Fielding Your Questions: expat.com Members Want to Know...

Thanks for the info... I have my attorney looking into it for me.  I will use an attorney to handle all the paperwork as know the process is arduous and having lived all over the world, always have left it to the experts to deal with items that are complicated and way over my head!!

Thanks for the info...I have researched international schools and there seems to be a huge gap in prices.  I am planning a trip there over thanksgiving holiday to fact find.  Again thanks!!!

TerrazzoGuy wrote:

^^^That being said - and based in anecdotal evidence - get in the country, obtain an extension, enroll your boys in school, then apply for a visa. If your kids are enrolled in an ecuadorian school you are "almost" guaranteed a hasslefree visa.

Where have you obtained this information?
I have not seen before that foreign children enrolled in Ecuadoran schools get hasslefree visas. Source??

And what about all of the notarized and apostilled documents which are required for Ecuador  visa application, and such documents with apostilles must be sourced from home countries - TerrazzoGuy why would you mislead our questioner so? You have done this man a disservice.

I forgave you before for being pushy, dismissive, and rude. Telling this man to just put his kids in school and get a visa extension and residency will follow hassle free, is nearly on to a bold faced lie.

You need to retract that post. There are no facts to support it.
No.Facts.To.Support.It.

None

Dear Six-Mo,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

With all your pensions and time of service (thank you), getting a pensioner's visa in Ecuador should be a breeze -- and your boys can come along for the ride as dependents.  Just bring all the necessary U.S. paperwork and use an attorney or visa facilitator.

There are plenty of international schools in Ecuador, especially in Quito.  Start your research on the varying tuition levels by visiting the forum thread titled Schools for Expatriate Children in Quito.  Especially see the list on Report #19 on that thread.  Navigate over there using the searchbox function atop this page.

cccmedia in Quito

I would like to formally retract my previous statement. I would also for future reference like to leave this here..
an·ec·do·tal
ˌanəkˈdōdl/
adjective
adjective: anecdotal
(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.
"while there was much anecdotal evidence there was little hard fact"

You should definitely check the government visa website that Gardener gave you the link to.. If you feel like you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself I would suggest getting the help of an Ecuadorian attorney or facilitator rather than pay two attorneys. You will want to arrive with all your documents in order. I am sure you can get recommendations for an attorney here on this site or be directed to  a place where contact info is available

Thanks so very much!!!  Yes, no problem with finances.  I just am tired of the high cost of living n the U.S. , and the politics!  Plus I think kids should see how another country lives, they have but they don't remember... Again thanks so much.  See y'all soon!!?

Hi all, this is my third post of the night & I'm only a newbie...my my what a busy evening I'm having. I've just hopped accross from the Introduction thread because I have a number of questions to ask. I'll try to keep these as brief as possible, and if a question needs expanding or explaining then please feel free to ask me to do so.

1) I'm living in Villa Flora with my wife, and until about 5 years ago I was in pretty good shape. A slipped disc and university took care of that; now I'd like to try and get back in shape for my church wedding in December. Is anybody able to recommend a gym near here please? If possible I'd like to combine workouts with classes. From the prices I've seen, I can't afford a personal fitness instructor

2) I have a Sport Management degree and if possible I'd like to work in the area of sport. I have a couple of tentative possibilities in the future - when I don't know - and for now I'm working as an English teacher. Is anyone able to offer any advice to me please?

3) My 2 favourite sports - cricket and field hockey - aren't really played out here and whist I also enjoy badminton and football (soccer), I'm pretty terrible at both. Can anyone suggest an alternative please?

4) I do enjoy pool & snooker, and my parents are bringing my cues with them when my wife and I have our church ceremony in December. I have only seen 1 pool table here, at a British themed pub, and it was pretty poor (no offence!). Is there any point in my parents bringing my cues with them?

5) Does this website run events to allow people to meet up, or do I need to join another expat forum for that?

6) Does the British Embassy do anything here for Remembrance Sunday?

7) My wife and I are trying to buy furniture, but everywhere we go it's either hugely expensive or really poor quality. Can anyone suggest a place where we can go to get reasonable furniture without having to sell limbs or organs first?

That's all from me (this time), many thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your answers and getting to know you. I'll have a little read through this thread to try and answer any questions I can. At the moment I'm pretty tired so I'm going to hit the hay.

All the best and speak soon :D

MattieC86 wrote:

My wife and I are trying to buy furniture, but everywhere we go it's either hugely expensive or really poor quality. Can anyone suggest a place where we can go to get reasonable furniture without having to sell limbs or organs first?

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Mr. and Mrs. Mattie C.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on furniture -- and clearly you don't -- consider looking on the "eBay of Ecuador," and by that I mean www.mercadolibre.com.ec

You'll want to look in the Hogar y Muebles section.

FYI, I sent you a PM message with information about Gringo meetups in Quito.

cccmedia in Quito

MattieC86 wrote:

I do enjoy pool & snooker, and my parents are bringing my cues with them when my wife and I have our church ceremony in December. I have only seen 1 pool table here, at a British themed pub, and it was pretty poor (no offence!). Is there any point in my parents bringing my cues with them?

A church ceremony in Quito during Christmastime...brilliant!  That should be fabulous. :top:

I saw some billiards places on the north side of Quito through a bus window this week.  One was across from the La Y trole stop*.  Actually, I only saw the exteriors and have no real idea of what is inside.

You might contact one of the several billiards factories in Quito for a recommendation for a place to play pool aka billares.  For instance, you can call or send a message via www.billarescepeda.com/contact.htm or visit their place at Avenida de la Prensa y Unión y Progreso.

Or, somewhat closer to you for a recommendation, there is Casa de los Mil Deportes (House of the 1,000 Sports) at 10 de Agosto y Jorge Washington.

cccmedia in Quito

*update...the location is at the La Y stop on the Américas-La Prensa bus line, not the trole line stop of the same name.

MattieC86 wrote:

Does the British Embassy do anything here for Remembrance Sunday?

Remembrance Day, always the second Sunday in November, with be observed on November 8th this year (2015).

Why not contact the Embassy directly and see what might be planned in Quito....

www.british-embassy.net/ecuador-quito.html

cccmedia in Quito

MattieC86 wrote:

My 2 favourite sports - cricket and field hockey - aren't really played out here and whist I also enjoy badminton and football (soccer), I'm pretty terrible at both. Can anyone suggest an alternative please?

Swimming!

Although I haven't been to this pool, cab drivers have told me there's a good indoors pool in your neighborhood, Villaflores.

I'll bet you can find it if you or your wife asks around in the vecindario.

If that pool doesn't work out, you can use the pool at Academía de Natación Valencia, at Río Frío and Venezuela.  Take the El Recreo-Basílica bus from any Villaflores stop, and get off at Buenos Aires or Río Frío.  You'll need a swim cap and your own towel.  They supply a locker with key.  "Gringo hours" ... 12 noon to 3 p.m. this month, 12 to 4 September-June... with the hours subject to change.  The pool is open Monday-Friday except EC holidays.

The street where that pool is located, Río Frío, literally means "cold river," but the pool water is actually maintained at a comfortable temperature. ;)  $3 per person per day.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Mr. and Mrs. Mattie C.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on furniture -- and clearly you don't -- consider looking on the "eBay of Ecuador," and by that I mean www.mercadolibre.com.ec

You'll want to look in the Hogar y Muebles section.

FYI, I sent you a PM message with information about Gringo meetups in Quito.

cccmedia in Quito

Thank you so much, for the message and for the warm welcome. On a general note that is one of the best things about Ecuador; everyone is so welcoming, warm and caring. It makes a nice change from the UK

cccmedia wrote:

A church ceremony in Quito during Christmastime...brilliant!  That should be fabulous. :top:

I saw some billiards places on the north side of Quito through a bus window this week.  One was across from the La Y trole stop.  Actually, I only saw the exteriors and have no real idea of what is inside.

You might contact one of the several billiards factories in Quito for a recommendation for a place to play pool aka billares.  For instance, you can call or send a message via www.billarescepeda.com/contact.htm or visit their place at Avenida de la Prensa y Unión y Progreso.

Or, somewhat closer to you for a recommendation, there is Casa de los Mil Deportes (House of the 1,000 Sports) at 10 de Agosto y Jorge Washington.

cccmedia in Quito

Yeah the Christmas wedding is looking great. My parents are coming but they're really worried about a few things. Closer to the time I'll try to address those fears.

Thank you for all that :D. Casa de los Mil Deportes looks like a shop that sells equipment and clothing for sports, rather than being an actual place to play. However I will certainly give them a closer look when I have a little more time (I'm in my wifes office just now). I'll also contact www.billarescepeda.com/contact.htm tonight to ask where I can play. I've never been one for dancing - more obstical to overcome - my friends and I always used to go out and play pool & snooker until the early hours. Was great fun and I have loved playing since I was a little boy.

cccmedia wrote:

Remembrance Day, always the second Sunday in November, with be observed on November 8th this year (2015).

