New In Town - Paris (2015)

Bonjour! Hello!

Some of the threads here are pretty old/inactive.
I just wanted to start a new thread for international expats and newcomers in and around Paris.
For those of us who want to meet with other new and old expats, make new friends, share experiences, language exchange, explore the city, discuss French bureaucracy issues (or not!), job hunting tips and anything else.

So, if you're new in town like me and trying to meet people, make friends, or looking for language exchange over a cup of joe, please say hello and make your presence known!

Merci! Thank you :)

~ Jo-Anne

Hi,

Im coming to Paris next month hope we can meet. I'm currently living and work in Abu Dhabi as a secretary.

Wanna know also how to job hunt their hahaha.

Regards,

Gwen

Hi Gwen!

Well, I can't help you with the job hunting as I'm hunting for a job as well and still clueless about it. :)
But yes, I hope we can meet up. Keep in touch (I'll add you to my contact) and holler when you get to Paris!

Have a great weekend!

~ Jo

Hi Jo-Anne

I have been in Paris for about 7 months now but work commitments have made it difficult for me to meet anyone! I would be very interested in any events, activities or just even a coffee (or wine) to get to know people :) Gillian

Hi there Gillian!
I signed up to this site with the aim to get some help or pointers about meeting people and making friends while in Paris. I'm trying to meet people, make friends, network but it's proving to be a bit difficult.

I guess things need a bit more time :)

I've seen some promising events being planned in Facebook's French/English Language Exchange group for the months of July & August.

Also, I found out today that the Bloom Where You're Planted seminar geared towards newcomers in Paris (by the American Church in Paris) will take place on October 3rd, a Saturday. Have you heard of this?
http://bloom.acparis.org/

Registration will open next month. I'm definitely going!

And if you ever find time for a cup of coffee or that glass of wine, let me know :)

Jo-Anne

Hey,

I came to Paris eight months ago. Everything is fine up to now, but I really need to practise my french!

It would be great to make some new friends.

Mohamad,
See ya!

Bonjour everyone :)

Let me introduce briefly :

Name : Jur
Origin : Slovakia
Interests : cooking, languages, nature and sports
availability : 24/7

Let´s hang out some day

Bonjour

hi
I wish you a good trip to paris ,hope u'll enjoy ^_^  :D
so you're working in abu dabi this is cool how do you find arabic people ????  :/
i'm arabic   :heart:

HI everyone.

I just moved to Paris 1 month ago.
I'm also looking to meet more people and make some new friends to hang out and visit Paris.
I already met some foreigner who meet up every Saturday night to have drink ( all nationalities boy and girls).
Everyone is welcome, it's a good way to meet people while having a good time.
If you would like more info you can contact me on my mail.***
I'm on Viber and what''s app
I can send you the info, date and time.
I already have a job here, so if you need some tips on job hunting i will be glad to help..
I hope to meet you all soon.

Peace out :)

Fred

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Thanks Jo-Anne, I'll check that out.  I think these forums are a great place to make connections, it's just taking the step to them actually go out and meet the people! :)

Hello  :)

I moved to Paris a month ago. I'm also looking for new friendships. My interests are: languages, travelling, food, movies, camping. Cheers!

hi everybody..i want to move france...can somebody tell me about cost of living there...like in paris,nice,bordeaux ? thanks..how is the job market in digital marketing ?

hi guys! my wife and i are planning to visit paris sometime in september. i really have no idea how much a 5 days vacation would cost us. any help pls? ideas, suggestions?

Nadège789 wrote:

Hello  :)

I moved to Paris a month ago. I'm also looking for new friendships. My interests are: languages, travelling, food, movies, camping. Cheers!

Hi Nadège!
How are you? Settling well in Paris?

~ Jo

gel10 wrote:

hi guys! my wife and i are planning to visit paris sometime in september. i really have no idea how much a 5 days vacation would cost us. any help pls? ideas, suggestions?

I wish I could help but I have no idea how much the cost of hotels in Paris these days and I guess it also depends on what you want to see (museums, etc...) But there are plenty of things to see and do in Paris, without spending a single dime. Paris is known as an expensive city if you are on a budget, but you can see all the famous landmarks for free. Just watch where you eat though... cafes and restaurants in the touristic areas are pricey!

Good luck to you & happy travels!

~Jo

hi! jo, you know what? I just found out today that I have an aunt who lives and works just outside of Paris. my aunt whom I have never met before (weird huh?) but I'm sure she'll give me all the information I need. hope everything goes well when September comes.

gel10 wrote:

hi! jo, you know what? I just found out today that I have an aunt who lives and works just outside of Paris. my aunt whom I have never met before (weird huh?) but I'm sure she'll give me all the information I need. hope everything goes well when September comes.

Oh yay! That's great! Maybe you can stay with her? It will save you money on the hotel part of you stay!

Mzjgen wrote:
gel10 wrote:

Oh yay! That's great! Maybe you can stay with her? It will save you money on the hotel part of you stay!

well i hope so. if she volunteers to offer us a place to stay, then great!

gel10 wrote:
Mzjgen wrote:
gel10 wrote:

well i hope so. if she volunteers to offer us a place to stay, then great!

I'm crossing my fingers! But well, if not, search for budget friendly/affordable hotels in Paris. Try to search on tripadvisor that way you can see the reviews.

I would like to join fun picnic some time, for expat live in Paris or local why not 😁
have a nice day for everyone

Hi jo and everyone, we have to plan to meet all, I'm going to Paris on Saturday, so excited . Anyone herw knows where are the salsa club n Paris?

