Safety in Ecuador

Same ilk as the IL people

Do you think a single woman walking with an 8-year-old boy (or young child in general) is more likely, or less likely, to be robbed or attacked?

As previously stated, personal security in EC is a loaded question. I have 22 years of active duty Military experience, and one speciality is Physical Security. I gave security presentations to family members of service men prior to deployments etc. As well as preparing the crew for visits to foreign ports. Out of 86 countries visited I have yet to find one that is 100% save, including the U.S. which happens to more dangerous than many places.

Sure I could and will if requested give a class on personal security. It would be pretty much the same for EC as anywhere else on this big blue marble.

It all comes down to "Situational Awareness", Even as you are enjoying your coffee, not really thinking of anything in particular your mind is processing input from all five of your senses. It is a matter of your consciously recognizing that data received. It is no more difficult than looking around and asking yourself "What is wrong with this picture"? If you have not actively used your senses in this manner it will take a small degree of training. Is it difficult? No.

The worst habit I see with people is that they tend to blend in by walking around with their head down or focused on a book, cell phone, their feet, etc. or those blasted head phones. In order to avoid trouble you first need to be able to sense it coming...The best passive aggressive action to adopt is to keep your head up and look people in the eye. It tells people I am here, and aware of what is going on, try it you will be surprised with what you see.

As with anything in life, you always need to have a plan "B".  Always be looking for an escape route in case of trouble. Leave yourself options to facilitate an escape maneuver if needed. For example, don't stand in large crowds, always maintain your security bubble.  Some places are less sensitive to personal space, they don't mind the constant buddy rubbing. If needed create space, open your stance and posture, spread your arms, take a wider stance and create more room. It also ensures you have a more secure center of balance and you will be more stable if and when bumped.

There are many, many strategies that can be used, and most would make perfect sense after hearing them. It is simply a matter of adopting the proper mindset. I once did a class for children ages 6-10 years old, as children do not think or see things as an adult does I made a game out of it, taking them through various situations and letting them identify the hazard. Not only was it a great deal of fun, but very interesting to see how perceptive children can be.

Think of it as an experiment in observation, and actions, don't try to force it out of fear. It will be to much like work and it will not stick. Besides if you walk around in fear, you will be focused on that and miss not only the point but everything around you.

Enuff said,
If anyone wants to hear more, or wants some exercises to get you on track, just say the magic word....

My practical experience covers;

Force Protection (The protection of Military forces at home and abroad)
Physical Security
Personal Security and Asset Protection
Industrial Security
Home Security

I did this as an occupation after my retirement from active duty. I was very good at it and enjoyed it a great deal, right up to the point in which I had had enough of the hysteria in the U. S. and relocated to EC.

Thanks for the post. I was hoping you would respond :)

Senor GMC, thank you for an excellent post……
Situational awareness is a critical part of staying safe.
Please continue….
And nice to see another vet on board.
Vaya con Dios

No problem, as I could go on about this topic for much longer than most would be interested perhaps it would be helpful if there were a specific place or topic people would like to start.

As they say knowledge is power, and now that I think about it I have many files in my human hard drive that have been idle for some time. My wife who I love dearly routinely pulls my chain about knowing everything... If that could only be true!! I am the first to admit that I by no means "know everything", I admit that I can normally provide more information about topics than most would like to hear, but what can I say I like to learn new things.

I explain to her that I am simply a product of my environment, having had a career that required me to have a very broad knowledge of many areas over a long period of time, results in a person like me. This is true of most Veterans, they are a wealth of knowledge which goes untapped for the most part.

I push my son to be independent of thought and that it is good to question things. I unwittingly created a monster as now at the age of 15 he routinely wants to fact check his teachers.... This is okay with me, at least it shows that he is thinking. 

OK,  now that I am completely off the topic... Tell me where you would like to start or ask specific question and we can go from there. I would be more than willing to contribute as many other very intelligent people here do on a regular basis.

Fire when ready..

