Jakarta life

Hey buddies what u know about jakarta life style and nice place 2 visit and nightlife ? I need your help also in hotels ?

Sorry,

I dont have time to be more specific so here are some very good sites to explore about Jakarta

jakarta100bars.com/2015/03/jakarta-nightlife-in-2015.html

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294229-Activities-Jakarta_Java.html

lonelyplanet.com/indonesia/jakarta/sights://allindonesiatravel.com/things-to-do-and-must-see-jakarta/

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294229-Jakarta_Java-Hotels.html

agoda.com/city/jakarta-id.html

This area is full of bars, and everything that goes with them.
I avoid it like the plague, but a lot of people like it.

https://www.google.co.id/maps/@-6.23083 … 442,13.25z

The Big Durian is for me the worst capital city in all of SEA with no redeeming features I can think of.

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:

The Big Durian is for me the worst capital city in all of SEA with no redeeming features I can think of.

Have you been?
Loads of great interest in Jakarta, if you bother looking.

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:

It doesn't matter whether it is the worst capitol city in SEA because those that live here adapt to what it has to offer, and if we need to see something nice we can visit other parts of this wonderful country that we call home. If someone wants to come here and enjoy the nightlife then Jakarta probably has lots of bars and clubs. But perhaps Bangkok might be a better place for that.

Jakarta has some great bars and clubs and in my opinion better than the ones I experienced in Bangkok and Singapore. There is a huge night scene in the city (if you know where to go) and lots of places to visit after dark.
It is however hard work getting round it and somedays being here but after Bangkok and KL its not that much different really. Bad air, lots of people, lots of street food and traffic just no MRT or integrated public transport. Out of the 3, I would choose here (for my livers sake I think more than anything else)

I've been to Bangkok, KL and Jakarta.
All have their charms and disgusting bits, but the fact I didn't think much of Bangkok is a personal opinion.
KL is all sorts of fun, but Jakarta has a soul that the other two lack.

My vote for most interesting city goes to Jakarta.
I live here, and I love Indonesia.

Have I been? Once or twice.

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:

Have I been? Once or twice.

I know a lot of people who've been to Bali, and a load that don't have the first clue about the island, seeing the whole place as a bar with a beach.

Presently in Danau Maninjau, have overlanded Medan - Timor three times. Sulawesi, Maluku, Banda Islands, Kei Islands several times, owned three businesses, lived with Sasaks., Bataks...oh, Jakarata. Yes, I know Jakarta, that's where jalan Jaksa and Blok M is, isn't it? *eye roll*

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:

Presently in Danau Maninjau, have overlanded Medan - Timor three times. Sulawesi, Maluku, Banda Islands, Kei Islands several times, owned three businesses, lived with Sasaks., Bataks...oh, Jakarata. Yes, I know Jakarta, that's where jalan Jaksa and Blok M is, isn't it? *eye roll*

It does seem that you know Indonesia, even more than I know it. I agree that Jakarta is messy and scattered all over the place and not so attractive compare to other Asian cities. It has awful train stations, poor transportation, horrible traffic jams and lots of ugly parts of the city. But for those who live here we get used to it and we try to see the good things here. We have chosen this city to be our home and understandably we don't like it when people come here and say bad things about it, whether it is true or not.

But in honesty, I will agree with what you say about Jakarta. But that is just me being honest about my personal opinion. And I still love this city, it does have soul.

All that travelling, but your eyes never unrolled.
Jakarta is a massively interesting city, full of wonders for the eyes of those who are willing to look.

I couldn't get into Bangkok, but I can easily see how some would like it (I may have been tainted by a visit to that prostitute, ladyboy and pestering tuk tuk driver infested dump known as Phuket)

I rather enjoyed my many trips to KL.

I love Jakarta, making a point of wandering its streets, finding something new on every jaunt.
"no redeeming features I can think of" can only mean you aren't thinking, or you didn't look for any.

Still, horses for courses.

3laawoo wrote:

Hey buddies what u know about jakarta life style and nice place 2 visit and nightlife ? I need your help also in hotels ?