Why not contact the Embassy directly and see what might be planned in Quito....

www.british-embassy.net/ecuador-quito.html

cccmedia in Quito

I have a few times. I usually contact them with a few questions, and I've almost always asked about Remembrance Sunday; they've never answered it for some reason. I have no idea why. I'll ask again and this time, only about Remembrance Sunday

cccmedia wrote:

Swimming!

Although I haven't been to this pool, cab drivers have told me there's a good indoors pool in your neighborhood, Villaflores.

I'll bet you can find it if you or your wife asks around in the vecindario.

If that pool doesn't work out, you can use the pool at Academía de Natación Valencia, at Río Frío and Venezuela.  Take the El Recreo-Basílica bus from any Villaflores stop, and get off at Buenos Aires or Río Frío.  You'll need a swim cap and your own towel.  They supply a locker with key.  "Gringo hours" ... 12 noon to 3 p.m. this month, 12 to 4 September-June... with the hours subject to change.  The pool is open Monday-Friday except EC holidays.

The street where that pool is located, Río Frío, literally means "cold water," but the pool water is actually maintained at a comfortable temperature. ;)  $3 per person per day.

cccmedia in Quito

I'm not a big swimming fan but I'll look in to it. I'm considering volleyball as well; I played it a few times at college and even though I have a slight height disadvantage, I was OK at it. Thanks again for the info :D

Swimming....best exercise for you..... works every muscle of the body......anyone with back issues should consider it...stop pounding on your spine with badminton or soccer.....if you want your back to last your lifetime. You're going to be a newlywed ;)

MattieC86 wrote:

I do enjoy pool & snooker, and my parents are bringing my cues with them when my wife and I have our church ceremony in December. I have only seen 1 pool table here, at a British themed pub, and it was pretty poor (no offence!). Is there any point in my parents bringing my cues.

I pinned down the name, correct location and other information about your new 'pool hall,' Mattie.

It's the Euro Club in Quito's Jipijapa sector.  Pronounce that "hippie hoppa."

It's right at the La Y stop of the popular Américas-Prensa bus line on Avenida de la Prensa.  A photo showing six billiards/pool tables is at the club's listing at www.foursquare.com ...

Let us know how you like it.

cccmedia in Quito

Awesome. I would like to know if my son has (it will be a BA or a BS in Accounting) an Accounting degree and 2 years full-time experience in an Accounting job here, will it be difficult or easy to get a job in Cuenca using his degree?

Angel2018 wrote:

if my son has (it will be a BA or a BS in Accounting) an Accounting degree and 2 years full-time experience in an Accounting job here (Ohio), will it be difficult or easy to get a job in Cuenca using his degree?

By this point, we have posted extensively on your other thread, but could add something here.

If he is looking for a job from an employer in Ecuador, he is at a disadvantage.

Most job seekers here are native or fluent Spanish-speakers, and an Expat accountant might need to pass a Spanish-language accounting exam to get a professional visa.  His accounting skills might not be directly transferable here due to differences between US and EC accounting practices.

If the family's disability income (referenced on the other thread) is sufficient, probably $1,000 per month, the son could be included as a dependent on the family's pension residency visa instead of needing a professional visa immediately.

cccmedia in Quito

What is the limit on age for my son to get a dependent visa? And can he get a job without having one in place before he goes?

Angel

It really does seem to me that you need to start looking at either another country or just remaining in the US where those with disabilities are protected against discrimination by law that has been in existence for more than 25 years and is enforced almost completely. Have you ever thought of seeking part time employment which you are allowed to do and is incentivized? what about your husband?You have access to government assistance such as food stamps, Medicare and Medicaid. The Medicare you are entitled to because of your disability cannot be used in Ecuador. Life is expensive in the US but Ecuador is not a good option even though the cost of living might be less.

Being in a wheelchair might make you a virtual shut in because of the difficulty in negotiating sidewalks that are in less than good repair. Traffic conditions which challenge pedestrians with no mobility limits as well as hilly/steep terrain will make getting around nearly impossible

Based on what you have told us, the prospects of your son getting a job are almost nil. He is not fluent in Spanish. The Ecuadorian government will not allow a foreigner to take a job that there are qualified nationals to do. It seems he has some limitations doing his job in the US  as well which would not be accommodated for in Ecuador. There is a less than 1% chance that he will get a job contract before he arrives for those reasons

It really does seem that Ecuador is not an option for you for all the reasons we have stated some of them more than once. I am not telling you what to do but this pursuit does really seem like a waste of your time. No one here on the Forum will be able to give you the answers you want.

suefrankdahl wrote:

There is a less than 1% chance that he will get a job contract before he arrives...

No one here on the Forum will be able to give you the answers you want.

I agree with the Oracle that there is a miniscule chance for your son to get a job before arriving here.

