New members of the Puerto Rico forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015

adlin20 wrote:

For what I have read, battery systems are expensive and require more maintenance, Unless you are "off the grid" it is not recommendable as batteries have to be change out about every 5 years. I am looking at eh new Tesla battery for home use, it may be a good option, but most likely it will be a few years before it is affordable. There are several companies in the island offering solar power tied to the grid as back up or night use.

We seem to think alike, I was considering the Tesla batteries also. Since a lot of people use little electricity during the day because the windows are open or they work, there is little savings if drawing from the street at night. I would only consider it if I don't have to draw from the grid. I think the batteries are affordable if they last a long time and depending on how many one needs. Tasks batteries are to run around 3,500 each but I have no idea how long they last.

I was just doing some research on the Tesla systems. Problem is that I probably will always rent , unless my ship REALLY comes in, so how involved do I want to get at someone else's home, right?

vegchef wrote:

I was just doing some research on the Tesla systems. Problem is that I probably will always rent , unless my ship REALLY comes in, so how involved do I want to get at someone else's home, right?

Makes sense. Even a generator may not work for you unless you are just running an extension cord into  the house. Integration requires some changes to the power panel in the house and since you are renting it is not likely to happen.
Oh well it was an interesting conversation either way.

ReyP wrote:
adlin20 wrote:

For what I have read, battery systems are expensive and require more maintenance, Unless you are "off the grid" it is not recommendable as batteries have to be change out about every 5 years. I am looking at eh new Tesla battery for home use, it may be a good option, but most likely it will be a few years before it is affordable. There are several companies in the island offering solar power tied to the grid as back up or night use.

We seem to think alike, I was considering the Tesla batteries also. Since a lot of people use little electricity during the day because the windows are open or they work, there is little savings if drawing from the street at night. I would only consider it if I don't have to draw from the grid. I think the batteries are affordable if they last a long time and depending on how many one needs. Tasks batteries are to run around 3,500 each but I have no idea how long they last.

For what I have read life expectancy of the batteries is between 5-8 yrs. The way on the grid system works is your system will generate extra energy during the day. That extra energy is "sell back" into the grid. At night you use the "credit " you accumulate during the day. Federal law apply in the island so the electric company had to give you credit for the extra energy send back into the grid. As long as you're not using more than you generate there is no charge for the grid. Your electric bill is $3 for the use of the line.

The home I'm renting in Rincon may have a buy option, but I want to live there awhile to see. As a hone owner (100 acre horse farm in n.y.state0 and retired, I don't know how I feel about owning anything again .Easier to change things up if you need/want to if you don't have to worry about property.

Hi veg chef,
Are you a vegan or vegetarian chef?
Just wondering due to you online ID

Hey Rey! Personally I fluctuate between veg/vegan. Professionally my specialties were multi-cultural with strong vegetarian influences. I lived for 5 years following a macrobiotic diet started when I was diagnosed with 2 kinds of cancer. 15 years out, still cancer free. macro absolutely saved my life! As a culinary instructor, I just concentrate on whole food cooking, which certainly has heavy emphasis on veggies, fruits and grains. I LOVE food, and when I started cooking veg professionally, it was hard to get good food.Boy has the industry changed! glad to see it. I struggle here to find good produce. I'll have room for raised bed gardens at the place in Rincon, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Have you tried the "Plaza del Mercado" (market place), I remember going to the one in Ponce with my grampa early in the morning. All kind of vendors selling different fruits and vegetables. I am not sure if that still happening but it will be something to check out. Also, driving up the panoramic route up towards the mountains there still are small side vendors selling their local products.

Thanks, the longer I'm here, the more I'll scope out for sure. Any opinions on the Aguadilla farmer's market?

vegchef wrote:

Hey Rey! Personally I fluctuate between veg/vegan. Professionally my specialties were multi-cultural with strong vegetarian influences. I lived for 5 years following a macrobiotic diet started when I was diagnosed with 2 kinds of cancer. 15 years out, still cancer free. macro absolutely saved my life! As a culinary instructor, I just concentrate on whole food cooking, which certainly has heavy emphasis on veggies, fruits and grains. I LOVE food, and when I started cooking veg professionally, it was hard to get good food.Boy has the industry changed! glad to see it. I struggle here to find good produce. I'll have room for raised bed gardens at the place in Rincon, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

If you drive in secondary roads you are likely to see several people selling all sorts of items, some fresh vegetables unlike the not so fresh from the supermarkets. Also trading with neighbors .... I'll trade you avocados for green peppers. Nothing like a trade as it is free and no taxes.
Mostly I am a Carnivore, but I eat almost anything. I have several Indian friends here in the states and they are vegetarian, the way they fix vegetables I do not think is too healthy but the food is delicious. I specialty like the dishes that are SpIcy Hot.

I raise chickens and rabbits here in Texas, have not had to purchase and egg in a few years. Also we have a garden were we grow peppers, jalapenos, squash, corn and tomatoes.

My plan is to do the same in the island.   :)

vegchef- Go to the Aguadilla market. You can make connections there. They grow some hydroponic stuff on premises and make there own bread. You can meet some other vendors there as well and they can lead you in the food direction you want. Also there is a farmers market in Rincon every Sunday in the plaza. You can get fresh organics there but mostly you can make all the connections you need to find just about anything you want. There is also a permanent stand in Rincon called "Sana". They have the best organic veggies and herbs around and are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. If you can't find their stand, ask someone at the market, they will know. There is a growng movement toward organic farming and the people i mentioned can help you. Get involved and help the movement grow too if you are so inclined. If you find Sana, a woman by the name of Sonya is usually there. Tell her Gregg the knife sharpener sends his love.

Wow! thank you both so much. Coming from an agricultural area in N.Y. State, I too raised all my own Veggies, laying hens, ect. I'm pretty much a freak about organics, non-gmo, and thwarting Monsanto, so yes, I will follow up with your suggestions, become involved, and hunt down Sana, with a hi from you, Greg.

Sana used to have open house events to tour the farm and seminars. Don't know if they still do that or not. Sonya and her husband are some of the hardest working people I know. There is also a woman named Amena from Trinidad that brings her home cooked vegetarian dishes for the vendors in the Rincon market to have lunch once in awhile. Her food is absolutely wonderful! Ask her and she may share some recipes with you. Also if you do run into her, tell her that Gregg the knife sharpener loves her and misses her and her food terribly. Also at the Rincon market you might find a wonderful woman named Vanessa who.bakes healthy sugar free cakes and goodies. She has to be the smartest person I have ever met. Get to know some of these people and if you are able to make some friends you will be off to a very good start. Oh, BTW all these people I've mentioned speak English very well, just in case your Spanish isn't so good.

Hello Everyone,
My name is Daniela I am from Portugal. I am 22 years old.
I just received a 6-month job offer in San Juan, however, I have no idea about the cost of living in Puerto Rico and I would appreciate your help.
I got offered a salary of 1100 USD per month. It is possible to live in San Juan with that salary?
And what are the monthly costs of:
- One bedroom in a shared apartment
- public transportation
- Food budget
- common bills (Internet, television, mobile phone, electricity, water, etc)

Thank You for your time!   :)

Hello, Daniela. Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, I think the salary they have offered you is too low for the cost of living in the San Juan metro area. Where is the job? I mean, in what sector of San Juan? I ask because it would help in determining if you'll need your own car (which you almost certainly will).

Best of luck,

I agree with NomadLawyer, it is a bit on the low side. Personally, if I were your company I would be embarrassed to offer you that little for such a move abroad.  I still maintain that it might not be a great idea to jump into a move there right at the moment.The island is in terrible finacial trouble and I'd hate to see anyone get caught up in an out of control downward spiraling economy. They just defaulted on their debt which could possibly have some severe consequences for just about everyone living on the island.

In San Juan most of your salary would go toward your rent, I do not see it likely that you will survive on that. The farther you go from San Juan the cheaper the places, I see 300-500 but you need a car.
Check this link: http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

Hello,

Thank so much for the help! It is much appreciated!
The company is located at Ave. Rafael Cordero. So will I need a car or public transportation is ok?
Can you give an idea of what would be an adequate salary?
When can give an idea as well of what is the cost of One bedroom in a shared apartment and common bills (Internet, television, mobile phone, electricity, water, etc)

Thank you for your time!

DanielaR wrote:

Hello,

The company is located at Ave. Rafael Cordero. So will I need a car or public transportation is ok?
When can give an idea as well of what is the cost of One bedroom in a shared apartment and common bills (Internet, television, mobile phone, electricity, water, etc)

Thank you for your time!

Not familiar with that road and transportation will depend on where you end up getting a place. Maybe somebody else living in the Metro area can help???

We are seeking relocation options in Puerto Rico.
We are fleeing cold weather and crowded northeast US.
We desire properties on, or in close proximity to, beach and marina.
Being near good surf, snorkling is also a plus.
We wish to be located on or near a resort and amenities, including golf and tennis.
We can work in PR or conduct home businesses via internet.

Can anyone recommend best place to start search?
Is travelling around the island difficult?

DanielaR wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your time!

Hi Daniela:

Looking at Google Maps, Ave. Rafael Cordero is in Caguas, which is located south of the metro San Juan area.  Not sure if there are busses there.  The only train service, the Tren Urbano, operates exclusively in metro San Juan.

For rentals, you can check out Clasificados Online and limit your search to Caguas. 

Best of luck in your research!

Where I live there is golf, a tennis center, beach and boats. It is called Palmas del Mar and is located in Humacao on the east coast.  Here is a website to get you started: seepalmas.com

frogrock, thanks. palmas del mar sounds ideal.
how far is it from SJ?
do u own a car?
is there a town center? supermarkets?
do u own a condo? single-fam home?
do you work in PR? retired?
is there reliable  internet?
is there a marina with boat slips?

Hi everybody,

This thread has been created for the introduction of the new  members only.

@ jfkouten > For your questions, i would advise you to create your own thread on the Puerto Rico forum as you are quite off topic here.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi guys and girls. I'm relocating from Atlanta to the Island - and will be all settled in in Sept. I've worked with a few realtors but decided it's best to see properties 1st hand and the surrounding areas so I'll be crashing with a friend in Ceiba until I decide what areas I like best - then I'll focus in.

I'm ex-military (USAF) - even though I've been out of the military for 11 years l can relocate with the best of them because of that experience. :) I'm a computer systems engineer and have been working remotely for the last 6 years, and have decided that for the next 3 or 4 PR will be home.

Any tips or information RE: PR is gladly accepted - especially if you guys have grown to know excellent realtors.

Welcome to the blog.
We can answer most of you specific questions.
If you need a good buyer realto agent, just say the word.

By the way, I'm in the process of getting a property in Ceiba.
And I lived in Mariatta for a while many years ago.

Welcome to the forum!  :idontagree:

I do the same thing. My husband lives at PR and I in Brazil. I'm now at Puerto Rico and very "aburrida" since I don´t have friends and He spends all day working.

Welcome, Baby J and sbiah!

Hello Everyone! My name is Braydon. I am brand new here, but after a few days of searching expat forums and a few more days of reading over all the topics in this particular forum, I knew this was the place for me! Everyone seems so exceptionally friendly and helpful and usually when it comes to paradise people paint a bad picture to keep others out, so I'm grateful to find this place.

I am a long way from moving to Puerto Rico, so this will just be an introduction and my chance to start getting to slowly know the community. I lived on St. Thomas a few years back for a little over a year.  My love for the Caribbean was strong before that and it remains strong today. My fiancée (and soon to be wife) and I have a fantastic 1 1/2 year old son and I have convinced her to make the move eventually. We have made the choice of PR tentatively because we want our son to have a much different life experience than we did. We want him to be bi or tri-lingual and we want him to have a sense of adventure and culture not being taught in the states. Also not having to deal with any external citizenship outside the US is helpful with a blossoming family. So I just wanted to say hi and unload our plan (that's about 2 1/2-3 years out) and just start to get to know everyone. Thanks and have a great night!

Welcome!

Come on down!

Hi, Braydon, welcome and thanks for the introduction!  You are welcome to start a new post for any questions you might have.  We haven't yet moved there, either, but are looking to go more and more long term at this point.

Come on down Braydon, the water is warm but refreshing, join us all.

Welcome to the group!!!!  :dumbom:

Thank you, thank you everyone! I feel very welcomed already! My fiancee and I are planning a trip over to PR in late Oct./Early Nov. to do our first exploration. I know pretty much what to expect but she has never been to the Caribbean so I am very excited to see what she thinks. Maybe we can meet up with some of you once we know exactly when our trip is booked! It would be nice to have insider insight on daily life once we are there. I know how much "vacation eyes" can skew scouting trips for real life scenarios! But we are very excited to say the least! Talk to you all very soon. : )

Hi all !!
My name is Marlene. I landed last week on the island I am new and want to get to know ppl.
At the moment I am based in Aguadilla.
I am from Austria (no not Australia : P) I am in my mid twenties and  I am a teacher for Special Needs Education.
It would be great to meet some ppl here. If u wanna know something about me just contact me - I am happy to get in contact with ppl !
Looking forward to meet youu guys! Cheers

Welcome to the forum and to the island!!   :whistle:

Welcome to Puerto Rico! There's a great church in Rincon, the "Church without walls". There you can meet many people your own age. PM me, and I'd be happy to give you my wife's contact, so you can perhaps learn more about the area. My wife is from the area, and I'm an expat.  Members of our church come from all over the globe, services are in English, and they just started a school, the "without walls academy". Two of the church members teach there, Jack & his wife, Damaris.

again, welcome!

Mac-

Closed