There are so many nice hotels in Jakarta. Some of the Harris Hotels are nice, such as the one at Kelapa Gading and the one at Tebet. I think you can get quite a good price from Agoda

Hi Guys! I would not describe Phuket is a dump. I think it is one of the worlds top holiday destinations, same as Bali. Bali also has bad things and all cities have good and bad things. Even Venezuela everyone thinks is bad but there are good things too. Anyway Phuket is not a dump and I like it same as I like Bali. The people are nice and friendly service and good hotels and so much beauty to see in that place. Why must compare Phuket and Bangkok to Jakarta?

VenzeGirl wrote:

Hi Guys! I would not describe Phuket is a dump.

Perhaps I was harsh ... but it sort of depends on your definition of a dump.
I have this 'thing' about prostitution, ladyboys, drunks, drugs and all the other stuff you get in Phuket, so I think it's a dump.

I really dislike all that stuff, so I thought the place was a dump.
As far as cleanliness goes, the place was rubbish free and tidy, but I couldn't stand being unable to walk around with a prostitute trying to get me to bed.
I did find a few excellent restaurants, but only one bar where I wasn't offered something disgusting.

I did have one slightly odd experience that told me a lot.
After a few nights in the hotel, a really nice hotel it was too, two of the staff plucked up the courage to ask me why I didn't get drunk and take pros back to my room.
They were so used to seeing it, they thought all Europeans were the same.

That scene isn't for me, so I decided I would never go there again.
Hence, for me, it's a dump.

Jakarta, a place with a serious rubbish problem, has far less of all the things I really dislike, so I would far rather live here than I would in one of the great holiday destinations.
Not that Jakarta is free from drunks, drugs, pros and sex slavery, but it isn't overt and it's really easy to avoid.

I've also visited the far south of Thailand, a place that is an absolute must for everyone's bucket list.
The place is fantastic.

I'd suggest most people live in Jakarta because of employment/making money reasons, family connections, or they were simply born there. Choosing to live in Jakarta or move there over the multitude of beautiful, clean, culturally interesting, ecologically diverse, artistically stimulating, well planned, non-flooding, with welcoming gracious populace and relaxed environments throughout Indonesia is certainly an individual's choice. Ask the majority, however, and I think you'll find it only situation and circumstance that forces or keeps them there, and given the option, they'd live elsewhere.

Of course people are going to be parochial about where they live, it validates their choice or decision to be there. And if people prefer living in Jakarta over other places, great! But the city is continuously rated as one of the worst cities in the world to live.

There are endless surveys that rate Jakarta as one of the worst cities to live.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life … ies-861160http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/ … p-our-list

Of course people are going to be parochial about where they live, it validates their choice or decision to be there.

I don't live in Jakarta, I choose to go there whenever possible.

Edit - I avoid the bar areas because they have everything I dislike about other places.
Been there, seen it, hate it, avoid it.

The rest of the city is a dream, making be want to take up anthropology as a hobby.

I do live in Jakarta and agree with KFH opinions but its my choice so I get on with it and enjoy it. Coming from a small town in the middle of the English countryside, I do miss the silence and not the lack of things to do hence why I prefer Jakarta. I do miss the silence but sometimes when the bikes aren't roaring there is peace and its great.
when the time is right I will move the family out of the city to somewhere less. But thats not today or sometime soon.

As for Phuket, been there, done it. Compare it to Bali. Yes. Both have there beauty but offer different things. Bali mainly shuts after 10 at night which helps keep it less a party island where as Thailand's islands and coastal towns keep on going. If I had to choose then I would choose neither as there are better places in both countries. I prefer the north of Thailand, Chang Mai and Chang Rai than the south and there are so many other places in Indonesia other than Bali that are just as exotic beautiful and worth exploring but I have had great times on Bali and my kids have enjoyed it there too so I will no doubt keep going back.

I think Kemang is the best location for you, if you want to search nice places for nightlife. it's located in south jakarta, and it's best for foreigner to have nightlife

paridajohanna wrote:

I think Kemang is the best location for you, if you want to search nice places for nightlife. it's located in south jakarta, and it's best for foreigner to have nightlife

Probably right.

you can go to kemang in south jakarta or SCBD in central jakarta, there's a lot nightlife place i think

Hi - not sure if you have read The Jakartan but it gives some useful insights into the city:

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting external links on EB
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct