Construction Noise Laws

Hi,
Two part question.

1.) Are there any laws in Istanbul that restrict construction noise? Example: 7:00 to 18:00. If so I am going to complain to my municipality if these laws are broken in my neighborhood.

2.) Are there any areas within central Istanbul that are not filled with construction sites?

I am going absolutely crazy! Thanks!

Hi

I am not sure about the construction site but as far as I was told as where I live there is a construction site and they r not allowed to be working loudly after 6:30 pm.

I was told so.

For second question u need to be close to centre but a bit outside of it then there r places like that. Such as where I live. Very green and not that loud no parking problem :)

Just some food for thought...

Over the years of my association with Expat-blog I've come to understand that expats are an extremely strange lot indeed. For the most part they expatriate for financial reasons, such as the opportunity of employment that may not exist at home, better paying jobs, better lifestyles by virtue of their home currency having greater value than the local currency, etc., than they do for personal or lifestyle reasons. Yet, strangely many of these very same individuals immediately start complaining about the things they don't like about their host country, or try turning it into a Xerox copy of what they left behind. Since there is no nation on earth where expats outnumber the local population the latter, of course, is completely impossible. They just can't seem to wrap their heads around that idea for some reason and continue thinking that things should change to their liking. The first rule of expatriation is to always remember that you are in THEIR country, and it is different. You need to accept the differences and understand that you can't change them.

Civil construction is probably one of the very strongest indicators of the economic health and growth of any country. Especially commercial building starts are not going to be very numerous in countries that don't have economic growth (or at least stability). Complaining about the noise of civil construction is a bit like complaining about the very prosperity that attracted you to the country in the first place, if your move was motivated by financial considerations. That noise in the evening that is annoying you, is above all THE SOUND OF PROGRESS AND GROWTH, without which you might not have even had that job opportunity in the country in the first place.

Always remember you are in THEIR country, not yours and their laws may be significantly different than those you're used to back home. Their laws are crafted for the local population, and for their benefit and that is what the democratic process is all about. Perhaps the restrictions on civil construction, and the related noise back in the USA, the EU and UK is one of many factors contributing to the lack of employment and job opportunities at home that send many people packing looking for jobs elsewhere... would you force that on another nation?

It reminds me of a wonderful billboard I saw in Oak Harbor, WA - USA near the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station....

"PARDON OUR NOISE - IT'S THE SOUND OF FREEDOM!!!"

Just saying!

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Subtle expression has never been James's strong point, but he's not a long way off the mark here.
A lot of expats go abroad for the cash (Including you), and construction usually means growth, so commonly more cash for more expats.

Consider this - The quicker that building goes up, the lower the costs for the company, the fatter the bonuses for the top lot - reasonably likely to includes expat advisers.

Perhaps you'd clarify - was the site there and/or the plans for the building in place before or after you took that house?

You moved in 11 months ago, how about the builders, and are they making a mess of your kitchen?

Congrat James!!!!
Well put!!! Fully agree!!

"If you don!t like the heat, go out of the kitchen"

Hi,

I am not in Turkey because of its economic growth. I work at a university and am funded by a European Union project. I thought I could just get some clarification about hours because the drilling that is going on is incredibly loud and I am paid to concentrate. I have an office but take a lot of work home. As someone who pays taxes here (my income comes from the EU but is earned in Turkey) and spends a lot of money in the economy, I have the right to complain. I am not alone as Turkish people complain about Istanbul being a giant construction site all the time.

When I moved to the neighborhood there was construction about a half km away. I just had the bad luck of waking up to demolitions one day. Now there are new buildings being constructed about 150 m away. Didn't think there was much demand for more new apartments since they can't keep new apartments filled in my neighborhood.

Oh well. You live you learn. I guess when it comes time to renew my lease I might consider another neighborhood.

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

While I really do sympathize with you in your situation, there are just some times in life that we have no other option than to accept the bad that almost always comes along with the good. This appears to be just one of those situations.

You're in Turkey in order to earn an income, the economic prosperity of the country is probably one of the main reasons the job you now have even exists, the noise is just the downside of that prosperity.

Commercial construction is going to happen anywhere near the city center, and new building sites can pop up anywhere as quick as mushrooms. About the only reasonably sure way to avoid the construction noise would be (if you don't mind a commute) move to the suburbs in a purely residential area once your rental contract expires. Until then it looks like you'll do well to invest in some industrial strength ear plugs and maybe even sleeping pills. Good luck to you!

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Kevin,

Simply put, I think regardless of any construction laws, there is a tendency in third world countries such as Turkey to break laws easily. And by the time you get anything done about it through legal proceedings, you have wasted ample amount of resources and time. Official proceedings can get really complex in Turkey, so you can imagine. Though you could speak with some qualified attorney regarding the issue.

You have already seen Istanbul I guess and know that its a huge city. There are many places where construction is going on, but there are many more which are quiet. I guess your option, looking for a new place after lease finishes is the most probable solution. You can also talk to your landlord if he has another accommodation available & can shift you there or alternatively, even let you go early if you find another residence.

Good luck. 

kev.geo wrote:

Hi,

I am not in Turkey because of its economic growth. I work at a university and am funded by a European Union project. I thought I could just get some clarification about hours because the drilling that is going on is incredibly loud and I am paid to concentrate. I have an office but take a lot of work home. As someone who pays taxes here (my income comes from the EU but is earned in Turkey) and spends a lot of money in the economy, I have the right to complain. I am not alone as Turkish people complain about Istanbul being a giant construction site all the time.

When I moved to the neighborhood there was construction about a half km away. I just had the bad luck of waking up to demolitions one day. Now there are new buildings being constructed about 150 m away. Didn't think there was much demand for more new apartments since they can't keep new apartments filled in my neighborhood.

Oh well. You live you learn. I guess when it comes time to renew my lease I might consider another neighborhood.

Kevin

I think you live in the same area I do !!! anyways I live in the Asian side and it has so much construction sites , came here one year and a half and till now I never knew a single day without this noise ...and am not complaining , but it really got to have a limited start and end hours ..not like they alarm you in ur free day at 7 and leave at around 8 pm ,its crazy !! and yes even Turkish people themselves complaining from that .. now there is a construction site in few feet away from my apartment .

when I first came here the man who looks after the apartment told us that any noise is not acceptable after 6 or 7 but now no one is saying anything when the construction beside the building is making all that noise till 8 pm !! the