Employment Pass Rejected

Hi beppi,
Thanks for the quick response! I thought you need to cancel your current pass first before applying for a new one?

You can only have one EP at a time, and one EP application (in addition to that). So your current pass can remain valid during the application process for a new one (only when the new IPA is converted to an EP, must the old one be cancelled).

I see. Thanks so much!  :top::proud

beppi wrote:

S$3500/month for a degree holder with 19 years experience is far too low. Furthermore, you need to have 3 years experience applicable to the job in Singapore. If you want to appeal (although I think your chances are low without a substantial pay rise and change in job scope), your employer should ficus on why these are not needed in your case - and why they cannot hire a local for the job.

I dont recall saying anything about 19 years experience, lol. My >10 years refers to the company which has been around for more than 10 years.

Well as of now, my employer decided to not go forward with the appeal, which's truly disheartening for me, this first interview happened in early April and until now - gotta start all over again.  Not fun at all.

Anyway, I'm worried whether if this rejection will affect my FUTURE application (assuming different job, different company).  I'm a fresh grad, wouldn't mind working elsewhere before retrying job hunting in future.

Well, I interpreted the ">10years" in your message wrongly - and then did a mistyping, so it became 19 years ... sorry!
As a fresh graduate, the salary is appropriate, but you won't get an EP (unless you have some very specific niche skills that are not available in Singapore at all - your message does not indicate such).I recommend you get around 3 years good working experience elsewhere first and then try again to find a job in Singapore!

beppi wrote:

Well, I interpreted the ">10years" in your message wrongly - and then did a mistyping, so it became 19 years ... sorry!
As a fresh graduate, the salary is appropriate, but you won't get an EP (unless you have some very specific niche skills that are not available in Singapore at all - your message does not indicate such).I recommend you get around 3 years good working experience elsewhere first and then try again to find a job in Singapore!

very specific niche skills that are not available in Singapore at all  -> Could you elaborate on that? Idk what you're referring to but I'm a food science graduate, my final year was working full time in a lab doing food microbiology related work.

I'm thinking of making full use of the next few years to prepare and buff up my profile before turning in another application in Singapore.  Could there be any agency/department/website in Singapore that administers certification for working professionals? I mean, I dont wish to end up having just the same degree I have two years later.

Biotech is big in Singapore (but unfortunately not my area of expertise, so I cannot help you further).
Do some research on what the companies there do, what skills they need (or will need in a few years) and what the local applicant pool supplies (i.e. which university courses or similar are available). You may find a niche that is under-served and then get skilled in that field.
Good luck!

miloboy92 wrote:

Could there be any agency/department/website in Singapore that administers certification for working professionals?

I do not understand what you mean here. MoM decides on recognition of foreign degrees and certificates, work experience is assessed by potential employers.

beppi wrote:

I do not understand what you mean here. MoM decides on recognition of foreign degrees and certificates, work experience is assessed by potential employers.

So now I have a degree, but I can't just stop there, excluding the master or PhD level studies in a campus setting, are there any external agencies or workforce development scheme that I can utilize to upgrade myself in near future.

There are many courses and certifications available, some more useful than others. I think you can use Google or ask your colleagues/HR to find them.

Dear Beppi,

I am currently applying for employment in Singapore with the following background:

Education: Singapore Management University (Bachelor, Finance Major)
Work Experience: >3, <4 years (most recent experience not entirely relevant to the job I'm applying EP for, as I changed industry)
Company Package: 1/2 year contract, SGD 3.8k, major international bank
Nationality: Indonesian
Race: Chinese

Currently waiting for vetting agency input. I am currently a bit pessimistic about my chances. Knowing that you are very knowledgeable on this matter, can you provide me with some input regarding my chances?

It depends on your company's justification why they need to hire a foreigner - especially for such a short-term position (just 6 months).

Dear Beppi,

That is a very fast reply. Thanks! :)

This position is to function in a project that requires two things: 1. Project Management & Analytical Skills (my transferrable skill), and 2. knowledge on corporate banking processes (from my academics).

The positive of the application:
- The position is on renewable contract / with conversion possibility
- This bank does hire a lot of contractors (both local and foreign) for different kinds of positions.
- They have passed 14 days Jobs Bank without finding suitable candidate for the role

The negative:
- This is closer to an entry level position
- Quite recently I had my s-pass application rejected for my old company, with stated reason "this individual is not eligible for any work pass in Singapore". My assumption is due to my qualification + experience didn't match the salary I was drawing (too low).

