Palmas del mar

We are planning a move to Puerto Rico in May 2016.  I would love to get feed back from expats living in the palmas del mar area.  we have 2 daughters that would be attending the school.  Is there to many tourist in this area?  How safe is it for young girls?  Is it hard to live on or very close to the beach>

Thanks

Talk to FrogRock I believe she lives there

I live in Palmas del Mar but i do not have children.  The kids I see around the place seem happy and well-adjusted. They get to drive to school in golf carts. You are welcome to visit me for a tour if you are in the neighborhood.

so funny  I was wondering about the golf carts and school.  Thanks for the offer.  we will spend the first month of moving deciding where to live so i may take you up on that tour.  thanks

We are in Palmas and our three boys will be attending Palmas for the first time this fall.  If you do plan to enroll your kid(s), I would do so ASAP as the admissions process can be quite lengthy and room in some grades is limited.  The school itself is very nice and we had a great experience with the summer camp run by many of the school employees and older school kids.  It is located on the back portion of Palmas, so if you are looking at housing Palmas Plantation and Costa Verde are the closest (though nothing is ridiculously far away...all within 15 minutes via golf cart) I would be happy to answer more specific questions if you have them 👍😄

Also, palmas is incredibly safe and there are many housing options with ocean views or directly on a beach.  The beaches are not really swimming beaches though...more like pretty to look at and listen to beaches.

how far to swimming beaches?

tammyjo wrote:

how far to swimming beaches?

I will say you are within an hour top to a good swimming beach. Also, you can take the ferry or a charter to Vieques or Culebra and experience some of the best beaches in PR.

We have not found one yet on the East Coast.  Luquillo is supposed to be, but we did not -- algae is everywhere and beaches are terribly crowded.  We collect sea glass from a cove here in Palmas...but otherwise...sandy white sitting and swimming is not to be had.  Some of the nearby islands are better beach choices as is he western coast of PR:  http://vieques.com/island-puerto-rico-beaches/  Palmas has tons of pools...beach club is right on the ocean, but you look at it, not jump in.

Amy Renea wrote:

We have not found one yet on the East Coast.  Luquillo is supposed to be, but we did not -- algae is everywhere and beaches are terribly crowded.  We collect sea glass from a cove here in Palmas...but otherwise...sandy white sitting and swimming is not to be had.  Some of the nearby islands are better beach choices as is he western coast of PR:  http://vieques.com/island-puerto-rico-beaches/  Palmas has tons of pools...beach club is right on the ocean, but you look at it, not jump in.

While I agree on the beaches of the offshore islands, I was in Luquillo beach July 18 and the beach was nice, it was a Saturday early afternoon and there was quite a bit of people but not what I would consider crowded. Water was clean and warm and clear of weeds and other stuff that normally turn people off. Luquillo is a swimmable beach, very calm water, barely a ripple as the water touches the sand. Not sure what the disappointment with Luquillo is, I liked it and my wife liked it and she is fairly picky.

Summer in PR means beach time. Kids are out of school, most of the working force takes weekends off (specially government) and spend time at the beach. We usually went on weekdays and had found that is less crowded.

During summer time there is always a concert or activity at any given beach in PR......got to love it!!!

adlin20 wrote:

Summer in PR means beach time. Kids are out of school, most of the working force takes weekends off (specially government) and spend time at the beach. We usually went on weekdays and had found that is less crowded.

During summer time there is always a concert or activity at any given beach in PR......got to love it!!!

No matter what the calendar says, it's summer year round.
Rare when you can not go to the beach

I would agree that a cheap ferry ride to Vieques gets you to the most incredible swimming beaches and many are almost empty. There are private individuals that meet the ferries and will take you almost anywhere and most will come back for you to make the ferry back to the main island.

vegchef wrote:

I would agree that a cheap ferry ride to Vieques gets you to the most incredible swimming beaches and many are almost empty. There are private individuals that meet the ferries and will take you almost anywhere and most will come back for you to make the ferry back to the main island.

