A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

Thanks for this useful post. Cheers!

Update May1 2015

There have been more rules changes on May 1,  current holders of the old VEC have to use renewal form M5A now, instead of M5, the VEC replacement is the  TT Visa, (  12 months for spouses , etc )  Be careful, a friend was issued with a VR, when his VEC expired,  this is the same as a TT, but only for 6 months.( $50 ). You shouldn't have to leave VN to renew a Business Visa,( LD ),  the whole idea of a Business Visa is to work or own a business in VN, which automatically entitles you to a TRC, ( 2 yrs ),

Categories of Visa    Description / category of applicant entitled to    Duration of Visa    Duration of Temporary Resident Card
1    NG1-NG4    Diplomatic                                                              Up to 12 months                         Up to 5 years
2    LV1-LV2    Working with Vietnamese authorities/parties    Up to   12 months                    Up to 5 years
3    ĐT    Investors/foreign lawyers                                                   Up to 5 years                          Up to 5 years
4    DN    Working with Vietnamese enterprises                              Up to 12 months                     NA
5    NN1-NN2    Chief Representative Office, Head of Project Office of foreign NGO), Chief rep of rep offices in VN.                                                                                                     p                                                                                                         up to 12 months                 Up to 3 years
6    NN3    Staffs of NGO, Rep office in VN                                        Up to 12 months                    NA
7    DH    Students/ interns                                                       Up to 12 months                       Up to 5 years
8    HN    Attending meeting                                                                      Up to 3 months           NA
9    PV1    Journalists with permanent residence in VN                                    Up to 12 months    Up to 2 years
10    PV2    Journalists with short term residence in VN                                           Up to 12 months    NA
11    LĐ    Foreign workers                                                                            Up to 2 years        Up to 2 years
12    DL    Tourists                                                                                              Up to 3 months             NA
13    TT    Dependents of 2,3,5,7,9,11                                                                  Up to 12 months    Up to 3 years
14    VR    Visiting relatives, other purpose                                                        Up to 6 months                   NA
15    SQ    Related to MOF, Consulate with the purpose of market research, visiting relatives, tourist, medical treatment                                                                                                                                    Up to 30 days    NA

Don't know what's happening here, the Duration of Visa   and Duration of  TRC are in line until it's posted??????

2/ According to article 7, point 1 of the new law, the purpose of Visa may not be converted from one purpose to another. Our interpretation is that, for instance, someone entering Vietnam with a tourist visa (DL) may not be able to convert it to a work visa in country (LD)

This is something I would like to know more about?????

2. Foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ, TT visas shall be issued with temporary residence cards with the same symbols.”
Accordingly, foreigners issued TT visa (including: foreigners are parents, spouse, and children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens) are considering issuing Vietnam Temporary Residence Card. This article is expanded for foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens.

What will hapen if i exit Vietnam and try to enter by using my current VEC? Are you now saing that there are no longer any VEC?? As i just renew it 2 months a go

Wald0 wrote:

What will hapen if i exit Vietnam and try to enter by using my current VEC? Are you now saing that there are no longer any VEC?? As i just renew it 2 months a go

Do you mean you renewed it for another 90 days, 2 months ago? you will still have another month, then renew it as usual, but you will need a M5A form for the next 90 days, the fee is the same , 215,00 VND( that will mean you still have until the expiration date on your VEC, a friend of mine still has 2 years on his, he also renewed his in February, using the usual M5 form, but last week was made to go and change it to a M5A form, this previously was the form to CHANGE a visa, ( to TRC )  ), as far as I know they stopped issuing VEC after Jan 1., now you will get a VRC or TT Visa.
You shouldn't have any problem leaving/entering VN with your current VEC.

No, i got new VEC two months a go as i had to renew my passport, but I need now  renew my stamp or leave country in 30 days.

Wald0 wrote:

No, i got new VEC two months a go as i had to renew my passport, but I need now  renew my stamp or leave country in 30 days.

