Obtaining a Bulgarian bank account?

Hello forum members, what are the basic requirements to obtain a Bulgarian bank account please? ID: required etc.....(how long does it take to process?)
Also is it possible to then set up direct debits for various bills outgoings, example utilities bills, council tax, tv licence, etc....
If I use the house on a as and when basis will I just pay for what I use? (ie: May to September??)
Sorry if questions seem a little obvious but with no actual experience on this subject even the simple things you take for granted in your homeland can become a little daunting.
Kind regards Steve.

Opening a bank account is very simple just bring your ID/paspoort and a proof of that you are living at the address like a rental contract or something like that..... you dont need a residence card for opening a account.

I would suggest just go to a bank and they are very willing to help you and most of them there speak English i have Unicredit Bullbank and i had my Debitcard after one week.

Depending on the bank, it can take a couple of hours or up to a day to open an account for a foreigner. Most banks offer direct billpay, which you can either set up to pay as soon as your bill comes in or you can review the bill first and then make the payment. Most also allow you to easily pay into other people's accounts (which is how we pay our rent, summer camp fees, etc.).

When you ask if you will only pay for the months you are here, are you talking about the bank or the services? The bank, you will have to pay the fees (usually just 1-2 bgn a month, more if you have internet banking and sms banking and a designer debit card) every month. For things like internet and television, you can get it turned off and on every year. I know our internet does not have a fee to restart the internet within one year--- you simply go in and pay your next bill (they do not accept online payments, ironically.) and if you want to turn it off, you just don't pay your bill for the next month.

Hi mate,,I popped in to Unicredit Bulbank with Passport,,Title Deeds(proof of address) Phone no,,account opened there and then with 50lev deposit,,then other visit 4 days later to pick up bank card,,with Bulbank you can set up Utilitiy bills,,Internet,,not sure about Municipal tax or TV licence,hav,nt got one yet ha,,ta for reminder,,,you can set all direct debits up online,,,,

be aware all your contracts will be in Bulgarian,,my local friend (interpreter) helped me big time with electric & water companies,,transferring contracts to my name,,so important you have interpreter,,companies will tell you that mate

Did you simply use your passport to obtain the bank account?which one do you think is best.

Did you need anything other than a passport? Any other info ?

I went to one bank and they asked for my passport and they wanted an additional ID number....similar to a national ID number, which I do not have..did you encounter this? Is there any other number that can be substituted?

What did they ask for and which bank did you go to?

I opened an account with Postbank and they just required my passport. My passport number is the number they use for identification.

So, you too are living in Varna? You just went to the postbank, popped in and used nothing but your passport ? Ok, that sounds better than my experience, where they were asking for a national ID number, as well....appreciate your help

I am in Varna, yeah.

That is all they wanted from me (and the deposit of course which was like 10 leva). Just fill in the form, pay the deposit, give the passport and come back in 1 week to get my card / pin.

It is *impossible* for you to have a national ID card / foreigners number (which is what I am assuming they want) as to get one of these, you need a bank statement from a Bulgarian bank showing you have at least the minimum wage for 1 month in there (I just put in 350 lev 2 years ago and it was fine).

Yes most banks only require passport (I've opened accounts with less) I have UniCredit and they are really good. I have an acc in Postbank but I'm not happy with them so I'll be moving that acc somewhere else.

How about visa and mastercard?do the banks give visa or mastercard by opening acc?

They do give Visa. I think Mastercard is an option in most places as I do recall seeing it somewhere but not 100% sure.

Societe General offers various visa credit and debit cards as well as two different mastercards, all with different fees (mastercard being the most expensive).

Almost there 2015 wrote:

I went to one bank and they asked for my passport and they wanted an additional ID number....similar to a national ID number, which I do not have..did you encounter this? Is there any other number that can be substituted?

Couldn't you give them your Irish national ID number?

I opened a account with the United Bulgarian Bank (Burgas) and only had to provide my passport. This was May this year,