That Ferry is cheap, only 4 dollars round trip if I remember right and only 2 for seniors.
You can also ferry your car to the island if I remember correctly and explore.

You just need to be at the port early. They only have a certain amount of tickets. Once they're sold you are left behind. I read they were adding an additional boat to meet the demand. Not sure how much they charge for cars.

Ok. I look up the charges. $2/person each way. Carsbare $15/each way, $$19 for trucks. From Vieques leaves at 6:30, 11:00, 3:00 & 6:30. From Fajardo leaves at 9:30, 1:00, 4:30 & 8:00 Monday thru Friday.

Weekend and holly days. From Vieques 6:30, 1:00 & 4:30. From Fajardo 9:00, 3:00 & 6:00

If you don't want to take your car. There is public transportation and it is regulated. $2/person to any public place.

$5/person for a tour of el faro (lighthouse), the fort, Sun Bay Beach and Esperanza beach.

Vieques-island.com

It's is spanish, but you can use google translator.

Amy Renea wrote:

The beaches are not really swimming beaches though...more like pretty to look at and listen to beaches.

Amy, Can you please explain what it is that makes the beach at Palmas del Mar an unswimmable beach?  We are used to swimming in the Atlantic Ocean in summer and wonder how this compares?  We absolutely love swimming in Caribbean waters and always feel once we enter all our ailments go away. 

We will be visiting Palmas del Mar for one whole month from August 15 to September 14 after a one week stay on St. Thomas.  Jumping out of our skin with eager anticipation.  Would love to do a get together with some folks.

And by early, that means 4AM... it is CRAZY busy.  You'll already have a line in front of you.

sure :)  The undertow is very, very strong.  No swimming signs are posted at the beach club beach and there is seaweed from the grass to the water.  The sand is under the seaweed.  Some beaches have a little more sand at low tide, but the waves comes in hard and fast.  There is maybe 3 feet to put a chair in to sit on the sand.  Many of the little beaches in Palmas are next to cliffs and lined with big boulders -- the waves can easily push you into them. 

We went snorkeling with our two oldest near Monkey Island and it was fairly calm.  However, both my husband and I (both good swimmers, I was a lifeguard) got caught a little too close to shore and were pushed into boulders and got sea urchin stingers (?) in hands/legs.  It is definitely swimmable there, but not right next to the shore.

I have literally never seen anyone swimming in the waters off Palmas, but there are tons of boats that go out and plenty of people swim in the open waters.  Almost every community here has a pool to share, many homes have private pools and the beach club is available as well.  It is a beach community, just not a beach swimming community.  :)  The views off the cliffs are incredible and the saltwater smells nice (unless you are near certain parts of the harbor -- the seaweed is quite putrid in a few spots, so if you are going to rent or buy unseen, give me a holler and I will let you know if it happens to be in one of the "spots".  We are renting right on a boat slip and it hasn't been a problem, but in some areas it really is a deal breaker).  Hope that helps!

Also, let me know when you arrive -- would be happy to show you around a bit :)

Regarding swimming in Palmas del Mar
  My family and I love to go swimming at the beach in Palmas. We ride our bikes down Candelero Drive where there are small entrances to the beach on either side of the Crescent Beach condo development. There is no car parking area just space for bikes and golf carts. I would say the beach is about 20 feet deep, There is some dried up seaweed on the shore but  not much and no smell and the water was very pleasant to swim in the last time I was there which was about a week and a half ago. There are always many families with small children swimming here every time I have been. There have been " no swimming" red flags up farther south towards the Beach Bohio Bar but the section of beach I am referring to seems to not get the strong currents and undertow.

Thank you Amy and Lauren for your responses.  Lauren, welcome to the board.  Do you live in Palmas del Mar or were you visiting? 

I know I have looked at about a gazillion pictures of Palmas and have often seen people in the water.  Perhaps not "swimming" per se, but hanging in the water and seeming to enjoy it.  We will be spending our month at Crescent Beach, so it sounds perfect.    Thanks for sharing that Lauren.  I respect the strong currents for sure, though.  It also looks as if the water around Candelera Point is calm and clear, but looks can be deceiving. 