Honestly, I will be very disappointed if this doesn't work out, because I will have to uproot from a country which I've been residing in for 9 years.

bleppey wrote:

"this individual is not eligible for any work pass in Singapore"

I don't ant to disappoint you, but it it was really written this strongly ("not eligible for ANY work pass"), they must have good reasons, which just a change of employer or industry will not alleviate. You better contact MoM first (or ask your previous employer to, or the new employer after rejection) to find out what causes this ban from ever working in Singapore again.
The company, though, seems to have done everything right during the selection and application process.

Dear Beppi,

I understand. I'm currently already preparing to leave the country. Basically I have approached MoM via HR numerous times, without them willing to reveal anything. This current EP application also serves as a testing ground on my assumption/suspicion that salary+job scope plays a major part.

One last question though: as my application status is currently: Waiting for input from Vetting Agencies (ETA 2 months), do you have any experience/advice for ways to expedite it?

Basically the company that offers me the job mentioned they are able to wait for 2-3 weeks, as they need manpower quite urgently. If they're gonna reject it in the end, I'd rather not be kept hanging for that long.

Thanks again!

There is no way to expedite the vetting process (or predict its results), but you (or rather, your employer) can cancel the application at any time.

Edited to add: If your actual question was "Does it really take the indicated 2 months?" - that depends very much on how and when the contacted agencies (e.g. in your home country) react. It can be quicker if you're lucky.

Dear Beppi,

Understood. Fortunately all the agencies (education / workplace) that I have attended are located in Singapore, barring my 1st workplace which closed doors in 2011.

Thanks for answering my questions through these exchanges. Hopefully on other days I can help you in kind :)

Wish me luck and take care yourself!

hello guys.

I got an offer from a public health institution, professional rank, $4550 monthly fixed salary. However they said MOM only approve me S pass, not EP pass. I hv two master degree and BSS degree and 6 yrs of related experience.

Should I go for an appeal?

Newcomer330: you indicated in your PM to me that your salary is only S$3500, plus S$900 variable bonus that MoM does not consider. That is low for your background, thus only S-Pass.

I got my EP application rejected too. I wish someone could tell me that the problem is solvable in the next few weeks.
Becuase waiting this long without being paid and can't lookfor other jobs is frustrating.

Not sure why but the company that offered me a job said that they will reapply again and might adjust the amount of offer.

I'm having my first contract S$3800 per month
As a recent graduate student in Taiwan, I consider this a nice offer.
Until now I've been working on my last job for 5 months.

By the way, I applied as an software engineer position.

The reason for rejection in your case is probably not the salary, but that you're a fresh graduate with no work experience. You can only get an EP if the employer can give a very good and convincing explanation why they need to hire you and not a comparable local graduate. This will be diffucult.

I had been working for 5 years in Singapore with work permit and recently just upgraded to e pass so could I apply for Singapore PR but my E pass just been issued?

Don't you have to have been a resident in Singapore and not cross-border to qualify?

Beppi will I am sure enter the discussion when the time zones are more in sync.

I am not sure if, in your case, you can apply for PR immediately after EP is issued, or have to wait 6 months. Ask ICA!

Dear Beppi,

I am a graduate student from NTU. My master degree will be available on August, so I used the transcripts to apply for the EP when I got an offer from a small local company. They offer me S$3500, however, since I have worked before, I need S$3900 when I did the SAT. Three days after the company applied the EP for me, I found I was rejected by mom this afternoon. But I can't see the detailed reason. I am not sure whether the company would raise the salary for me, what should I do ?

I am from China and I have got a master's degree in China before. I am a bit over 28 years old. It's so hard for me to find this job here, and I really don't want to start job hunting again, although I need to if I don't have a choice. :sosad:

Please give me some advice, thanks.  Need your help!!!!

MoM does not usually disclose the reason for rejection.
But if the SAT says that you are not eligible for an EP at that salary, you already have the answer!
If the company is not willing to raise the salary, you can only get them to apply for an S-Pass instead, or look for a better paid job.

Hi Beppi,

Thanks for the help in advance. My firm applied for my EP recently and its still in the process. I was reading the topics here and was wondering about my chances.

The firm: Its a small local investment firm. I am going to be their first employee. It has been in existence for about 2 years now. We bring western firms to SIngapore and Asia so we do create jobs for Singaporeans. The firm through investments have created over 30 Singaporean jobs.  But we are still a nascent firm we are looking to be in the growth phase next 2-3 years.

