Safety in Colombia

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Colombia?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Colombia and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I live in cartagena in the Puerto d ed los allies area. I have no problem day or nite even tho my Spanish is limited.I find the people willing to help and I have been there off and on for 8 years..In center city no problem either even tho my neighbors tell me different.I am the only American where I live.if you want my email it is jmyerberg@hotmail. Com

I live in Bogotá in Ciudad Jardín Sur.
I feel safe in Bogota. My wife, who is Colombiana, and I walk daily for shopping, banking etc.  We seldom are out late.

In some areas of the city I believe criminality is high.  I can't speak about other areas of the country. 

Monty

You are not safe in this country , any thing can pass at any place any time.In general
people are very nice, very cooperative  but there are others who are willing to attack you, rob you at gun point.
I live in Medellin and every day I see, me too have faced gun point robbery .
worst is Locals dont help you they just keep on watching, rather close their eyes

I am 70 years old and live in Medellin, 2 years there, then prior 3 years in Bogota.  I believe Colombia to be safer than other countries in which I have lived.  I am from Washington, DC USA.  I feel safer in Medellin than DC.  I have walked alone on the streets at night, in the cities and also in smaller towns all over Colombia.  Never any problem, and when the locals see that I am a Gringo, they will give me some warning, in the rare case that they think I am in some danger.
The only danger is traffic (maybe pickpockets on public transportation), because I sometimes forget that pedestrians do not have the right-of-way

I have lived in Cali for more than 6 years. Using common sense as to where you go and when will keep you as safe as almost anywhere in the U.S. In fact, places like Detroit, MI; East St. Louis, MO, etc. are far more dangerous than most places here.

I walk or take a bus to any place I need to go and don't spend a minute worrying about whether or not I am safe.

The caution about pedestrians not having the right of way is a good one.

Moronic Question.  I can show you places in Paris, NYC, San Francisco which would have you shaking in your boots.. I hav never been a victim of crime, I use street smarts and I have never had a prob in Colombia.  I was mugged in Paris.  Burgled in SF.  Chased by a gang in Brooklyn. :dumbom:

Use common sense in the USA or wherever you travel. Have lived in Europe ans Australia and now Colombia.Have lived in Miami for 20 yrs more dangerous here including pedestrian and I ride a bike.I find cartagena the safest

I haven't traveled extensively in Colombia but I've been going there since 1995 and things have been getting noticeably better from then until now.

I've been to Buenaventura, Bogotá, Zipaquirá, Palmira, Pavas, Lago Calima, Dapa and various places in and around Cali where my wife's family mostly lives.

I almost always travel with family members - they know the dangers much better than I do.  But I am always alert and have "situational awareness" not just in Colombia but most anywhere.  My perception and I believe the reality is there are places just as dangerous and more so, in many big US cities where I've lived and visited.  Areas in Colombia where you might encounter Farc/ELN, or minefields, are usually pretty well known and people just don't go there.  In other areas I feel safer when I see armed police or the military patrolling.  I admit in the 90s it was sobering to see assault-rifle armed police on street corners in Bogotá, and you couldn't get into many commercial buildings unless someone came and unlocked the door for you - and it's still like that in many residential buildings in cities everywhere in Colombia.  But I was already used to seeing bars on windows of houses in many US cities so it didn't come as a big surprise to see them everywhere in Colombia LOL...by far the most widespread crime is burglary, if something valuable isn't chained down (and even if it is) it is subject to theft.

I've never been robbed or assaulted or anything in Colombia - but most of my wife's family's adults have been at one time or another in their life.  I've experienced crime in the US and most of us have, I think - I have had stuff stolen here in the US and have had "close encounters" on the streets...

Nevertheless my wife's family is not afraid to go out and about in Colombia and neither am I.  Use common sense and prudence and you'll probably be OK.  By far most Colombians are honest, hard workers and good people - but there are many crimes of opportunity that can happen in seconds, if there are any bad guys around.

Life in Colombia can be wonderful especially if you bring money, and that's pretty much true anywhere.  But the average Colombian is welcoming and friendly and the way of life is more relaxed, and it's a nice change even though there are some thorns along with the roses...

I live in Palmira, which is outside of Cali. I have not had any safety issues. My neighbors are very nice. I feel reasonably safe in Palmira. I can not speak sentences in Spanish. People are very nice and helpful.

If you haven't already you should visit the Reserva Natural Nirvana, just outside of Palmira in La Buitrera:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R … tment.html

They have a great restaurant there, too, here's their website in English:

http://dacalero.wix.com/nirvana-english

You can do a circuit hike which is very interesting, with really nice views from the top, plus the main center where the restaurant is has a living butterfly exhibit you can walk around in.  Well worth the trip for the food (rainbow trout! and other dishes) and the nature hike.