OK, GMC, what are three safety/security tips that are specific to Quito?

cccmedia in Quito

I think the whole taxi thing is scary. Read an article about same problem in India. Mumbai of all places They're putting some kind of panic buttons in the cabs. Also hiring women cab drivers which I think is  brilliant

Good tips.
     I an 77 and have traveled a lot, in the US as well as worldwide and only experienced two incidents. Once, walking from my Berkeley house at night for a slice of pizza I suddenly felt two guys making a move on me. I walked quickly into a liquor store. Was I right? I think so. Walking and driving I try to pay attention to what is around me.
     The other time was classic. I got into a packed Rome subway during rush hour with bags in my arms just like the tour books say not to do. A well dressed young couple got on behind me and I felt a kind of bumping behind me. My camera was in a case with my belt through it and I saw the zipper was open. Luckily, I also had the camera strap itself looped through my belt so I still had it.
     In dicey areas I carry an old dummy wallet with expired credit cards and a small amount of cash, just in case, but have never lot it.
     I think it helps to walk in a purposeful fashion as if you live there rather than  wandering around like a lost tourist.

Ok, you got it.

1. As a taxi is a major mode of transportation, when taking a taxi text the cab number and or license plate number to a friend or family. Include your destination and approximate time of arrival, you can then follow up with a quick message to indicate you made it.

2. You may have noticed that many locals carry their back packs in the front. It is not to mimic pregnancy but to have the bag in a positon where it is harder to steal, having it in front also makes it easier for you to hold onto if someone were to try. Plus with it in the front you are more likely to notice an open pocket and ensure all the zippers are closed.

3. As with any country, you are required to have ID on your person and we all need money. If you do not "NEED" your wallet, dont carry it. Unless you need a credit card leave all that extra stuff at home in a secure place. Instead put your ID in one front pocket and your cash in the other. The front pocket is much harder for a person to get into without your feeling it.
Another good tactic is to put a rubber band around your credit card or cards, this way you can feel what you are getting out. Also if you happen to be a robbery victim you can only pull your ID and thats all. If you put a small amount of money in one pocket and the bulk in the other you can do the same, offer the smaller amount and insist that is all you have. In most cases a robber wants to get in and get out, so taking something is better than nothing.
I do not advocate resistance, but there are things you can do to make things move a little faster. When talking to the thief, do so in as loud a voice as you can. This should draw attention to you and make them nervous. Do not raise your hands above your head and if posible back away if they try to get closer to you. With your hands chest level palms towards each other about a foot apart will alow you to swat away a potential blow or grab. I know some of this may be more difficult for a woman but safety trumps fashion. You can also carry a whistle, I personally carry a small very bright flashlight when out at night. Even a quick flash in the eyes will give me time to react accordingly.

Bonus Tip. An area or place which is considered safe during the day could be a hazard at night, ie. parks, some streets etc. Even during the day depending on local events a normally calm place could become a target rich environment for thieves. Always try to keep up with local events or even the Embassy site to stay abreast of potential hazard areas.

Remember: Amat Victoria Curam, "Victory Loves Preparation" . Be vigilent, not paranoid.

The world can be a scary place, be that as it may, you should not live life afraid of your own shadow. With the right mindset, and a little prior planning you can enjoy your day and feel confident that you have taken the best precautions to make yourself "A Hard Target". What is a hard target? Check back in a day and I will tell you.

GMC out..

Smitty88,

As we in the Navy would say "Bravo Zulu". Good Job, you are on the right track. Much of safety can be attributed to your attitude and how you conduct yourself. Your thinking outside the box is great.. There are no hard and fast rules, be flexible not predictable.

Another reason they keep backpacks in front is thieves will use razor blades to cut open the backpacks and you are less likely to sense this…..
And another reason, as much as possible to be aware of what is around you and try to keep space.

GMC(SW) wrote:

If you do not "NEED" your wallet, dont carry it. Unless you need a credit card leave all that extra stuff at home in a secure place. Instead put your ID in one front pocket and your cash in the other. The front pocket is much harder for a person to get into without your feeling it....
If you put a small amount of money in one pocket and the bulk in the other you can do the same, offer the smaller amount and insist that is all you have. In most cases a robber wants to get in and get out, so taking something is better than nothing.