Position: Investment Analyst

About me: I am an Indian resident. My undergrad is in finance from a top tier business school in the US; top 10. After grauating from undergrad  I did a masters from SMU in finance (I just graduated from it) and during this degree I interned at the firm that applied for my ep. I am 25 and have about 6 months of experience between the two degrees
My base salary is $3300. I also have quarterly discretionary bonus of $5k based on performance. The SAT tool said I qualify for both EP and S. I am a little worried after reading all the rejections. Thanks.

You might be eligible in principle (the salary is the absolute minimum an EP can be issued at), but the company has to justify why they hire a foreigner and not a similarly skilled local, which is notoriously difficult for a fresh graduate with no particular skills that differentiate him from others.

So by your statement it seems that the chances of it getting rejected are pretty high. Well thanks for your response.

Better not, just work under S Pass first then if renewal coming, check again to apply for EPass.. nowadays EP requirement is quite strict.

Hi Beppi,

My EP application got rejected too, its almost a week now, normally how long does it takes?  My company already appeal it. 

I just heard that normal is 3 appeals before they give the results of the appeal.

My stay here in Sg is only few days right now, and i am thinking if I can get an extension if I will apply.

Thanks.

Hi Beppi,

I'm 27 yrs old, graduate of BS Architecture and I've been working here for almost 2 years as Drafter. Before I started working I almost failed my medical test since a spot showed up in my chest x-ray. I was sent to gov hospital who recommended that I undergo standard treatment while working. My employer was so understanding that they agreed to this set-up.I got the certificate then after.

This year, I tried to apply for another company since my employer's project is nearly complete. My S-pass was rejected stating some "ADVERSE RECORD." I did had some oversight with some details that it did not match my firs application on my first company but I'm not sure if its my medical record. The company wanted to appeal my pass but did not move on since MOM would not disclose the exact reason for rejection unless I do the inquiry stating it's MOM's instruction to them. But when I called, agent said they don't disclose info to employee but to the HR only. This happened again on my 2nd application for a different company. HR asked me to call MOM and clear some details but I got the same message from MOM.

Does HR use this to get away from employee appeal or is it MOM don't really disclose info to employees? Does adverse record on my case refer to my medical record or my wrong input data on my first application which I was sure I corrected this time. Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks

It is true that MoM does not disclose rejection reasons to employees, and rarely does do to HR.
You should contact MoM about this together with your HR - and hope for an understanding officer.
I do not think the reason for rejection is your medical record, but to be sure you should submit a doctor's letter saying that this is cleared and you are fit for work.
It is more likely that conflicting information in the applications lead to rejection. From MoM's point of view, you lied either in the first or in the second application. You should also clarify this, submit proof of the correct details and explain why it was stated incorrectly in the past (perhaps you can blame it on the previous employer?).

Thanks Beppi,

Your really good at giving advice.

But why would MoM play ping pong with us? HR calls and they say I call MoM Instead, when I called they'd refer me back to HR. It's as if they're  letting us know it's a dead end. HR though want me to have personal appearance at MoM but I'm afraid I will not be entertained since they already said they don't entertain
employee applicants.

Maybe becaus the HR and you were not talking to the same officer?
(Honestly, how can I know?!?)
You are right, MoM will not entertain you. HR can try to get an appointment and bring you along!

Hi Beppi!

I was wondering if I can get your thoughts on my situation?

I graduated with Master's in Chemical Engineering last year from a British university. I came to Singapore in February 2015 on a Working Holiday Pass. I've been working at this local company for the past 6 months, and they want to keep me permanently. The job is currently being advertised on Jobsbank, following which we are applying for the EP.

I was just wondering what my chances are? I have less than 1 year of experience since I recently graduated, but I have been already working at the company already for the past 6 months. Would that help in my application? I'm not entirely sure of the procedure for converting a Working Holiday Pass into an EP. My salary would be S$3300.

Sorry, I am not familiar with WHP visa and if/how they can be converted to EP.
Please try and post your experience here, for others to read it in future. Thanks!

Hello, my e-pass got rejected and I had to exit to a different country for more than a week because my social visit pass expired. Would you know if the immigration officers (airport) will still let me go back to Singapore after my vacation from a different country? I'm just worried that my e-pass rejection and appeal will be considered in allowing me to go back for another month.

This is up to the individual immigration officer to decide, so it depends a bit on your luck.
You should have a good reason to want to travel to Singapore again, and be able to show proof. For example, if you want to attend job interviews, bring the invitation letters from the companies along.
If you have no good reason, you better stay out of the country for longer (rule of thumb: minimum as long as you were in with SVP) before you try entering again.

Hi beppi, my EP got approved. It was a very smooth process. Thanks.

Good to know that in the finance and investment industry young skilled graduates can still get an EP. That is not thecase in industries I am more familiar with. Congratations!