You were very lucky to get that VEC, ( must have been some confusion in that office???, how unusual ), in my province they are still able to be renewed without leaving VN, ( some members on have said different???? ), as I've said now they ask for Form 5A, which also says bring a photo, so my friend will take some with him today when he picks up his passport and pays the 210k.
  What is the expiry date of your VEC, ( not the 90 days extension date? )

Can't remember exact date as im not home now, but it was if i remember correct 16.6.2019

Wald0 wrote:

Can't remember exact date as im not home now, but it was if i remember correct 16.6.2019

Yes, you were very lucky, save heaps as well, now nearly 2 mil for 12 months for TT visa, over 41/2 yrs you'll save nearly 5 mil, ( less application fee ),  but unfortunately still have to do the 90 day BS.  This new TRC is worth looking into, I'm trying to find a VN with some spare time, LOL, who can ring Immigration and ask . ( probably have to do it 3 times, then compare the replies ).

bluenz wrote:
Wald0 wrote:

Do you mean you renewed it for another 90 days, 2 months ago? you will still have another month, then renew it as usual, but you will need a M5A form for the next 90 days, the fee is the same , 215,00 VND( that will mean you still have until the expiration date on your VEC, a friend of mine still has 2 years on his, he also renewed his in February, using the usual M5 form, but last week was made to go and change it to a M5A form, this previously was the form to CHANGE a visa, ( to TRC )  ), as far as I know they stopped issuing VEC after Jan 1., now you will get a VRC or TT Visa.
You shouldn't have any problem leaving/entering VN with your current VEC.

When my friend returned to Immigration last week to pick up his passport, he was then asked to produce a photocopy of his Marriage Certificate, so in all, he had 4 x 42 km round trips, typical lack of organisation and comprehension of the rules by VN officials.

When I extended my VEC in HCM in March this year they gave me a new form NA5 (not sure if M5A is the same?) and told me to use that one next time I want to extend. You should read the notes of it as you are now officially required to give a 4x6cm photo and documents proving the relationship with the sponsor.

This is the exact form they gave me (Just google "Mau NA5 Vietnam"):
xnc.congan.com.vn/vietkieu-nuocngoai/bieumau-vietkieu-xnc/thithuc.2015-01-08.0521057358/thithuclfile.2015-01-08.6252305265/view

Right now, I don't have a family sponsor living in Vietnam anymore so I don't think I can extend it with this form anymore as they are always pretty strict. I am thinking of doing a border run, is it possible to do that with a VEC? Last year, my uncle went to Phnom Penh and returned the same day but I don't know if anything has changed this year. Also do you need to enter and pay for a Cambodian visa or can you just exit Vietnam hang around the border for a while and get back in? Any recent experiences on this would be great.

When I extended my VEC in HCM in March this year they gave me a new form NA5 (not sure if M5A is the same?) and told me to use that one next time I want to extend. You should read the notes of it as you are now officially required to give a 4x6cm photo and documents proving the relationship with the sponsor.

This is the exact form they gave me (Just google "Mau NA5 Vietnam"):
  Yes, i thought I edited that M5A to N5A, ( no such thing as an M form ), if you are married to a VN , they will ask for your marriage Cert,  When my friend extended his VEC in late February , he was told nothing.  I told him about taking a pic, but they didn't ask for it, only for the Marriage Cert. ( when he went to pickup his passport ), obviously the usual lack of communication/comprehension among different offices and officers?
  You will need a Visa to enter another Asian country, ( unless you meet that countries non visa agreements, i.e, if you are VN, Thai, Filipino, etc, etc ).
   You may have to change your Visa status if you can't find another sponsor, you will most likely have to exit and re enter on a Tourist Visa,  ( they say Visa's can't be changed internally now, except TT to TRC, maybe you can change from VEC to DL, no one would have done that before ??? ), You can leave and re- enter on your VEC, but what is the point of doing that, you still have to renew the VEC when you get back???            Best thing to do is go to the Immigration office and ask, ( that will really confuse them ). Pls let us know of the outcome.

Just for everyone reading this in order to avoid confusion, the form is NA5 not N5A. In late February the old form (N5) was still accepted but I think they were transitioning to this one so the new rules were not very clear.

My VEC is valid until 2018 but each time you get a stamp it is valid for 90 days right. So my stamp needs to be renewed not my VEC. Normally you can do that without leaving Vietnam using the NA5 form+sponsor. But I don't have a family member living in Vietnam right now, so I take it I can just go to Cambodia for one night and return the next day without any problems using my VEC and I will have a new stamp valid for 90 days.