I love GMC's advice not to carry a wallet when it's not necessary.

I don't even own a wallet.  I consider it a target.

I used to use a zippered pouch attached to my belt until I learned the hard way that that was not secure.

When I go out, I put some 20s in the pocket of my collared shirt along with my cédula ID -- which is usually just a copy -- my medicines card and only those debit card(s) and other card(s) I expect to use that day.

I use only one pants pocket in the front for small bills and the other front pants pocket is for tissues, coins and other low-value stuff.  If I am in a crowd, then there is only one pants pocket holding my bills and I can protect it with my free hand if I'm carrying something in the other hand.

This strategy has worked since I started using it about six months ago.

Before then, pickpockets victimized me in December (cellphone in that pouch) and January (sunglasses hooked over my belt.)

I use a hidden inside-the-clothing-device strategy as well.

cccmedia in Quito

GMC's anti-robo ideas about running off a ladrón with loud talk or telling him you only have what's in a certain pocket can work fine if he's in the usual hurry to grab 'n go.

But don't expect the maldito to converse or negotiate with you.

In ten encounters involving theft or attempted theft against me since 2001, not once did a single one of these delincuentes utter a word in any language.

The one time I called for help (South Quito), there were two dozen bystanders who did nothing -- not that I blame them.

On the positive side, in those ten incidents in Quito I never encountered a weapon. :)

cccmedia in Quito

I memorized my attorney's cellphone number a year ago and test my recollection of it weekly at least.

That way I have a reliable, possibly instant way to call for professional help for when the porquería hits the ventilador.

cccmedia in Quito

GMC(SW) wrote:

With the right mindset and a little prior planning, you can enjoy your day and feel confident that you have taken the best precautions to make yourself "A Hard Target". What is a hard target? Check back in a day and I will tell you.

GMC out.

OK, GMC, what is a hard target ... and what precautions do you recommend?

cccmedia in Quito

GMC(SW) wrote:

With the right mindset and a little prior planning...

I too have always found that prior planning - as opposed to planning after the event - is the most effective! :top:

Seriously, just having a plan, and a backup (or two or three) gives you a better chance of coming out of a bad situation intact, as well as giving you confidence going in.  This applies to just about everything in life!

HARD TARGET

Ok, this is attempt #3, I remember this being much easier when done verbally. In lieu of going into a long explanation I will cut this down to the bare basics which can be expanded upon as required.

A Hard Target, is a person with a proactive mindset and pre-planned responses to a potential security threat. A thief by nature is a lazy person, which is why a 9 to 5 is of no interest to them. They are looking for the quick, easy payday.

A "Soft Target" is an individual who clearly has no plan, whatsoever. They are easily spotted, they do not blend, they are clearly disoriented, and are focused on whatever that phrase was to ask where their hotel is. Their body language is one of uncertainty, and stress. Once "Tagged" by the bad guy it is only a matter of time.

There are several factors, or learned behaviors to become a Hard Target.

Mindset;

Confidence, you must project confidence or it will not work. Ok, easier said than done, Not really. What you are thinking is reflected in your body language. Learn to project confidence, think of how you are in your own home. Relaxed, sure of your self and surroundings. This habit can be done anywhere, with some work, it is pretty simple, keep your head up, scan the area, look people in the eye. In short, act like you own the place. Your body language will be more open and relaxed. If someone gives you more than a passing glance, they may be one to keep an eye on. Learn to observe what is around you, not just look. When you can spot the guy working the waitress or bartender you are on the right track.
Use your senses to evaluate what is happening around you. Then you can employ the proper response. The key is to evaluate a situation and to determine if there is a potential threat, before it begins.

