Dual Nationality and Citizenship issue

Hi all, although it could be fairly assumed that any child born abroad of at least one Mauritian parent would have automatic right to Mauritian Nationality and Citizenship, however i was also informed not so long ago that any such child would only be granted Dual Nationality until the age of 18 after which he or she would have to choose and opt in favour of one or the other.

Does anyone know whether this piece of information is accurate??

Many thanks!

You can go  on the Govt site  or have a summary here:
lawteacher.net/family-law/essays/acquiring-mauritian-citizenship-law-essays.php

Nowhere it is written what you are enquiring about. Mauritius does not forbid dual citizenship
It is from an old section of the Citizenship Act  ( revised afterwards in 1995) which went like this:
Previous section 15 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act
(1)Subject to subsection (2), any person being a citizen of Mauritius and also a national or citizen of some other country, who has attained the age of 21 on or after 12 March 1968 shall, within 12 months after he attains that age, renounce the nationality or citizenship of that other country, failing which, he shall cease to be a citizen of Mauritius.
(2)Where the Minister is satisfied that the person mentioned in subsection (1) was absent from Mauritius during the period of 12 months, he may extend the time within which that person shall renounce the nationality or citizenship of that other country

BTW: The exact  expression is : Dual Citizenship since you child is Mauritian through the Jus Sanguinis status ( because you are born in Mauritius e.g.) and he is not applying for naturalization  ( like being English and adopting a new citizenship thus having dual nationality)

Ok!.. it must have been the pre revised version of the Citizenship Act that i was referred to.

Thanks External.

External wrote:

You can go  on the Govt site  or have a summary here:
http://www.lawteacher.net/family-law/es … essays.php

Nowhere it is written what you are enquiring about. Mauritius does not forbid dual citizenship
It is from an old section of the Citizenship Act  ( revised afterwards in 1995) which went like this:
Previous section 15 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act
(1)Subject to subsection (2), any person being a citizen of Mauritius and also a national or citizen of some other country, who has attained the age of 21 on or after 12 March 1968 shall, within 12 months after he attains that age, renounce the nationality or citizenship of that other country, failing which, he shall cease to be a citizen of Mauritius.
(2)Where the Minister is satisfied that the person mentioned in subsection (1) was absent from Mauritius during the period of 12 months, he may extend the time within which that person shall renounce the nationality or citizenship of that other country

BTW: The exact  expression is : Dual Citizenship since you child is Mauritian through the Jus Sanguinis status ( because you are born in Mauritius e.g.) and he is not applying for naturalization  ( like being English and adopting a new citizenship thus having dual nationality)

I'm sort of confused here..
I was born in Belgium from a Mauritian mother and a Belgian father. I currently live in Mauritius holding a Mauritian National Identity Card and a Mauritian Passport. I still have my
Belgian nationality.
So, am I a Mauritian national or a Mauritian citizen?

It should be fine. Sister got her Mauritian ID card last year and she is 27. My mother is Mauritian and my Father South African.

I know in South Africa that you must apply first for dual citizenship and if you don't you forfeit your South African citizenship once you apply at another country. Something like that.

Hi all

I know i know slight digression sorry.. but i think Shimotsuma may have a point there!!.. So what would be in the reverse scenario.. say of a child born in Mauritius of an English father and a Mauritian mother? Would he or she hold British nationality by the virtue of the father being English? Would the child then need to have application made for Citizenship?..hmm???

Sorry guys i've messed up big time didn't i?..i think i can answer my own question!..So here goes..'anyone born in Mauritius is a Mauritian national regardless of parental lineage thus will have automatic grant to Mauritian citizenship'. Period!

I was born in England, my son born in Mauritius and my (ex)wife born in Mauritius. My son has both Mauritian and British Passport. I too have both.

no correct, pls contact passport office in mauritius, they are very helpful

not correct, contact passport office

What is not correct?
Why don't you clarify our mistakes ? Are you a troll or an expert on citizenship ?

To Sutton

Please kindly share some info if have you been told differently at Passport office to what has already been outlined so far on this topic.

Cheers!

Digressing slightly, but almost on topic....my wife is UK born, but both her parents are Mauritian. She therefore has a Mauritian passport and I/D card, as well as her uk one. We both currently live in the UK but would like to live in Vacoas in the future. Am I entitled to live in Mauritius by virtue of my wife's status? I've read the Mauritian Government website but cannot make head or tail of it. Ta..Matt

Hi Matt. Four years ago we moved to Mru from London. I dont have Mauritius nationality, but my husband has Mru and British nationality, so for the first two years in Mru i just stayed here without any visa and every time I travelled I just produced my marriage certificate at the airport. So you can come to live here with your wife without applying for any visa. However, it is advisable to apply for permanent residence if you are intending to settle down in the Mru. It is a very strait forward process. I applied for my permanent residence after being in Mru for two years and received it in few months. You are entitled to apply for Mauritius citizenship after living in Mru for 4 years.It cost 15000 roupies and it takes about one and half years.I hope you find this information helpfull. We live in Vacoas:-)

matt4509 wrote:

Digressing slightly, but almost on topic....my wife is UK born, but both her parents are Mauritian. She therefore has a Mauritian passport and I/D card, as well as her uk one. We both currently live in the UK but would like to live in Vacoas in the future. Am I entitled to live in Mauritius by virtue of my wife's status? I've read the Mauritian Government website but cannot make head or tail of it. Ta..Matt

I think you are..

My father has obtained a residence permit for being married to a Mauritian national (my mother).
I do not think it matters if your wife was born outside of Mauritius, she holds the Mauritian nationality and therefor you should be able to apply for a residence permit for being the spouse of a Mauritian national.

My husband has dual British/Mauritian nationality and I'm British -  I applied for my Residence permit last year and it took around two months from beginning to end.
Well worth it.

That all sounds quite straightforward and simple. We're going to MRU ( Vacoas ) next month for 4 weeks, so we hope to get myself and our 2 daughters sorted out with Passports/ ID card etc...fingers crossed folks. Thanks for all your help and replies, and any further examples of people in a similar situation would be most welcome....Matt

Hi Matt
As you might need a much longer time than 2 weeks(IMHO)in getting all the passports and ID's sorted for you and your two daughters. Would'nt it be best to get the ball rolling by contacting Elvaston Place in regards to more info before you set off?
Just trying to help!

It took me one week to get my ID card and about a month for my passport..

My mother is a Mauritian citizen and my dad is from Ghana. I have lived in Ghana my whole life. I have a Ghanaian passport and national identity. I want to know how possible it is for me to get a Mauritian passport also since my mom has both a Mauritian passport and Ghanaian passport too. Thank you very much

I am also from Ghana with a Ghanaian passport and nationality but my mother is from m Mauritius. Does that mean I can also get a Mauritian passport??

Yes.

Thank you very much. Can you kindly tell me the documents I will need and how long it will take me??

How long are you in Mauritius for?

Do you need to come back to Belgium every 6 months-9 months so that you don't lose your European nationality?

I am looking to stay in Mauritius for few years in December 2019.

I have both dual nationality of British and Mauritian passport.

I've heard that I will lose my UK nationality if I stay in Mauritius for too long.

Is this the case?

No, you won't lose your British citizenship.  I have British, Mauritian and Canadian citizenships and I have been in Canada for over 10 years. I just renewed my British and Mauritian passports without any issues.  What you heard is very misleading!

Thank you!