Safety in Maldives

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Maldives?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Maldives and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

hello,
in general maldives is safe. cash crimes or hit & run cases are rear in local islands or hulhumale. but there are problems related to safety in Male city, especially while you are on streets or lanes with less or no peoples it is advisable to take care bcoz the drugs addicted pplz will try to follow you to snatch cash or petty things some times they are in shape of mobs they might harm you so be v careful.
Hulhumale is quite safe as compare to male

There want be anything like that here in Maldives. I can guarantee you that.

Maldives Safe?????????????

I can guarantee you Maldives local Islands are the safest on earth.
But believe me Male' (The Capital City) is a messed up place. Killing, Drugs, fighting, stealing...etc (Name it)
It exist there in Male City. Its very sad to say, but this is the truth.
And political problems are way to high, which is effecting normal people.

Thanks
Mohamed

Hi!
I have been in  Maldives for the last three years from which I spent one year in Addu.
Male is a city always crowded day & night. I have no problem in going around any time. I feel safe in Male than in my own country. The people are quite friendly and the most important thing is that everyone is able to converse in English.
So I state that Male is a very safe place.
Nilanthi

Dear

Its very nice to hear that from you.
As you said you lived 3 years, i guess you are very lucky.
To be honest, look around (Politics, Gangs, Drugs, ....etc) everyday you can find something involve in that which effect to normal people.
And even there are so many cases in Male that people are stealing, sexually harassing tourist also. (Which is very transparent and a truth which everyone knows). Its not even safe to take a random taxi in Male, you will end up raping, stealing or even worst case dead.)

Dear believe me, i am not a person that want to talk bad about my country, but as people need right information, i am telling all i know.

Once again i am very happy that you are safe and living happily in Maldives.

God Bless you and have a safe life

Kind regards
Mohamed

i agree with PD5683

Hi Mohamed,
Thank you for your reply and concern. According to you, yes, I guess I am very lucky. You find all that you mentioned in every country. So Maldives is no exception.  I find the Maldivians very helpful and friendly people and I am glad that you are one of them,

Nilanthi

3 years living in Male gave me an opportunity to be part of the community. Life there is on edge and expats should be wary of extremists waiting to leave their mark. It is a very very small percentage of the population as most Maldivians are really great people. Do note that there have been several stabbings and killings of Bangladeshi workers and the govt. police are extremely political in their actions. In no way should an expat expect help or resolution if caught in a criminal act. My advice, know as many locals as possible and be confident in your actions. The dictatorship isnt much concerned with world opinion so expats getting harmed will not be a cause for alarm.

Do know that the govt. is attempting to model Chinese rule and the legal system is as corrupt as one will find. Opposition Democracy supporters are arrested for simply standing and journalists gone missing. Police release no info on the missing nor conditions on those sent off to remote prisons.

And Addu? Is it save?

Regarding Addu.
Being there for one year and my experience as been  unforgettable.
I was a victim of mugging and was nearly stabbed, many islands are amalgamated to Addu so it a huge island with wide roads and lot of bare land.Unemployment is an issue and many youngsters are involved into drugs.
It's a danger zone after 6 pm. Roads are lonely as most of the Addu people  are family oriented & stay in their homes after working hours.