Safety in Puerto Rico

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Puerto Rico?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Puerto Rico and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I live in Fajardo and I have never felt threatened or in danger here. Actually most strangers I have had occasion to interact with have been very helpful and friendly. I seldom go out after dark but I bicycle a lot and walk in unpopulated areas. I live in a gated community with 24 hour security and I'm not sure how I'd feel or if my experience would be different living in another town or in a city.

I don't live there yet but stayed weeks at a time in different locations.  Rincon, Guanica, Rio Grande have all been very positive experiences for us.  We've never ever felt unsafe and have always walked the neighborhoods, especially early mornings.  We are not evening out type people so have not had any experiences there.  It has been all good for us :)

Hi, I am born and raise in the island. I moved to the mainland about 20 years ago, but travel back and forth every year. Currently we had become empty nesters and looking into moving back to the island. I follow the news in the island and it had been about the same for the past 20 years. Most of the crime is concentrate around the metropolitan area and is closely related to the drug word. PR news are very sensationalist (that's what's sells), Yes crime is high, but a lot of it is related to drugs and between drug groups. We have never had any issue when we lived there in our younger years or every time we visit. With that said, we always are aware of our surroundings and use common sense.  Our house is located in the west part of the island (Sabana Grande), they been working on the house for the last year, leaving tools and equipment in the property and never had an issue. I am not saying is 100% safe (nobody can guaranty that) but been away for major cities is less the chances of having crime problems.

Overall I will say is like any town, you have the good parts and the not so good. Be aware of your surroundings, use common sense and you will reduce the chances of been a victim of crime.

I also visit back and forth. Most of the crime is drug related, but there is also theft. Most of it in the metro area and mostly by teens and fairly young adults.
I would suggest walking with another person, not showing money or expensive items.
When you go to the beach or somewhere where you are going away from the car, don't make the mistake of locking valuables and electronics in the car or trunk if you are in plain sight. It is possible someone saw you doing it. Put them away before you reach the destination so as you arrive there is no hint that there is something worth stealing.
Most time you will not have an issue at all, but keep an eye on young people hanging at corners or following you if you are carrying valuables.
In short, drugs related crimes and crimes of opportunity, those are invited by your actions on the street. There is a lot of unemployment.
It is not more than you would have in other mainland locations where there is poverty and unemployment.
Relax

I live in Condado and feel pretty safe. I guess it's a touristy area, so there are a lot of police around. The thing I worry about the most are some of the homeless people that hang on Ashford. For the most part they are harmless, but appear emotionally disturbed, and they usually have pitbulls.

I will say, crime is every ware (look at Chicago this past weekend), you may need to be aware and practice common sense. Limit going out after dark, as previous comments, watch your valuables, don't flash money around. I can say the west part of the island is safer than been in the metro zone, but petty thief are crimes of opportunity, don't give one.

We live in Quebradilla, which is a small town on the northwest coast of Puerto Rico, we have been here for a year and knock on wood have never had a problem. We usually are in at night but have gone out a little here and there and we used to walk to and from town before we had a car and everyone is very friendly and often offered us "pon" which is a lift.

We come from NY, Long Island specifically and  have also lived in the city and as with every where nowadays, you just have to be aware of your surroundings and don't go into areas which you are not familiar with. 

I was very happy to see the post about the good areas of the metro are because we had thought of moving to the metro area originally but were not sure where it would be safe and not. Now we are in the county and love it.

Tonie

To put it in perspective, see this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015 … /29879091/
I rather be robbed than shot.

We started out living in OSJ and are now in Bayamón.  Metro SJ is like any other city environment - use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.  I grew up in and around NYC - no different.

No problems at all walking around at night in OSJ.  There's a pretty big police presence and lots of families are out and about.  I must say that OSJ is one of the most beautiful cities at night, especially along the Paseo and along El Morro.

We've lived here about two years and so far we've been robbed twice. The first time some items were taken from our car, the second, our house was robbed while we were sleeping. All electronics, small items, keys, purse etc, gone. We had to change all our locks, including 5 on the car.

We live in a gated condo complex in Vega Baja but the security guards here do a very routine on the hour walk through and then go back to their home, not really effective. I have had to call the police once since the robbery due to someone trying to break into all the cars around the lot. After that they finally decided to put up additional fortifiers around the wall.

In general I feel fine going about my business here but I have to be very diligent in not keeping things in my car, which frankly, is a pain. Even small items like shoes and umbrellas. (those were the only items in my car when it was broken into)

You also have to very aware of your surroundings at all times, something I'm not really enjoying but getting used to. My neighbor was running on the beach one early morning and was attacked in broad daylight, I have men following me out to my car when I run errands all the time. I know they just want money but it's a very unsettling feeling when your arms are full of bags and you turn around and someone is 3 feet behind you.

The problem mainly stems from the many young men in this area that are strung out on horse tranquilizers and only care about their next fix. With virtually no rehabilitation services on the island, the drug problem is epidemic. These guys will literally walk in the road w/o a care, breaking into your car is nothing to them. If you're interested, National Geographic did a doc on the situation titled "Drugs Inc, Zombie island" yeah, cheesy title but eye opening.

Bottom line, take precautions (yes, WAY more than you normally would) secure your home well and never leave anything in your car. If you go to a crowded event try to park within eyesight of a family group or police officer. Btw, NO, the entire PD is not corrupt as many would have you believe, the two times I had to deal with them they were very concerned, thorough and helpful. Like most PD, I'm sure they have their share of bad apples but not to the extent I have been hearing.

All in all, I'm not going to alter my life due to my experiences but I probably will never let my guard down either. The majority of ppl here are incredibly friendly, warm and hospitable, that more than makes up for it.

