TEFL Certification

Hello All!
I am now undergoing the process of choosing the right online TEFL course! There are a million options and they range so vastly in price. I have a couple of questions:

When a site claims its courses are accredited, how can I know for sure?
Is it a good sign if the course provider is a member of the IATEFL?
Has anyone used learnTEFL.com?

I have heard it is also important to get the following notarized/certified by a lawyer before departing:
- Criminal Record Check
- TEFL Certification
- University Degree

Do these seem to be common pieces of paper that are needed for teaching in Hanoi?

I realize that this is a rather information heavy post, but if you have information about any of these topics, I would love to hear from you.

All the best,
Jess

I have many of the same questions.  I teach math and physics in the U.S. and have a Bachelor of Science degree. I have been considering coming to Phnom Penh to take the TEFL training certificate course that is offered through the International TEFL Academy:

(internationalteflacademy.com/tuition-dates-asia-tefl-classes).

I thought it would be a nice way to get acclimated, then seek a job in country.

Does anyone have any experience with this training organization? Or feedback on my plan, such as it is?

I expect to take the November or December course with the goal of starting work after the new year.

Sincerely,
Lynne

Why would you pay $1,750 for a mickey mouse TEFl
Accreditation?
Internationally recognized?
Cambodian requirements are preferably white skin and sober at interview!
Ok seriously had a quick look at your linked TEFL provider. Cleverly written fancy piece of disingenuous crap. Do independent research from sources not trying to sell you something
Caveat Emptor

Hi,

I have completed the TEFL course In England and It is very helpful to have in Vietnam. Are you looking to do the online course?
UK TEFL is the official course. There are many other ones such as TEFL UK, and things like that which may be cheaper and probably quite similar but it is not official so don't know if the recognition will be the same. I completed the three day course( you can do In 2 days)  which says is for beginners however you must have some good understanding for English language. It says beginner but I know  some of my friends would find it hard. Just start off with beginner level then can work your way up to harder courses. :)

Look for Cambridge CELTA - A google will do the trick.
No one in this wide world will question that.

I only respond to docs questions.

-I got orginal diploma mailed from my USA university but my university provided me with an option to also buy an E-diploma.  An ESL school accepted the e-diploma and never required me to bring the physical diploma in to the school.
-I got a 'clearance letter' from my police department by contacting the police department records department and mailing them a money order for about $10 usd and copy of my Florida, USA drivers license as proof of who I was.  It took them a full three weeks but they mailed back a notarized, officially stamped copy of my clean record aka 'clearance letter' on official police department stationary.  I had a high quality scan to PDF made and I submitted that along with my e-diploma and my school accepted that and never asked for the original.

Of course every school may be different, you may take my experience and offer that to the school your applying to and see if they accept that rather than having to worry about originals, just thought I would share my route.  Based upon reading hundreds of posts and job ads over months, you should also be aware that some school jobs require full college transcripts but my understanding that is only for full time perm schoolteacher gigs, not ESL school jobs.   just my take on it, I'm not an expert so do your due diligence.

-I also like the fact that now I have digital copies in the case I lose or damage my originals.