Learned Habits;

As you prepare to go out for whatever reason, manage your inventory. What do I need and not need, all the rest is extra. Think about where you are going. Do I need to wear that gold necklace to the park? Do I need all five credit cards? Are you taking the bus after shopping or a taxi? Will you be alone or with others? Do you have a system to let someone know where you are and where you will be? Do you have a person you can be in contact with by phone or text while out.? Are all your eggs in one basket, or are you using a money belt, dividing your money between pockets etc. What kind of bag will you use to carry things? Is it easy to hang onto, does it close with zippers?
Look before you leap, observe your intended path before blindly walking into a crowd. On the street or in the mall, periodically stop and look behind you. Not a halt, spin, stare.. Just a casual pause, look into a window or check the time. If you are being tailed, you should notice someone trying to act normal. Walk into a shop, when you come out are they still there? This is decision time. Select one of your pre-planned responses. 
Use you senses, don't let yourself be focused on one thing for a length of time or you may miss what is going on around you.

Pre Planned Responses;

This may be the hardest part, you need to sit down and really think. What will I do if?
Your response should be tailored to your environment. No need to worry about tornado's in Quito. There are plenty of things to think about.

Fire, flooding, earth quake, volcanoes, civil disobedience, riot, looting, attackers, weapons, animals, pick pockets, muggers, gangs, drunks etc.

Your response must me as simple as possible, and realistic, unless you run a 4 minute mile, don't plan on running. What if a weapon is used to assault you? Your response could be a tear filled breakdown to a passive aggressive stance to protect yourself. Only you know what you are capable of.

REGARDLESS OF YOUR SITUATION I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO FIGHT

In the end, it is simply not worth the potential risk. The objective is to present a problem for a possible thief, through your mindset and actions cause the thief to move on to someone else. I know that sounds harsh, but this is real life. As they say,"You don't need to faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to you".

As far as specifics to Quito, I will give some tips I use;

1. Do not use a bus during peak times, when it is like a can of herring.
2. Always text taxi information to family member, then a follow up to say I made it.
3. Never leave the house without letting someone know where I am going, how I intend to get there, and when I plan to be home.
4. Only carry what I need with me.
5. Divide valuables between pockets, money belt etc.
6. Never accept food or drinks from a person unknown, anywhere, anytime. Even if they appear closed or new.
7. Always maintain a minimum of a half a tank of gas in the car.
8. Always have at least one spare bottle of home gas.
9. Always carry a bottle of water for myself. Plus power bars.         
10. When walking on the street, keep to street side not along wall by doorways and alley entrances.
11. Keep my head on a swivel, always looking, listening and seeing what is going on around me. Not just straight ahead, but up, down, into dark places before I pass etc.
12. Check news, Embassy site, track what is going on in the city.

I cannot stress enough how a positive, confident mindset and posture are seen by others. I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped or approached by people asking if I am Military, Law Enforcement, the owner of the place, etc. When I ask, why they ask me this, the response is always the same. Because of the way you walk, stand, act, you seem very aware, you give off the presence of a person in charge..... Just the other day in a store a nice older woman stopped me and stated "I know you are Military". When I asked why, she said " Both of my boys were Military, and you all have the same swagger when you walk, and that stern look on your face". What could I say? Guilty as charged.

There is much more I could share, and will if there is interest. I hope this at least gives you an idea of what I was trying to convey. I hope it is a help to you and your families.

As they say "Knowledge is power".

One thing I failed to mention, I am only 5'11" with a profile like a zipper.

GMC out...

Wow...I think I'm overwhelmed....

The one thing I can pick out of it that I would have trouble with and has been discussed before.

How do you screen the legal from the illegal taxis?

In Quito there is a way of determining from the license plate somehow

What do you do with the two way set up? You get picked up and then driven to the driver's accomplice and robbed or worse.

This one I've heard about. I think in GYE. You get picked up and driven to every ATM they can find till you're cleaned out

So you advise calling or texting and giving the taxi information and where you're going before you leave and when you get home safely.....