Thank you, Karen for sharing your experience.  Hopefully, you'll have no more incidents!

Safety in PR? No such thing.

Nomad, I would disagree. Yes the island has it's share of crime no more than any other major city in America. But like in many cities it have its safe parts. I can say for sure that when we are in our town we feel safe, yes you are aware of your surroundings same way That I'm in Dallas.

We have a house that was built in Rio Grande five years ago, and have never had problems with break-ins, and it has been vacant for months at a time before we listed it on various vacation home websites a year ago.  However, all entries to the house are set up with rejas to be locked down like Fort Knox and is located behind a non-ostentatious iron gate.  A few years ago, a house at the top of the mountain was broken into and $7k in cash was stolen (who keeps that kind of money around?!)

I agree with all of the comments about being aware of your surroundings and not blatantly showing possessions on you or in your vehicle.  We also do not venture out at night very often unless we absolutely have to, and then stay in well-lit areas that we are familiar with. 

I was also amazed how beautiful Old San Juan is to walk around at night, and family-friendly, with food vendors, music and dancing, and places to sit outside and have a drink or people watch.  I now prefer OSJ more at night than in the sweltering heat of the day.

OSJ is definitely better at night. Mornings before 9:30 are lovely too.

I disagree with those who say that crime rates in the States and PR are comparable. Take murder for example: In Chicago, the rate is 15 per 100,000; in PR, it's 27 per 100,000 (as of 2012 statistics). And that's comparing a city with the entire island of PR.

Fajardo's murder rate was 36 per 100,000 in 2013. Baltimore's was 37 per 100,000, so that is an apt comparison, although hardly favorable.

And sure, most of it is drug related, but as the perpetrators are often not prosecuted, they're free to murder over and over again. It's not like the only victims in PR are in the drug trade. Many are the victims of robbery-homicides.

At least I read that the murder rate is down for now.

Incidentally, some of you know about my aunt in-law, who was shot dead in a church along with her son. I also have a friend in the PR police who was shot in the face point-blank. By some miracle, the bullet passed along his cheekbone and exited his head near his ear without causing major damage beyond nerve damage.

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, Nomad, my condolences!

We just visit on and off before and 2 month ago we moved to the Bayamon erea.
I love PR, I go out where ever day or night. I think it is just like any other "big" city. Yes you need to watch out.
My experience so far, most people are friendly. And if you go with a positiv mind you mostly get positiv back.
Be an example, there need to change there mind set. Not be so selfish.
I hope one day this place will be like Hawaii .

Silvia Natal wrote:

We just visit on and off before and 2 month ago we moved to the Bayamon erea.
I love PR, I go out where ever day or night. I think it is just like any other "big" city. Yes you need to watch out.
My experience so far, most people are friendly. And if you go with a positiv mind you mostly get positiv back.
Be an example, there need to change there mind set. Not be so selfish.
I hope one day this place will be like Hawaii .

Never been to Hawaii, how does PR and Hawaii differ?

The country is as safe as anywhere in the world.  As far as San Juan, I have never felt as safe in any large city.  Having lived here two years, I have driven through nearly every part of the city after 10pm, and feel comfortable for my safety going to any store or restaurant anywhere.  But of course, in any large city you need to pay attention to your surroundings.  And I have never been to La Perla (adjacent to El Morro) as everyone says you only go there for drugs.      I came from Santa Barbara CA, well known to have zero crime.  But my friend had a gun in his face once, so it can happen anywhere.

Bottom line - Puerto Rico is one of the safest places in the US - but after dark, always pay attention.

My experience. One year in the pr west mountains. Pitch black at night. No "gated" anything. At night i can see a few neighbors house lights off a bit. And millions of stars. I feel safer here than anywhere I ever lived on the mainland. I sleep peacefully with an open window to the sounds of many coqui. I made it a point to learn some spanish and get to know all my neighbors here. So many mainlanders don't do this. The Puerto Ricans I know are beautiful people, so unlike the many hateful ones I knew on the mainland.
I do have a rescue dog, but he is not much of a guard dog. I have never been off my mountain except to shop for essentials (which are expensive)so I don't know much about the other places.

Poorboy; That's how I'd describe where in live, in the mountains of Rincon!

Dear Poor Boy,

I completely agree.  I am in Rincon, in the Estella neighborhood.  The countryside and this little town feel perfectly safe!! We've been here 3 months.  I sleep on my balcony because I love the fresh air and the sound of the frogs.  I know that NomadLawyer has had bad experiences (sorry!!).  I know the murder rate is higher, but I do not feel uncomfortable or unsafe in my area.  I have to understand murder rates better before I speak about any of it.  I lived in Chicago too.  There are places you just don't go.  Really. Of course, that was back in the 70s. The population of Chicago is over 2.7 million, of the whole island of Puerto Rico is 3.5 million.  By saying one is a city and one is an island doesn't give a comparison.  Chicago has a lot of people..and there are suburbs too!

Overall, I love it here!  We are going back.  I have my house here for a year.  My renters in my house on the mainland left, so have to go clean up odds and ends, but I love the people, the chickens in my neighborhood :) it's great!  Oh - I live near Mac...I see he replied on this post. 

Ah, Mac, life got away with us, but we'll be back!!

Enjoy the coqui :( I'll miss them, the ocean, and the chickens!

Liz

Liz, are you going back for good or just to clear up things in the states and are returning?  I was hoping to meet you next Feb.

Oops, I just saw that you have your home in Rincon for a year.

Hi Schuttzie, as of now reality beckons.  I'm  a Phd living on minimum wage. I gotta go make some cash before I live the retirement lifestyle!! ha ha!  so we will have the place.

do you have my email.  I'll send you a message

Liz, I got your message!