I am just a bit unclear on all the new visa rules changes I have been reading about. So the rules when you already have a VEC is still exactly the same right, it is not that the VEC is suddenly cancelled even though mine is still valid till 2018. Or that the rules on getting a new stamp has been changed too.

quankiquanki wrote:

Just for everyone reading this in order to avoid confusion, the form is NA5 not N5A. In late February the old form (N5) was still accepted but I think they were transitioning to this one so the new rules were not very clear.

My VEC is valid until 2018 but each time you get a stamp it is valid for 90 days right. So my stamp needs to be renewed not my VEC. Normally you can do that without leaving Vietnam using the NA5 form+sponsor. But I don't have a family member living in Vietnam right now, so I take it I can just go to Cambodia for one night and return the next day without any problems using my VEC and I will have a new stamp valid for 90 days.

I am just a bit unclear on all the new visa rules changes I have been reading about. So the rules when you already have a VEC is still exactly the same right, it is not that the VEC is suddenly cancelled even though mine is still valid till 2018. Or that the rules on getting a new stamp has been changed too.

You EXTEND a VEC, ( get a new stamp for another 90 days ), you're right these rules have changed.Before you didn't need a photo or proof of sponsorship, but this is probably a one off thing .
If the VEC has EXPIRED, ( in your case 2018 ),  you used to be able to renew it, but now they will give you a VR ( 6 mths )  or TT ( 12 moths ) Visa, with the same conditions as the old VEC. ( but no 90 day reporting anymore ).

I doubt very much a Border guard could extend your VEC, you will still need the necessary documents???, probably  has to be done in an Immigration office. But if you can get away with , good luck then, it's something that I doubt anyone has done before, ( or needed to do  ), as I said , you're best to ask someone in Immigration, maybe you can??, but I'd be asking 3 different officers and see if I got the same answer. You may not even need to leave the country, ( if they make you change it to a DL Visa ).

Guys I don't know, thought I had a good handle on the VEC stuff after having one for almost 7 years now without leaving the country. Now things are starting to get a little confusing. Back in 01/15 when we extended our 3 month stamp the official gave us the N5 form and "suggested" that we use it next time. In the past we've had been using a older version of a form for the 3 month extension (and it didn't even have a form number on it) with no problem for the past years and years. Anyway when we went back again in April to get a new stamp the same official gave us the N5 form again, only this time she didn't suggest it, she said it was required for our next extension in July. I can only guess that different Immergration offices in the Provence's can basically set there own requirements.

Budman1 wrote:

Guys I don't know, thought I had a good handle on the VEC stuff after having one for almost 7 years now without leaving the country. Now things are starting to get a little confusing. Back in 01/15 when we extended our 3 month stamp the official gave us the N5 form and "suggested" that we use it next time. In the past we've had been using a older version of a form for the 3 month extension (and it didn't even have a form number on it) with no problem for the past years and years. Anyway when we went back again in April to get a new stamp the same official gave us the N5 form again, only this time she didn't suggest it, she said it was required for our next extension in July. I can only guess that different Immergration offices in the Provence's can basically set there own requirements.

I think the changes were brought in on Jan 1, but were not effective until May 1, I remember seeing a document about May 1, and that is why my friend had all this new BS last week. But the producing of the Marriage Cert ,will probably only be a one off, probably the same with the pic, ( which they didn't ask my friend for, but small city, they probably know him by sight? ). But definitely an N5A form now, ( this form is also used to change Visa's ). But wouldn't  be surprised if they go back to an N5 next time???? I can also remember it changing a couple of years ago to the N5.

If the office you went to told you to use the N5 then I would say just follow their advice. The office I usually go to in HCM is on Nguyen Du Street. I always had to use the N5 form for extension and late February when I went there they gave me the NA5 and told me to use this one next time. N5 and NA5 are practically the same forms, NA5 only has some additional notes on what to bring with you.

If your office told you to use the N5 then just keep using that, maybe you want to take a photo + any proof of relationship with the sponsor (marriage certificate) with you just in case if the trip is too far. Last year N5 did not require a photo but late February at Nguyen Du they wanted one from me even though this requirement was not written on the form.

