What kinda stuff is allowed to bring in İstanbul from Karachi?

Selam can anyone tell me if i can take some homemade food with me from Karachi to İstanbul? My husband is in İstanbul and he wants some homemade food.

As long as it is in the allowance of airport security, nothing unwrapped and meet wt the kilogram limitations, make sure u close and wrap them enough to prevent spoiling around. Not with you suitcase, put it to your baggage.

Taking foods and agricultural products through Customs in any country is always a problem and you are more likely than not to have whatever you are bringing in confiscated and thrown in the garbage by Customs Officers. Also it will likely result in a lengthy delay in Secondary Inspection in many countries.

If you are going into the country, then my strong recommendation to you would be don't take any of it with you. Go shopping there to find the ingredients you need and make the home cooked meal for him there in Istanbul. That's going to save you from all kinds of headaches at the airport.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Bushra,

It is not uncommon to bring in food in airtight packing, so you should get it air tightened like one of those ready made food packages available from Shan or National foods.

Enjoy your trip.

Buşra wrote:

Selam can anyone tell me if i can take some homemade food with me from Karachi to İstanbul? My husband is in İstanbul and he wants some homemade food.

Zeland wrote:

Hi Büşra,

The following items are banned: cheese, meat products, chocolate, tea, honey, canned food and sugar.

I brought all of them no problem i have had, They can only take your items if it is commercial use, for ex if u bring more than 2-3 package of same item same brand then they will take it and tax it,

If those items would be BANNED whole Ataturk Airport would be shut down. No need to be paranoid, as long as it is safely packed and does not contain any harmful or oversize items no problems will occur.

https://turkey.visahq.com/customs/

That is a helpful website, those are prohibited items,

•    Firearms and military ammunitions
•    Pharmaceuticals
•    Drugs
•    Meat and dairy products
•    Madioactive substances

But i do recommend you to not reach the overlimit in liquor because they are easy to identify in your baggage. Also bringing too much electronics (for ex, non used 3-4 laptops,phones etc) will put you to customs, not the thing that anything can happen to you but they will take it and tax it, so it will be in your decision to whether take it or not with the charges. And customs in turkey is not working fast.

I brought alcohol,canned food,chocolates(sugar items),cheese,sandwiches, NO problem at all. In case of drugs, you can take all of your prescripted medicines with you, that ban is only to avoid drug trafficking.Obviously,about firearms; even though you have right to carry a gun back home, you cannot carry with you to another country. Anything accepted if it is also duty free( because they are packed) item.No toothpaste allowed and you cannot carry more than 100 ml of liquids in your hand baggage. You cannot carry open box of food in your hand baggage. So home food goes to your baggage. Nothing made of glass, open or close containers of sodas are banned along with water bottles for ur hand luggage. You can take food to your hand luggage but make it simple like apple,bananas etc. otherwise it might be considered exotic food which is banned because simply you can go somewhere else to reproduce it and make profit out of it.

Hope this answer is beneficial for all travelers.