However, I can answer the question about your son's eligibility to be a dependent.

Unless the rules are changed going forward, there is no barrier for a college-age or 20-something young man to be included in any residential-visa application.

cccmedia in Quito

It looks like I have some thinking and praying to do.  This is the year my son will get the major accounting classes. This semester  and Spring semester he will be taking accounting 2, federal taxation, auditing, business ethics, payroll, macroeconomics, microeconomics and something else that I cannot remember. If we go somewhere else maybe his Accounting degree will come in more handy for him. Thank you all.

Cost of living now for one adult per all latest reports here on the Forum is $1200 (very frugal) to $1500 per month to have close to the amenities an American is accustomed to. Three adults likely more. Unless you could deal with living like Jesse used to (pre marital bliss ;)  or shared a house or apartment it would not be cheap. You would have a tough time finding a two or three BR house with 2 bathrooms unfurnished, modern kitchen with appliances for much less than you are paying in the US. To furnish and buy appliances in EC might be very prohibitive with only a disability income. Many furnished  places do not include appliances.

To ship a container of household furniture and goods is complicated, expensive and not for the faint hearted. Some of the serial expats on the Forum have expressed their reasons for not doing it. Others know what it entails and are able to do it with relative ease

To find a place to live with accommodations for a wheelchair would be even more expensive. There likely would have to be custom renovations or new house construction with architect design familiar with this type of plan.

Once your son graduates from college he will no longer be eligible to receive dependent disability income as I am sure you are well aware of.

If you are really interested you should spend the money and come and see what you are up against. I don't know if  any of the international hotels are totally wheelchair accessible and looking around for apartments would be difficult if balance was an issue as you stated

EC is a third world country. If you have never traveled in one you likely have no conception of what it is like. Panama might be more Americanized. Panama City might provide more services and be wheelchair friendly. I don't know as I have never been there. I also know nothing about the cost of living. I don't know if there still is a US controlled Canal Zone anymore.

I am a relatively healthy 59 year old woman and from past overseas experience and what I have learned after 3 years on the EC Forum I would hesitate to live there for safety concerns. If I feel vulnerable because of my age and single status I wouldn't even consider it in a WC because I could never hope to participate in everyday life independently

Vaya con Dios

Oracula del Oregon

You had also said that it was your son's choice whether he wanted to accompany you. As a mother I do not depend on either of my grown sons and feel that they must be free to live their own lives. Neither do I expect help for when I might be ill or infirmed and have made plans accordingly

suefrankdahl wrote:

If you have never traveled in one you likely have no conception of what it is like. Panama might be more Americanized. Panama City might provide more services and be wheelchair friendly. I don't know as I have never been there. I also know nothing about the cost of living. I don't know if there still is a US controlled Canal Zone anymore.

Oracula del Oregon

President Carter gave the canal zone back to Panama.

Angel2018 wrote:

It looks like I have some thinking and praying to do.  This is the year my son will get the major accounting classes. This semester  and Spring semester he will be taking accounting 2, federal taxation, auditing, business ethics, payroll, macroeconomics, microeconomics and something else that I cannot remember. If we go somewhere else maybe his Accounting degree will come in more handy for him. Thank you all.

I would recommend that he change majors entirely. Perhaps psych with an emphasis in family therapy.

jessekimmerling wrote:
Angel2018 wrote:

I would recommend that he change majors entirely. Perhaps psych with an emphasis in family therapy.

Would be a drastic change for someone who likes to work alone with numbers.

mugtech wrote:
suefrankdahl wrote:

President Carter gave the canal zone back to Panama.

Must still be strings attached ...like serious military bases???

Akmisit has been to Ecuador and liked it so much he and his wife want to move here.

He is a director of technology services in Upstate New York.

-----

Ecuador IPs have a crying need to make top-quality Internet available to customers.

Let's take me as an example.  I'm dissatisfied with the speed of MoviStar Internet and would consider NetLife's faster service if it were readily available here in El Centro, Quito.

NetLife said I would need to bring in a second customer from my condo complex in order to get a contract with them.

The service is more easily available in parts of north Quito.

Whether the solution for NetLife is technological, marketing-related or other, I don't know.  Maybe Ak or some bright entrepreneur can find a niche somewhere in here to solve the general problem.

¡Traiga tu español!

cccmedia in Quito

Is Big Al from Arizona a new member

Exactly the sort of issue I'm talking about fixing, starting an ISP for high speed internet access.

Thanks for your input.

I'll reach out when I have some high speed products ready for costumers.

New member BC45 has found a potential new way to communicate with the locals in Ecuador even though he doesn't speak Spanish.