I will be getting a new stamp by going to Cambodia this weekend. All the visa law changes does not seem to affect people who still have a valid VEC in their passport. Bus company told me as long as I have a valid VEC I can just get out and in to get a new stamp, they come across these people all the time. I will confirm this after this weekend.

quankiquanki wrote:

If the office you went to told you to use the N5 then I would say just follow their advice. The office I usually go to in HCM is on Nguyen Du Street. I always had to use the N5 form for extension and late February when I went there they gave me the NA5 and told me to use this one next time. N5 and NA5 are practically the same forms, NA5 only has some additional notes on what to bring with you.

If your office told you to use the N5 then just keep using that, maybe you want to take a photo + any proof of relationship with the sponsor (marriage certificate) with you just in case if the trip is too far. Last year N5 did not require a photo but late February at Nguyen Du they wanted one from me even though this requirement was not written on the form.

I will be getting a new stamp by going to Cambodia this weekend. All the visa law changes does not seem to affect people who still have a valid VEC in their passport. Bus company told me as long as I have a valid VEC I can just get out and in to get a new stamp, they come across these people all the time. I will confirm this after this weekend.

Yes that's what we plan on doing, just use the N5 form. We've been going to the same Immergration office for years (way down here in the Delta) and never have gotten any bad advice from them in all this time. Were in a small town and everybody knows us. I've posted about them before, great in and out service with only a few hours processing time to get the stamp in our passport. I say we because my wife and I both have VEC's.

quankiquanki wrote:

As long as your VEC Stamp and expiry dates are current, no problem leaving/re entering, ( because it's a multiple entry Visa ),  but what you are talking about is a whole different scenerio, the stamp you get at the border won't be an extension for a VEC , it will be just be a stamp to show what day you left/entered VN, I'm afraid you may be having a wasted trip if you think you are going to get a 90 day extension on your VEC, but that's just my opinion, I hope you prove me wrong, you are the one taking the risk, so good luck, hope it works for you.

Thinking about this. If you come into TSN with a VEC they automatically stamp your PP with a 3 month stray on entire. I would think they would do the same thing at a  inland border crossing that now has authorized Immergration official's . The problem, which has been discussed before.
is can you just jump off the bus get your PP stamped and catch the next bus heading back to Saigon without going into Cambodia,

Budman1 wrote:

Thinking about this. If you come into TSN with a VEC they automatically stamp your PP with a 3 month stray on entire. I would think they would do the same thing at a  inland border crossing that now has authorized Immergration official's . The problem, which has been discussed before.
is can you just jump off the bus get your PP stamped and catch the next bus heading back to Saigon without going into Cambodia,

That's good to know, first time I've heard of getting an extension on arrival, I thought it would have been like a Multi, and wouldn't affect the previous extension date. I'd still be very wary of it though, now the rules have changed, but how much do they know at the border??? could be a good thing, or could be a real pain in the arse??? worst case scenario would be a couple of days in Cambodia, ( not having a Cambodia Visa could be a problem though ),  and a DL visa to come back. ( sorry to look at from a negative perspective , but I've been living here long enough to always expect the worst when dealing with any Govt officials, and I'm usually right, unfortunately ).

Budman1 wrote:

Yes, you always get a 3 month stamp when using a VEC to go into Vietnam. I went to Cambodia before for only two days and when I got back into Vietnam through Moc Bai they gave me a new 3 month stamp. Same for my uncle who went and came back the same day and also had a new stamp for three months. Yes, I am also wondering if you actually need to enter Cambodia (and pay for a Cambodian visa) at all. I haven't seen any written reports on just getting the vietnamese exit stamp, hang around outside a bit and then entering Vietnam again through the customs.

quankiquanki wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Yes, you always get a 3 month stamp when using a VEC to go into Vietnam. I went to Cambodia before for only two days and when I got back into Vietnam through Moc Bai they gave me a new 3 month stamp. Same for my uncle who went and came back the same day and also had a new stamp for three months. Yes, I am also wondering if you actually need to enter Cambodia (and pay for a Cambodian visa) at all. I haven't seen any written reports on just getting the vietnamese exit stamp, hang around outside a bit and then entering Vietnam again through the customs.

If you had of mentioned that at the start it would have saved a lot of confusion, I've never left VN in 5 yrs, so assumed as it is a Multi Visa they would only put an exit/entry date on it.  Still, I'm amazed they even did that, hope it is the same for you this time. I'd still be getting a Cambodian Visa just to cover my arse though. Have  good trip.

Budman1 wrote:

can you just jump off the bus get your PP stamped and catch the next bus heading back to Saigon without going into Cambodia,

YES, however you need to walk across the border ...

I've done that, 10 min in Cambodia and back again. No problem on the VN side, the Cambodians just wanted to know why I don't want to stay in their beautiful country and spend some cash there. I just said, I forgot my credit card and will come back later...

No problems and it is perfectly legal. At first I was not sure if the VN dudes may say something like you can only come back a day later, but it is no problem. As I said, 10 min in Cambodia and back again.

snake77 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

can you just jump off the bus get your PP stamped and catch the next bus heading back to Saigon without going into Cambodia,

YES, however you need to walk across the border ...

I've done that, 10 min in Cambodia and back again. No problem on the VN side, the Cambodians just wanted to know why I don't want to stay in their beautiful country and spend some cash there. I just said, I forgot my credit card and will come back later...

No problems and it is perfectly legal. At first I was not sure if the VN dudes may say something like you can only come back a day later, but it is no problem. As I said, 10 min in Cambodia and back again.

Nice, when was the last time you did that? I see you can just take bus 703 from HCM to Moc Bai, don't need a tour bus at all. Alright, so getting a Cambodian visa and going into Cambodia is required.

I did that about an year ago (I have VEC). However, I have a friend who's on a 3 month multiple and he did the same just a few weeks ago. He got a bus ticket from an agent in Pham Ngu Lao which also handled the visa. Not sure how much he paid but you can check with those agents along PNL & Bui Vien.

Hi you all, please advice me in this case: " I m a French Viet Kieu, my grand father was living in Vietnam until 18 years old and was born in Laos. I have my so thu phap, french criminal record translated , certification of vietnamese language and a bunch of others papers.....I would like to get a vietnam passport. I understood that with the new laws it will be possible for the viet kieu to get a vietnam passport. I used to have a viet kieu visa exemption (VEC) for 5 years as well"
Can anyone help me on that and help him to get a Vietnam passport?

:) Thank you!

I've done the re-newel with my VEC  from the Cambodian border and did it once without actually getting the Cambodian Visa. I exited and then immediately re-entered without spending a dime on the Cambodia Visa and taking up another page in my passport. I did this because I saw a group of other SEA people do it. I figured if anything the worst that would happen is that they would say i need a Cambodian Exit Visa.

I'm American, married to a Viet Kieu, and we would like to get the 5 year VEC to save us from visa fees every time we visit.

However, we're in a same sex marriage.

I know Vietnam doesn't recognize same sex marriages, so I'm wondering if I'd be eligible for the visa.

As a side note, our marriage certificate only identifies us as "spouse 1" and "spouse 2," and doesn't mention gender at all.

My idea was to submit our applications separately, with only our marriage certificate as proof for me.

Does anyone have experience with his type of application?

Thank you.

SDGuy1980 wrote:

I'm American, married to a Viet Kieu, and we would like to get the 5 year VEC to save us from visa fees every time we visit.

I know Vietnam doesn't recognize same sex marriages, so I'm wondering if I'd be eligible for the visa.

As a side note, our marriage certificate only identifies us as "spouse 1" and "spouse 2," and doesn't mention gender at all.

My idea was to submit our applications separately, with only our marriage certificate as proof for me.

Thank you.

Your VK partner can apply for VN citizenship, or a TT Visa, ( 12 months ), if you're only visiting occasionally, VEC's were discontinued from May 01, 2105.  Not sure how you will get on with the same sex thing, you have to prove you're married, wedding certificates translated and notarized, they also like to see photo's of the wedding. You maybe opening a whole can of worms better left unopened, ( hassles for you  ).

Thank you so much for your quick and kind answer.

You're right about the can of worms...

I thought I had read that the VEC program had ended, but today when I went to a travel agency in Little Saigon (Orange County, California) they told me that they could process the application for my VK husband, and even looked at the website of the consulate in San Francisco to show what papers are needed (it still shows it here: http://www.vietnamconsulate-sf.org/thu- … huc-5-nam/)  Is this a case where it varies from embassy to embassy?

bluenz wrote:
SDGuy1980 wrote:

Thank you.

