Safety in Israel

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Israel?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Israel and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Hi there!

I like this question because I often think about it in Israel!  I find it amazing that Israel is one of the safest countries I've been to in terms of personal safety at night. Its so refreshing as a woman to not have to think too much that!
It ironic that in a country at war its so safe internally.

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

VERY SAFE!

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Completely!
I have lived in Tel Aviv, London, Cambridge, Cape Town, Pretoria, San Francisco, Fort Collins (Colorado), and Rio de Janeiro.

Ok so some of these are known as dangerous cities, but still Tel Aviv is by far the safest (with Fort Collins maybe a fairly distant second).
I feel completely safe walking around in Tel Aviv on my own at any hour of the night even in a short dress (i dont do heels) -and my Israeli friends never shown anything even close to concern for me walking home alone- and no this isn't because they aren't as polite as english gentlemen! :p 

Yes you have to be vigilant of course as always; don't go swinging a prada hangbag around while falling over drunk on the sidewalk and you should be fine! And yes you should avoid the beach alone if its quiet, and the poorer, refugee areas are probably best to avoid, but its quite easy to do that if you ask anyone they can tell you the few streets to avoid.
But I walk down Allenby at 4am on a friday no problems.. I have never been approached or felt unsafe in the 5 years I have lived here.
There is the monit sherut taxibus that runs almost all night and is very safe. 
There are so many people out all night that its never really that 'danger' time that you have walking back from the night bus in London.
I also don't ever hear about rape or muggings in the news but dont quote me on the stats!

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions

I think although there is a lot of tension on the surface and it erupts in certain areas and situations, your average day is void of issues- even in Jaffa there is very little tension until something kicks off in Gaza or the West Bank and then its perhaps a little more tense - but truthfully I just feel a bit awkward rather than at risk.

I think there are more crimes recently than a few years ago due to immigration from Russia leading to a lot of alcoholism (linked to unemployment?) within their social groups, but if I see a group of drunks hanging out on the street they don't really even notice me walking past.

I don't know why its safer- maybe because after the army, young men don't want anything to do with violence or crime - maybe they are better off than other countries in general- or maybe im just naive.

I have been living in Israel since 1975 and have always felt secure in %90 of the places, including my residence Kefar Tabor.

Hi
You mean is it safe to walk in the streets ? Depends on the area. The central part of Israel is mostly safe for walking day and night, except of the  Tel-Aviv former central bus station. This headquarter,  located in the southern Tel-Aviv is better to be avoid in any time. In Jerusalem the situation may change in a moment from friendly relaxed atmosphere to brutal clashes between police and radical religious groups - Jewish or Arabs. So feeling safe in Jerusalem is a question of timing, it is always recommended to get an updated information before going there, especially in the Old City.

Israël is one of the saftest country in the world, a woman can walk late in the streets, Israelis and Jews generally are not a violent people, tradition of words and thoughts, one of the best country in the world to live in.