"I have an app on my phone that can carry on a vocal conversation in English and Spanish," BC posted from Jacksonville, Florida, on the New Members thread.

He wants to know about bringing his current phone from the Sunshine State to the Land of the Sun.  "It is internationally capable."

-----

I am sorta dubious about that app, BC.  However, I wish I could be there at a busy Spanish-only fruit market when you try to buy mangos and passion fruit from one of the middle-aged fruteras while your phone does all your talking. :cool:  You'll certainly get the locals' full attention if you try it.

The part about bringing your phone to Ecuador should be easy.  For about fifteen bucks, they should be able to arreglar the phone.  The same shop can sell you some starter minutes, and your phone will be talkin' up la gente in practically no time. ;)

cccmedia in Quito

Hi CCCM,

It seems you're all over the Ecuador scenes.  Good on ya.  You are rapidly becoming a familiar face, that is, if I could actually see your face.   ;)

Thanks for keeping me pointed in the right directions.  Hopefully I'll soon get the hang of it, get my ducks rowed up, and one of these days sooner than later show up on the street down yonder, looking just like fresh gringo meat.

BTW, my local AT&T  folks assure me that with a plan they offer, my phone will go to work seamlessly in Ecuador.  Unlimited text, $0.50/minute talk, 500mb data, is one variation.  How does that compare with your suggestion?

I presume I should also have my laptop.

Be well, cheers, BC

BC45 wrote:

AT&T  folks assure me that with a plan they offer, my phone will go to work seamlessly in Ecuador.  Unlimited text, $0.50/minute talk, 500mb data, is one variation.  How does that compare with your suggestion?

You should be able to get calling minutes from Claro or MoviStar for about 10 cents each, BC, or 18 cents if you're calling another cellphone.  The way most folks do it here is with no plan, just buy a few dollars worth of minutes as you need them.  Historically, at the end of each month, the companies offer promotions, so you get bonus minutes with any minutes-purchase.  The bonus minutes typically expire after a while, the cash minutes stick until used.

Tons of stores sell calling minutes, at least here in Quito, and the purchase typically only takes a minute. :D

cccmedia in Quito

BC45 wrote:

I presume I should also have my laptop.

Bring it, man!

Don't figure on taking it around town much, though, especially not in a computer bag.  That makes you a target, as I found out that time I met the 24 de Mayo gang a few years ago in south Quito.

Pretty much the only time I would take my HP laptop out of my condo is if it needed repairs.  Or if I was going out of town.

And if you do tote it around, I recommend carrying it in something that doesn't look like it was made to carry a computer.  Fool the bandidos!

cccmedia in Quito

Thanks CCCM,

It DOES sound better to do my phone locally there.  Perhaps Cuenca isn't as cosmopolitan as Quito, but certainly large enough for proper cell phone services.

Thanks too for the heads-up on the laptop.  Perhaps for my initial exploratory visit, I would not need to have it at all since my phone handles email and web searches, etc. quite well.

cheers, BC

Over at a Vilcabamba-Loja thread, new member Wayne C. Byrd wanted to know if anyone on the forum was doing off-the-grid homesteading.  The Home Office wanted to move that question off the Vilca thread and so we wound up over here.

Frankly, Wayne, we're basically on-the-gridders over here at the Ecuador forum.  Based on past experience, you may not get much feedback on this matter.

Around this time last year, Los Angeles TV producer "Barb" started a forum thread seeking Skype interviews with folks who were off-the-grid or planning a grid-free existence.  That was the infamous thread titled "Living Off the Grid in Ecuador."

We on-the-gridders batted it around with Barb for weeks.  When all was 'said and done,' she had come up with only one possible Skype interviewee -- a businessman in Cuenca who was not only on the grid, he had international phone capability.

I then asked, what had we learned from the thread....

Mugtech summed it up:  "That people who live off the grid are not coming back on the grid to tell us how to live off the grid."

cccmedia in Quito

I was born and raised in North America.  My husband is Ecuadorean and wants to move back there.  I have visited twice and enjoyed traveling all over the country.  It is a great place to visit.

However, it is a mystery to me why anyone would want to live there permanently, other than the cost of living.  I would be happy to live simply and don't require a lot of material goods and services.  Also, I think the cultural offerings are different than what can be found in the U.S. and would miss that very much.

The crime is of concern to me.  My husband has family there, and everyone tries to minimize this problem.  However, my husband is on high alert when we are traveling, and all members of his family live in gated houses/condominiums.  They have had multiple personal attacks.  I would not feel safe walking without my husband or someone else to accompany me which hampers my freedom.

Would appreciate any comments, since the move back there means so much to my husband.