Your VK partner can apply for VN citizenship, or a TT Visa, ( 12 months ), if you're only visiting occasionally, VEC's were discontinued from May 01, 2105.  Not sure how you will get on with the same sex thing, you have to prove you're married, wedding certificates translated and notarized, they also like to see photo's of the wedding. You maybe opening a whole can of worms better left unopened, ( hassles for you  ).

Thank you so much for your quick and kind answer.

You're right about the can of worms...

I thought I had read that the VEC program had ended, but today when I went to a travel agency in Little Saigon (Orange County, California) they told me that they could process the application for my VK husband, and even looked at the website of the consulate in San Francisco to show what papers are needed (it still shows it here: [link under review]  Is this a case where it varies from embassy to embassy?

There was the usual confusion here as well, they changed the rules on Jan 01, 2015, but they weren't enforced until May 01, 2015, some people were still getting VEC's up until May 01. I think the Embassy in SF is behind the times, like here, no one knew until May 01 that we also need a new application form, ( NA5 ),  when doing the 90 day extension application, ( which would have been a problem for you if you weren't in VN at the time it needed extending, but with the TT Visa, there s no need for the 90 day extension, ( as far as we know ), it also entitles the holder to a 3 year TRC ).

12 month TT Visa changing to a 3 yr TRC.
No one knows yet if it i possible if you are on a current VEC, if you can apply directly for the TRC, or have to apply for the TT visa first????

Accordingly, foreigners issued TT visa (including: foreigners are parents, spouse, and children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, UNIVERSITY, PV1, LĐ visas, or foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens) are considering issuing Vietnam Temporary Residence Card. This article is EXPANDED for foreigners that are parents, spouse, and children of Vietnamese citizens.
. The duration of a NN1, NN2, TT temporary residence card shall not exceed 03 years

This " are considering issuing "  part has me concerned.
I copied and pasted this from a 2013 --14 Govt website, but this " are considering issuing Vietnam Temporary Residence Card ", could be a worry??????  It would be nice to find out for sure, which will probably only be able to be done by someone in HCMC or Hanoi? ( and by asking 3 different officers at 3 different offices? ).

yes, just read all that. frankly it is as big a mystery as ever. visa. nightmare

aw09 wrote:

yes, just read all that. frankly it is as big a mystery as ever. visa. nightmare

And to add to the mystery, apparently they ARE still issuing VEC's, ( even from the VN Embassy/consulate in Sydney in Jul ), but try and find any info on a VEC on a VN Govt website????? 
I've just come from the Immigration office in my city , I asked for a 12 month TT Visa application form, ( I had it written down ),  also asked what the fee was, she was talking to someone on the phone getting the info on the TT form, but still couldn't tell me how much, it was raining when I left their office, and now I'm home, I just looked at the form and it's an NA5 form, the same one we now use for the 90 day VEC extension, looks like another trip and a different officer next time????? I think I need more than the one form, i.e, to change from a VEC to a TRC, ( because of a Work Permit ), you need at least 3 application/change request forms.

If I am married to a VNese citizen, how do I go from the 5-year VEC to getting Vietnamese citizenship? Has anyone else done that?

Comrade_Nomad wrote:

If I am married to a VNese citizen, how do I go from the 5-year VEC to getting Vietnamese citizenship? Has anyone else done that?

http://moj.gov.vn/vbpq/en/Lists/Vn%20bn … emID=10451

Wald0 wrote:
Comrade_Nomad wrote:

Hello, thanks for the link. I have seen the law before, but is there anyone on the forum who has actually done this? Or someone who is in the process of getting Vietnamese citizenship?

Thanks!

Just a hypothetical question but if a Viet Kieu has no living relatives in Vietnam, can he or she get a VEC and if so how do they fill out the N5 or whatever has replaced it?  Can they be their own sponsor?

Comrade_Nomad wrote:
Wald0 wrote:
Comrade_Nomad wrote:

Hello, thanks for the link. I have seen the law before, but is there anyone on the forum who has actually done this? Or someone who is in the process of getting Vietnamese citizenship?

Thanks!

You need to get PR first, I wasted 3 years applying for this, now its " up to Hanoi ", lol, don't waste your time or money, it will not happen, ( the only Foreigner I've ever heard of receiving VN citizenship had been dead a long time before he received it. ).

If the VK still has his/hers VN birth certificate, he/she can apply for VN citizenship restoration.