The emergency response by police or ambulance is much slower than  the US.. It would be a fait accompli by the time help arrived

So I've lived in big cities and don't usually don't worry about stuff like this. A lot of the things you talk about sort of come naturally because of that. But the idea of having to be home before it gets dark doesn't sit well. In an American city that's when you would get a cab

The other thing I read recently here is that if theft is less than$600 the police won't do anything not that I'd ever carry that much anyway or have it at home

So the best advice I've read and would reduce the chances of a problem is not to hail cabs on the street...rather have one called by someone in the location you are

The only other solution I can come up with is to have your own "personal" driver that you make prior arrangements with and use exclusively. So you tip them well and they look out for you

Thanks

GMC(SW) wrote:

Learn to project confidence....On the street or in the mall, periodically stop and look behind you....
REGARDLESS OF YOUR SITUATION I DO NOT RECOMMEND TRYING TO FIGHT

As far as specifics to Quito....
4. Only carry what I need with me.
5. Divide valuables between pockets, money belt etc.
6. Never accept food or drinks from a person unknown, anywhere, anytime.
7. Always maintain a minimum of a half a tank of gas in the car.
9. Always carry a bottle of water for myself. Plus power bars.       

I cannot stress enough how a positive, confident mindset and posture are seen by others.

Great post, GMC. :top:

I'm posting from the Hotel Quito where I was earlier observing the hotel shift boss -- at least that's how I would approximate his position -- carrying himself exactly as you described.

I've excerpted some of my favorites among your recommendations at the top of this post ... as they deserve to be reviewed repeatedly.

Zippered bag or not? What point were you making? (A tiny thief unzipped my belt pouch on the Ecovía bus line last December and got my cellphone.  I stopped using that pouch some time later.)

cccmedia in Quito

Another point that could be mentioned that has helped me is always sit facing thing the door and as close as you can to an exit

suefrankdahl wrote:
sueb4bs wrote:

Dumb topic IMO but oh,
so popular esp among gringitos.

Yeah maybe it is a "dumb" topic in your opinion and yes it was started by a gringito. Actually someone on the EC Forum team. It now appears on many of the other countries' Forums.

Much of the obvious HAS already been stated. If you type "crime in Ecuador" into the search box above you'll find at least 10 threads on the subject so maybe this one isn't necessary

Given some of the postings here on the EC Forum it is painfully obvious that some of the expats and potential expats do come from Podunk USA. People that are really fearful of crime are the ones that become victims and probably shouldn't expatriate to a city in a 3rd world country where they don't speak the language

So the thread does serve a purpose to people just starting to look at EC as a retirement destination

Totally agree , it's a great topic, expats who planing to move must have some answers specially who will move with kids , And yes their is some countries u can sleep with ur main house entrance  unlocked door .

suefrankdahl wrote:

I think in GYE...You get picked up and driven to every ATM they can find till you're cleaned out.

This is secuestro exprés, and yes, it historically has been most prevalent in Guayaquil.  There were 50 such robberies a month in GYE during 2012.

1.  The fewer times you carry your ATM cards, the less likely the thieves can pull this trick.

2.  You'll probably be outnumbered, so give them want they want, and you will probably survive physically uninjured.

3.  Don't anger them by pretending you don't know your ATM pin.

4.  These malditos may be evident especially during the 11 p.m. hour, on the theory they can have you withdraw your daily maximum before midnight, and theoretically withdraw another daily maximum at 12:01 a.m.

5.  This point may vary bank to bank.  The maximum withdrawal on my Banco de Guayaquil card is $100.  So under certain circumstances, it may be better to carry your local EC bank card instead of higher-limit cards if you are choosing which single card to carry.

cccmedia in Quito

suefrankdahl wrote:

The only other solution I can come up with is to have your own "personal" driver that you make prior arrangements with and use exclusively.

That's a good strategy.  Nighttime drivers are usually glad to give out their phone numbers, so if you find one you like, take it down.

Easy Taxi, now operating in Ecuador's largest three cities, is an option for app-capable Expats with mobile devices.  Call a pre-screened cab via the Internet and track its progress in your direction.  More details at www.easytaxi.com ... Many of the swankier places in Quito can now request your cab via the Easy Taxi app.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia wrote:

Easy Taxi, now operating in Ecuador's largest three cities, is an option for app-capable Expats with mobile devices.  Call a pre-screened cab via the Internet and track its progress in your direction.  More details at www.easytaxi.com ... Many of the swankier places in Quito can now request your cab via the Easy Taxi app.

cccmedia in Quito

Can't vouch for easytaxi, but would assume it's pretty much along the same basis as Uber, and Lyft. Having recently tried both Uber, and Lyft, am pretty certain will never use a regular taxi service again. They are just far superior to regular taxis, and cabs. If easytaxi is offering the same type services in Ecuador, I'd highly recommend giving it a try. At least for nightime use.

