Drying clothes in Mexico

Does anyone use an electric clothes dryer?if so could you tell me of the running cost.The rainy season will start here soon during which time most everyone uses the lavandería to dry clothes.if the running cost is not to steep I would consider buying my own dryer.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

Does anyone use an electric clothes dryer?if so could you tell me of the running cost.The rainy season will start here soon during which time most everyone uses the lavandería to dry clothes.if the running cost is not to steep I would consider buying my own dryer.

For what it's worth, I spend less than 200 pesos a month taking my laundry to the lavandaria 4 blocks away.  I get it back same day washed, dried and neatly folded.  Hard to believe I could own a dryer for less, price plus electricity.

I have a stacked gas washer/dryer, and although I only use the dryer when it's raining, it doesn't cost much. I have a big rooftop gas tank and use gas for cooking and the dryer, altogether about 1500 pesos a year.

Thanks Goodgrief,thats about what I spend at the lavandaria Also.The dryer would be moré for my mother in law than for myself.

Thanks Babs,i was looking at a gas powered dryer in Sears,first time I had seen one.They use gas ahead of electricity when ever possible it seems.

Gas is cheaper than electricity, especially in large amounts. I friend of mine had an electric dryer he brought from the US, but it was 220VAC. No one would buy it since most homes only are wired for 127VAC. I guess that CEF could drop another phase.

You have to be careful with lavanderías esp. those that you leave your clothes & return for them later in the day.
I took several loads of clothes to a lavandería here in Punta Banda since I don't have a washer/dryer and if was quite expensive to boot.  What made it worse was that my clothes were always damp when returned.  Then I heard from other people who had used this same lavandería discovered that they use the rinse water from the previous load to wash the next load of clothes.  Ugh!  So I had a very large plastic storage container and now it is in my shower  stall & I wash ALL of my clothes including sheets in it.  I use "Persil" detergent which is low suds & doesn't require a lot of agitation & my clothes are always clean.  I put up a makeshit laundry clothesline in my backyard and now dry all of my clothes on it.
Dryers consume a lot of electricity so it will really increase your CFE bill; that's why you don't see a lot of Mexicans who have dryers; they are simply too expensive to run.

In this part of Mx from sept-march we have no choice but to use dryers as it is los tiempos de la lluvias,pretty much rains every day with sandstorms also.Using the rinse water i can believe.My suegra has a washing machine,a very modern one,but no water hook up.She dumps 5 gallón búckets of water into it,collects the rinse water in same buckets and washes the concrete patio with it.Whats with them washing concrete every day?I washed My driveway in the states maybe once every couple of years.

It's one thing to use rinse water for other purposes such as watering plants, flushing the toilet, etc. but I don't want anyone's rinse water from a previous load washing my clothes.  That is just nasty esp. if I am paying for it.   Here in Baja due to the extreme draught in the entire state most recycle water.  I use all my clothes washing water to flush the toilet as I have to pay for water to be trucked in so I'm more conscientious water simply going down the drain.

You might not be aware of this, but when they wash your clothes, they wash others in the same load.

Yes thats exactly right Jo,I have often come home with some other persons socks etc

I asked at the lavandaria this morning and they do use the same water for multiple loads.Has anyone used a dry cleaners here?.I have no idea what they do with your clothes when you drop them off,but the standard of workmanship is a disgrace.I have had shirts come back with rust and ink stains.I always have to iron them again when i get home.But thats one of the first things I noticed here,Mexicans care very little for details.

Gas dryers are more common and less expensive but they use both gas and electric.  You also need a gas line to your dryer and that could be expensive to run. Copper embedded in the walls or floor

A very good reason why I wash my own clothes.  Who knows what is lingering on your clothes at the lavanderia.  Plus I can guarantee they don't use Persil detergent; they probably use some crappy detergent.

I have managed with clothing washed in a laundry mat and also washed my own Mexican may tag  style.  You just need a secure place to hang clothing so not stolen.