. 

Piantini is very very expensive.

Ok. Thanks!

Guys, we have ended up in Gazques (not sure I've speĺled it correctly lol) but we like it. Now I need to find an apartment...

Gazcue is nice,  IF you work far from there you will find issues with your commute. 

Gazcue is an easy walk to so much -  the Colonial Zone,  restaurants,  cinema (on the Malecon) etc etc.  It is reasonably  safe but take precautions at night.

Keep us posted.

Hi,

After a really shaky start, I finally feel this is the right place to be.

We've narrowed it down to Gazque, La Espirilla and Piantini. The $500 dollar budget has been blown out of the window. However, I still have interviews with international schools that offer accommodation, so I'm holding up on making any decisions.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Good luck on the interviews.

Bob K

Amazing Joseanna! that's the right thing to do, to wait before making any decision on where to rent

I had a feeling about your budget...... :(

Guys,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all for the precious advice you've all given me. I have now relocated to Gazcue and everything is going very well.

By the way, I'm bilingual English/Spanish, so If any of you need any help, don't hesitate in contacting me.

Thanks again,
Jose

Glad things are settling down for you

Bob K

Thanks Bob!

Amazing Jose

Gazcue is gorgeous. I like Arroyo Hondo too, but it's far away from the city.

Bienvenido!

Thanks drtuttle! I love Gazcue.

Good to hear you are settling in.  Good luck...:)