Like anywhere else in the world you need to use a lot of common sense and know your surroundings.
When we visited Quito and Cuenca this year we were told by many taxi and tour operators who are locals where not to go at night and where to be cautious during the day.
If you take a taxi to and from a Ballet or concert at 9:00pm you are less likely to find trouble then if you go to the seedy part of town and hang out at a bar until you are no longer sober and try to walk home yourself at 2 AM is only saying come and get me.
My wife and I would go out at night, but only on well lit streets with plenty of auto and pedestrian traffic while stores and restaurants are still open. We did not walk these streets dressed up and carrying money and wearing jewelry. I grew up in New York City and worked in Chicago and I treat my travels to any country with the same caution.

Having lived in Cuenca I can tell you that I always felt safe but I am 6' 1" and 190 lbs.  I walked all times of day and night.  I knew almost all the ex-pats in Cuenca that were social butterflies like myself and only heard of one getting robbed in Cuenca and she was a small girl walking home alone and drunk at 2AM.  Guayaquil is a different story.  All my Ecuadoran friends warn you against traveling alone in GYE.  Many bloggers write a personal story about muggings there.  Quito, I never had a problem but I only spent a few days there and the legal taxis all have a meter inside that give a rate like American taxis.  Non-sanctioned taxis have no meter and the drivers negotiate a price.  I traveled all over Ecuador and a family in Cuenca kind of adopted me and took me somewhere new every weekend.  I rented a room from a girl I met at a brewery opening for $150 a month and had many BBQ's with her and her family.  I ,enjoyed Cuenca immensely and will return as soon as I am able.  Banos was nice also but full of tourists...haha.  Just use your head.  If you stay out late have the bartender call you a taxi.  If you have more questions just write me at [email protected].

I've never had a problem anywhere in Ecuador, GYE,Quito nor Salinas. But I'm also 6'2, 200 AA and goes to the gym 5x a week. on the other side I don't show out, flash money or really draw too much attention to myself either.

Isn't it amazing that you have to tell people not to flash money and act rich so they don't get robbed?

Because people go down there for the first time and lose their minds about the price of things. its easy to go down there and show out

It can also be simple things like pulling out your cell phone to take a picture in a crowd (not even a dense crowd) and having it grabbed from your hand…….Guayaquil is a different place though……most concerning are the mottos, generally with 2 persons……very mobile, very fast……..and the ones I am aware of were always armed….

GYE is like a different country; much like Cali, Columbia.  I urge women and older men to stay away from both.  Peruvian beaches are less crowded then Ecuador but harder to visit.  If you are an adventurer and have some Spanish skill then see if you can find Capurgana, Columbia...the most beautiful beach on earth (but hell to get to).

Guyaquil is definitely different……but you can spend time there safely, but only if you have somebody to guide you……at least that is my opinion from living there over the past 3 years……
On an unrelated topic, the beaches of northern Peru, Mancura and Punta Sal are indeed beautiful……not too bad of a drive……..

I dated a nice lady that owned a small almuerzo restaurant down on the docks in GYE.  She told me she had been robbed twice.  One of those being in an unsanctioned taxi.  I stayed at a hotel close by the dock and never felt safe but being alert, aware, and looking like I knew where I was, allowed me to pass unscathed.  I am taller then almost all people in South America though and that was probably a big factor also,

The beaches in northern Peru you can stay alone for $25 a night.  I felt like a king in Zoritos as I had the hotel to myself and enjoyed the ocean and a nice pool.  The difference between Ecuador and Peru are the people.  The Peruvians talk faster with less inflection and it seems like they were are on a hustle.  Where Ecuador is slower, the people are nicer, and in Cuenca the weather is more mild.

You don't think you''re over doing it a bit. People in Ecu have smart phones as well. i think as long if you don't look like that easy tourist you'd be fine. Honestly though, I think being white is a disadvantage in general. There are plenty of blacks down there so people don't give a second look when I'm downtown. if you're white, they already know whats up

Life in Guayaquil……and most are not reported……..
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Six robberies by subjects on board motorcycles were reported in 34 hours
Related news
Two cities apply control on use of motorbikes and cars
The proposal of restricting the mobilization of two people on a motorbike, between 19:00 and 06:00, according to the police, is generating interest in certain social sectors and local authorities.

However, while the municipality studied the proposal, in the Prosecutor's Office still receiving complaints of thefts perpetrated by criminals who use this means of transport, some have been captured by the cameras of the Corporation security citizen of Guayaquil (CSCG) and ECU-911.

One of these was registered on Thursday passed by a Chamber of the CSCG in the avenida Francisco de Orellana, in the North.

The images show a group of at least 20 motor that had robbed the occupants of several vehicles and passers-by.

A report of the CSCG details that "a driver is forced to retreat their March and manages to escape, while a red car is surrounded by the motor that hit the hood of the car and violently stolen passengers...".

So, between Friday and Saturday last, in a span of 34 hours, at the office of the public prosecutor's Office, located in the old barracks model, in the North, six people they reported that subjects on motorcycles took them their belongings in different sectors of the city and at different times of the day.

Jorge Jiménez reported that at 13:10 on Friday two men on a motorcycle approached him and stole cell phones in the El Fortín cooperative in the Northwest. "He's back brandished me a gun and threatening me with death took me two phones and $57."

Hours later, at 21:20, Canelos Carlos was the victim of the theft of the motorcycle driving by the avenida Narcisa de Jesús (Terminal Terrestre-Pascuales), opposite the Citadel Acuarela del Rio.

In the complaint submitted, the victim said that two men approached him on another bike and landed it. You were also the cell.

On Saturday, on the other hand, four people reported similar thefts. At 11:30, said Jorge Sellán, that two men on a motorcycle without plates intercepted him when he was driving his truck by the Ambato Street, between Cáñar and cows Galindo, in the South of the city, and tried to rob him.

When one of the individuals fell of the bike to take money, she told seal, appeared a police patrolman. "The subject that was on the bike alert the thief, then lowered a policeman yelling at one of these subjects who threw to the floor, where I was pointing left me and jumped on the bike giving flight...".

According to the victim, began a chase and shots were heard, but at the end the criminals escaped.

Milton Viteri, Rosley Ruiz and Christian Meza also denounced in the Prosecutor's Office that they were victims of criminals in moto, between 14:30 and 23:30 on Saturday. (I)

AMDG wrote:

Life in Guayaquil……and most are not reported……..
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Six robberies by subjects on board motorcycles were reported in 34 hours
Related news
Two cities apply control on use of motorbikes and cars
The proposal of restricting the mobilization of two people on a motorbike, between 19:00 and 06:00, according to the police, is generating interest in certain social sectors and local authorities.

However, while the municipality studied the proposal, in the Prosecutor's Office still receiving complaints of thefts perpetrated by criminals who use this means of transport, some have been captured by the cameras of the Corporation security citizen of Guayaquil (CSCG) and ECU-911.

One of these was registered on Thursday passed by a Chamber of the CSCG in the avenida Francisco de Orellana, in the North.

The images show a group of at least 20 motor that had robbed the occupants of several vehicles and passers-by.

A report of the CSCG details that "a driver is forced to retreat their March and manages to escape, while a red car is surrounded by the motor that hit the hood of the car and violently stolen passengers...".

So, between Friday and Saturday last, in a span of 34 hours, at the office of the public prosecutor's Office, located in the old barracks model, in the North, six people they reported that subjects on motorcycles took them their belongings in different sectors of the city and at different times of the day.

Jorge Jiménez reported that at 13:10 on Friday two men on a motorcycle approached him and stole cell phones in the El Fortín cooperative in the Northwest. "He's back brandished me a gun and threatening me with death took me two phones and $57."

Hours later, at 21:20, Canelos Carlos was the victim of the theft of the motorcycle driving by the avenida Narcisa de Jesús (Terminal Terrestre-Pascuales), opposite the Citadel Acuarela del Rio.

In the complaint submitted, the victim said that two men approached him on another bike and landed it. You were also the cell.

On Saturday, on the other hand, four people reported similar thefts. At 11:30, said Jorge Sellán, that two men on a motorcycle without plates intercepted him when he was driving his truck by the Ambato Street, between Cáñar and cows Galindo, in the South of the city, and tried to rob him.

When one of the individuals fell of the bike to take money, she told seal, appeared a police patrolman. "The subject that was on the bike alert the thief, then lowered a policeman yelling at one of these subjects who threw to the floor, where I was pointing left me and jumped on the bike giving flight...".

According to the victim, began a chase and shots were heard, but at the end the criminals escaped.

Milton Viteri, Rosley Ruiz and Christian Meza also denounced in the Prosecutor's Office that they were victims of criminals in moto, between 14:30 and 23:30 on Saturday. (I)

Ah yes, more fine times in Ecuador's most dangerous big city.

The fact that the cops don't even pay attention to robberies in which under $600 was taken and no one was seriously hurt means that GYE is even more dangerous that the statistics indicate.

cccmedia in Quito

A correspondent from J--------, USA, writes via PM messaging:

"I read today in the Spanish language section...a Spanish gentleman who visits every year says to stay away from these areas in South Quito:  Quitumbe, Chillogallos, Guamani, etc."

That "etc." could be a wide-ranging area just itself.

I just stay out of all of South Quito except the shopping districts of Villaflores and El Recreo.  That's easier to remember.

Oh, I did make a couple of trips to the famous San Roque market area last year, but that was specifically during weekdays only and when there was plenty of daylight.

cccmedia in Quito

RE: US State Department warnings...that PS mentioned on Education thread

That was one of the first things I looked at after all the IL and Kathleen Peddiford propaganda started coming to my inbox.

In 3 years it does not seem to have been updated. It did seem at the time to be a  bit exaggerated  Remedies and preventative measures are offered through most of it. If there were new concerns of any significance I think it would have been updated given the number of US expats.

The "secuestro express" (?sp) taxi crime is perhaps less likely now that the cabs are metered (in Quito anyway) but still a concern. They are more accountable.

Like any big city in the world you need to take precautions and be sensible. There were lots of good suggestions on the "Is EC a good place for a single 60 year old woman to retire" thread and some of the crime threads. The State Dept also has a list of suggestions.

Things have to be put in perspective. Natural disasters.....think about your risks driving on any American interstate....volcanoes....think of Hawaii... If you have serious medical issues you probably shouldn't live on the coast because health care is limited.....If you look at the State Dept's Travel warning page( current as of 7/29/15) there is world wide caution for every continent except Australia and they have issues as well.....something I never saw before was an entire page dealing with abductions on many countries. That and terrorism not such a big deal in EC... Political unrest is minimal and can be avoided for the most part.....Ecuador is invested in attracting pensioners and is on the world stage as a place to retire.

There was a botched kidnap for ransom(I think last year) of an elderly couple. They were saved and all four perps  caught before they reached the Colombian border. The mastermind was an American female national.

The other thing that was mentioned in the warning was intercity buses being stopped in the middle of nowhere and everyone robbed by gangs of banditos. I've been told it has never happened. Think I would choose to fly anyway rather than be on a bus winding through mountain roads for hours.

In looking at these State Dept warnings it seems they have to cover every base and report anything that's ever happened. It's like the paperwork you get from the pharmacy with your meds, every possible side effect that has ever been reported.

Read the whole thread...there is a lot of good info and advice.

The other thing I think factors into it is the less than harmonious relationship with the US. It is kind of a high level of diplomatic dissing.

Look up the travel warnings for some of the places you HAVE been. A lot scarier than EC :|