Hello
iam new in paris and I would like to meet people from different cultures. So let's see who is here

Addicted to salsa wrote:

Hi jo and everyone, we have to plan to meet all, I'm going to Paris on Saturday, so excited . Anyone herw knows where are the salsa club n Paris?

Hi Gwen! Big OOPS! I just saw this post of yours! I was out of town for a couple of weeks! I know you're having a blast in Paris exploring :)  but yes, we should meet up (coffee or picnic?!) before you head back home. Just contact me in Facebook whenever. As for salsa, I found a link to a blog listing salsa places. They are so strict here about posting links in the forum so I'll send it to you through messenger on facebook.

Have a great weekend!
~ Jo

Hi!
I'm about to move to Paris (making the leap next month) and if you're doing any sort of meetups, I'd love to join in! The more people I can meet when I get over there, the better! :)

hello, i tried to add your viber but it didnt work
my viber is ***
i will come to paris next week

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.

Hello Jo- Anne,

If this thread is still active, i would be interested in hanging out if there will be something organized. I'm always happy to meet new people, to change thoughts about Paris and life in it. I'm working in a hotel as Night Auditor and this schedule doesn't let me to much time to meet other people. When everybody is going out, i have to go to work. So, if there will be something and it suites my working programm, I would be more than happy to come. So, plese let me know.

Florin

Hello gel10,

I've been working in Paris for more that one year and a half in a 4 star hotel, so I know a little about prices in Paris, hotels, etc.
About the budget, depends on the how many stars you want to have the hotel and the area it is situated. The prices are different from a day to another, from one week to another, depends if there are any events in Paris in the period you are coming. For example, during the Fashion Weeks, Roland Garros, Aeronautic Show the prices are going up. Normally, in our hotel, the prices in September are more higher than August for example. Strange, but in September we have more guests that in August, so for this reason the prices are higher. Higher demand.
If you are a Museums lover and you will travel a lot in paris i would suggest you to buy a Parris Pass which includes both a Museum Pass and a Travel Pass.
I give you bellow the link where you cand find all the informations:

http://www.parispass.com/how-it-works/

Coming back to the hotel prices, less stars, lower prices, and in the same time more cheaper if you stay as far as you can from the central areas of Paris.
And always check the hotel's sites first to see if there are any promotions, it is always cheaper than booking thru a touristic agency.
In the same time you can rent apartments in Paris for a few days, there are a lot of sites where you can find them.
And do not forget the food..a meal is pretty expensive in Paris. If your breakfast is included at your hotel, it would be better for you.
Dinner, again depends on the restaurant, but in any restaurant wouldn't be cheaper than 40 euros/ person( 2 course dinner and a drink). If you prefer the kebab shops, you would spend 6-8 euros for one kebab and one drink.

I hope this help you, do not hesitate to contact me if you have any inquieries.

Florin

florins78 wrote:

Hello Jo- Anne,

If this thread is still active, i would be interested in hanging out if there will be something organized. I'm always happy to meet new people, to change thoughts about Paris and life in it. I'm working in a hotel as Night Auditor and this schedule doesn't let me to much time to meet other people. When everybody is going out, i have to go to work. So, if there will be something and it suites my working programm, I would be more than happy to come. So, plese let me know.

Florin

Hi there Florin,

This thread is not so active. And sad to say, there is no meet up in the works at this time.

Jo

Hi everybody,

Those who are interesting to organise a meet-up are welcome to do so ! :D

The Expat.com team can also help you to promote your event.

To give much more visibility to your gathering, i invite you to :

- create a new thread.
- give suggestions on the location, date and time of the meet-up.
- Best to create the thread in advance ( at least one or two weeks before the date of the meet-up ) to raise your chances.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Finally we are organizing something !

You can enter here :  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=514203#2803154

Poll will be closed on Monday 31st of August !

Hope we'll see you soon !

I get a blank page when I click on your link, ciremya

Moderated?! Hard to tell here.

Mzjgen wrote:

I get a blank page when I click on your link, ciremya

Moderated?! Hard to tell here.

Nah it's an internal link. Seems that the script turning URL into links is broken, just copy/paste the URL and it works. Or I made a shortened link : http://bit.ly/1WSJcIJ

I wish I could join but September will be a very busy month for me... If you do another one in or after November, that will be swell ;)

Going Somewhere, thank you!
We'll keep you posted on other future meet ups.

Hi Joe, my husband I are new in town. He's doing some market research for the company he works for in Canada and I have a lot of free time. I'm missing family and friends and would love to join in on a walk, museum tour, coffee, wine etc. I'm taking a few French language lessons here and there and my brain needs a wee break!!  Meeting some new people would be most welcome.
Is anything scheduled in the next couple of weeks that you know of? Tnx

Dawn

drobirtis wrote:

Hi Joe, my husband I are new in town. He's doing some market research for the company he works for in Canada and I have a lot of free time. I'm missing family and friends and would love to join in on a walk, museum tour, coffee, wine etc. I'm taking a few French language lessons here and there and my brain needs a wee break!!  Meeting some new people would be most welcome.
Is anything scheduled in the next couple of weeks that you know of? Tnx

Dawn

Hi Dawn!
I'm sorry but there's nothing scheduled for the next couple of weeks. We tried to organize something here before but it never took off. However, I've meet some lovely people from here for a chat and a cup of coffee and a walk around Paris. I would love to meet up but I'm heading home (back to the US) for a couple of weeks to visit my family and friends. Keep in touch. Maybe when I get back I'll try again to set something up.

Take care!

Jo