Is the seaweed seen still the sargassum that has been floating around the Caribbean this summer, or is it native seaweed? We have plenty of seaweed in the bays at home as well. 

I have been a beach girl all my life and so prefer natural waters to pool water.  But on a good hot day, a pool will be more than wonderful.

Amy thank you for your offer.  I look forward to meeting you.

Thank you for the information.  I have yet to visit this part of the beach.  Last night my brother and I were at the Bohio Beach Bar for dinner and the full moon.  There are waves there, but they are mild as compared to the ocean beaches on Long Island. I am in Harbour Lakes.

Hi Tammy,

My partner and I recently relocated to Palmas del Mar and we absolutely love it here. Right now the beaches (along with a lot of the Caribbean and Mexico) are suffering from what is known as Sargassum which is a type of seaweed that is washing up in bulk. It will not be permanent and appears to be lessening. Palmas is one of the best kept secrets on the island. Many companies (including mine) and individuals are coming to the island for benefits under Act 20 & 22. Our company consults on both and handles app filing. We renovated a beautiful office space in Palmanova Plaza within Palmas. The local restaurants and stores here are all exceptional in Palmas and outside the community. The beaches here are decent. There are a couple small ones off the beaten path that are swimmable. The beaches and tides change throughout the year. If Palmas beaches don't cut it, we are very close to Fajardo (seven seas beach) and Luquillo, both of which have spectacular beaches!!!

If you're looking in San Juan, Condado, Dorado, etc... forget about getting a spacious home close to the water. In Palmas, there is no crime, over 46 different neighborhoods totaling over 1300 homes. Something here for everyone whether it be a condo community with associations and pools, townhouses, single family homes. There are a good number of homes on the market that have good views or partial water views. We used Ricardo at Casillas Realty who goes above and beyond what any realtor would do in the States to make you feel comfortable and transition smoothly. Many of the neighborhoods have their own pools and association facilities. Some do not. There is also the Palmas Athletic Club that is spectacular. It includes 2 golf courses, pool club, tennis and gym facilities, etc... Very pleased. They recently threw an exceptional Halloween party and events for kids. I do not have children but the Palmas Academy is exceptional and teaches in English. Many of its graduates go off to very good colleges and universities.

We spent about a year considering whether or not to move before we did especially when it meant moving away from friends and family. Everyone here has been so kind and welcoming. You can't beat the weather, there is so much exploring to do on the weekends and once you eventually see everything in PR, you can island hop the Caribbean.

Anyway, good luck on your new adventure and let me know if you ever have any questions!!

Hi Amy,

The sea glass collecting beach cove is swimmable depending on the day and the beaches here seem to change a lot. I walk to them almost every day. Just a week ago, there was no seaweed floating up and the water was crystal clear and sandy. Spent the day picnicking at it and swimming right off the shore in the sandy areas before it turns to sea grass. Seven Seas in Fajardo is not far at all too and the water there is really nice!  :D

If you are interested in pictures of the beaches -- here are some from Palmas:  http://www.anestforallseasons.com/2015/ … aches.html

A few friends have said Seven Seas and Luquillo can be nice, so we will be trying those again on a weekday, but I have yet to see the Palmas beaches nice up close (from far away...the views are always beautiful).

Thank you so much  this was very helpful  you spoke of sensory tables  do u have a child with sensory issues? I have a child with sensory processing disorder

Hi Tammy --
No, I don't, but have spoken with a couple friends many times about the struggles their children have had with sensory issues.  I know it can be quite difficult -- how old is your child?

The sensory boxes were mainly for my youngest (daughter, just turned 2) and were a kind of "safe" beach...one had sand and one had larger stones and the third had a fountain/water.  She could dig around in the textures on the porch.  We moved and I emptied the boxes, but would definitely have refilled them with beans, perlite, etc.  Actually, I have 2 left and we are leaving for Thanksgiving/Christmas.  If you would like them, they are yours :)