Map showing location, just southeast of Palmira:

https://www.google.com/maps/@3.4681689,-76.2494123,11z

I live in Barranquilla. I have been here just over 2 years now. I'm from the US, from Washington and Arizona states. In both of those states I had my home broken into 2 times each. I had other stuff stolen out of my yards. Here in B'quilla I have had no threats of any kind, day or night. I've walked all the way across the city at 2am, 3am, seen a few people out there, but had no confrontations. I stay aware of what is happening around me, and of anyone behind me. I don't speak much spanish, and haven't had any problems in that regards either. Once I was walking thru a wooded area, approaching an arroyo with a foot bridge across it, I saw 4 young guys, maybe late teens/early 20's, hanging out at the far end of the bridge. I just walked across, picked out the guy who appeared to be the leader, and looked him in the eyes as I approached them. They all stared at me, but backed off and let me through with no words, no threats, nothing. I have been to Ghana, Malaysia and Mexico, and have always spend much time walking to see the sights, day and night. Never any problems. I am the only gringo in the barrio I live in, and from what I've seen, the only one in most of the barrios in this whole part of the city (central-south-east). And I'm no 90-pound weakling, and people recognize that, so that might help, too. Honestly, I feel safer here than in any place I have lived in the US.

hikingwithu wrote:

I saw 4 young guys, maybe late teens/early 20's, hanging out at the far end of the bridge. I just walked across, picked out the guy who appeared to be the leader, and looked him in the eyes as I approached them....I'm no 90-pound weakling, and people recognize that, so that might help, too.

This strategy worked for this athletic hiker, but I learned from experience it won't work for everyone.

When I tried to stare down an obvious maldito in South Quito, Ecuador, a few years ago, he didn't give an inch.  Momentarily, he and three other pandilleros had me on the ground and were holding me down and ripping cash from my pockets.

My biggest mistake that day was not exiting faster from the Loja Street-Avenida 24 de Mayo area when I realized I had stumbled into it, as I had read it was a dangerous neighborhood for Gringos.

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Highest Murder Rates By City

It is not a "moronic" question at all.  Above is a link to the list of highest murder rates among major cities.  Sure there are dangerous places in the USA.  They are on the list.  Different cities are more or less dangerous.  Different areas of the same cities are more or less dangerous.  I lived in Cali for 6 months 2009-2010.  Cali is the most dangerous city in Colombia based on murder rates.  I was never robbed or attacked in Cali, but in general it is much more dangerous than most cities in the US and visitors should be aware of that and they should exercise caution.  Talk to others who know the city and the country and find out what areas are not safe.  It would be moronic to not do so.

I live in Medellin and so does the wife's family. Crime happens here and everywhere. Don't let it panic you. I have never had a problem in the four years of living here. A little common sense and street smarts is all you need

My ex wife is Colombiana, I am a former police officer and ex military. I have been traveling to Colombia since Feb. 2000 and have lived in Medellin for one year. The only incident I had which was serious was in June of 2000 in Barranquilla , I was involved in an attempted kidnapping at gunpoint. I was able to get away. Two armed men on a motorcycle and one armed man with sub machine gun in a jeep. But most is common sense and being aware of your surroundings. I have seen the change in Colombia over the years. Things have improved. Sure isolated things happen , but these things can happen in any US city. Sometimes worse. I love Colombia and the people.

Use common sense!!!!

Have been to Barranquilla many times and ventured out both day and night and have always felt safe.As is I'm sure is the case with any cities there are good and bad areas, but I have had no issues in any of the northern coastal cities I have traveled.

Have visited Colombia several times this year to date, get married and visit.  During my visit, i have walked around the streets of Medellin alone while my wife worked.

Everyone thus far seems friendly.  With each visit i loved Colombia more.  To the point that i decided to retire and become a resident. 

I guess every place has its bad places and unfriendlies.  There are parts of Houston that i don't go into even during daylight hours.

I agree with all the other posters.  I live in Barranquilla which is one of the safer cities in Colombia.  I have lived all over the USA and I think Colombia is as safe, if not more so than most  cities in the  USA.  I don't like all the "rejas" on the windows and doors that you see  in most So Amer cities.  The safety problem in Colombia has really reduced with increased prosperity in the country.  Barranquilla is a boom town.  In the 10 years I have been here, I have seen a dramatic decrease in street beggars and gang activity.