Retiring in Sri Lanka - do you have experience about buying a house??

Hi All,

My husband who is Sri Lankan and myself and Australian are thinking of retiring in Sri Lanka  in 3 - 5 years. We will travel again there later this year. Just wondering if any other expats have experience in buying a house there.  REally interesterested in your experiences.  AT the moment we are interested in buying on the west coast, south of Colombo.

Thanks

Yes, I have been living overseas and planning to retire soon in Sri Lanka.  Have been checking the properties advertised on, Lankaproperty web, and hitad Sri Lanka for almost two years.

New properties still under construction by Nivasie Developers, Malable  , Orchid Housing Project was my choice. The building  construction is being done by ICC  Group. ICC group is well known  in the construction industry. I do not know whether you will like to live in this location.

Hi,

Thanks so much your reply.  I have been scouring that web site for about a year.  Have seen some great places, but need to go over and have a further look around.

Which area are you building in? Is it Malable, and where is that near. Good to have the info. You must have done your research to find a developer you were happy with.

Hi ,
Attractions were , recreation facilities available, such as walking ,swimming, and clean atmosphere around. Orchid Housing Malalbe, Battaramulla area I found properties, chaeper than Colombo. Single houses with a 6-7 perc land not skyscrapers.  Malabe is close Kottawa ,Galle express way. Malabe is also the IT hub of Sri lanka, and there is a Teaching Hospital and a International School nearby. The housing scheme is located about 2 KM away from the Towm -Malabe.
It is not advisable to built a house a Sri Lanka without your daily personal supervision on site. Out of sight out of mind.If you like to build your own house, you may want consider renting a house near by.
Nivasie Developers are building about 240 houses; the Project name Orchid Housing Malabe. There are different types of houses to choose. The building construction is being done by ICC -International Construction Consortium.   
Visit all the places on your list, check the title deeds, any caveat, mortgages  on the properties etc. is important.
websites below.
www.orchidbynivasie.com  (proprty developer)
http://www.icc-construct.com/web/- (builders)

Rosmin, you really NEED to come down, look around, and decide on an AREA first, and then choose to either buy or build a home.  I don't think this type of decision can be made over the internet!!!

You are very lucky having a Sri Lankan husband, because you have no impediment to buying your own property, which is the major difficulty facing many of us foreigners living here in beautiful Sri Lanka.

Staying a bit far away from the crowded cities and beach resorts, you can easily buy a piece of land for about $20,000 to $40,000 perhaps, even on the beachside!  Even less than that in the cool climates of the mountains!

Building will cost you almost the same, making your "dream home" cost much less than even a tiny studio apartment in most parts of the world!

Come, have a look around, and be very pleasantly surprised at what this wonderful island has to offer you!!!

Cheers!

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : No free ads, please register your company in our business directory. Thank you.
Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : careful with free advertising pls

Hi, I have a question: but what about visa? The "retiree" visa seems a bit unpractical. Can anyone give me some advice on how long i could stay in SL once I bought the house?
thanks
Matt

Hi friends
sorry to disturb you but if possible we need your support.
I m Italian 57 yo my wife Chinese 37. Both of us are living and working in China. Next year its our intention to stop our work for few years and move outside China . After visited Malysia, Thailand, Vietnam we are thinking to move to S Lanka. Considering your knowledge of the country  do you have a safe nice area to suggest ? We don't need luxury life. A clean village in front of the sea and a normal local home to rent. A very  important condition, the place have to be  safe . Our monthly budget is 1.000 US$ per month , do you think enough for 2 persons ?
Many thanks for your helpful suggestion
Best regards
Marco & Noko

Yes if your husband have citizenship here in Sri lanka he can buy a property otherwise  you can buy and apartment  above 4th floor in a n apartment complex. With out purchasing tax.

Moderated by Maximilien 8 years ago
Reason : avoid posting your personal details pls
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct