Moving to Costa Rica in a month. Want to bring my little dog.

Hello,
My name is Mike and I am moving from Denver, CO to Costa Rica.
I am just wanting any information in regards to bringing my little 10lb. Shi Tzu. I bought a ticket with Spirit Airlines but found out that they do not let you bring pets on International flights.
Now I am shopping for another flight, so she can travel with me.
I have read, that all I need is her shots up to date, within 30 days of traveling.
I could use any advice.
Thanks, Mike

Hi, Mike. This info on bringing pets comes from the US embassy:http://costarica.usembassy.gov/dogs-cats-to-cr.html

Mike.  You can get the most current requirements from the US Embassy website.  I brought a 40lb dog down here two months ago.  I had to get a rabies shot MORE than 30 days from departure.  Then I had to have the dog examined with 10 days of departure, and overnight the forms to the US Dept of Agriculture w/ a prepaid return overnight envelope.  Got that back with one day to go.   Then due to her size, had to get a new kennel cage that permited her to stand up.   you should be able to take your dog inside with you given her weight.  go visit your airline of choice at your airport prior to departure.   I flew AA and their local counter was very helpful and knowledgable.  good luck.

Thank you for the reply. I did call and agricultural department and they did tell me that stuff. But I did notice that you said that she needs to get a physical within 10 days. Today is the 28th and I am planning on leaving on August the 12th., I have a appointment at the vets today or her updated shots and physical. When you say within 10 days am I doing this too early I just have made at least 10 days in advance? Hopefully you will see this reply and get back to me today thank you for replying to my post.

Our two cats had to be checked sometime in the ten day window prior to our departure, so yes you will be early.  There were some shots that had to be greater than two weeks in advance so we had to do the rabies thing greater than 30 days, then the shots greater than two weeks, and finally the physical ten days or less prior to departure.  Best of luck!

the exam within ten days of departure is to be sure the pet does not have rabies or other disease as there can be some delay in showing of symptoms.   thus the requirement of the rabies shot more than 30 days and then the exam w/in the 10 day departure window.   If your vet does not know these rules, go find a petsmart store.  they have vets in the store that know these rules.  that is where I had to go because my little vet didn't have any knowledge of these issues.   outside her normal practice. 

call around and ask , you 'll find a vet that will know what you need.  I was told my dog actually needed an immunnization for some other disease that began with an L.  like letho or something.   

If you depart on 8/12/15, your final exam must take place on the 2nd or later.